Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subzero Weather Package. Worth it or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of finalizing my order and debating about the subzero package. I know it is a new feature and no one has any experience with it on the model S but was hoping if anyone has had similar features on another car? Was it worth it? How useful are the wiper blade defrosters? The rear seat heaters are a nice touch but don't feel it is really necessary since you can turn on the heat remotely to get the car warmed up.
FYI: I live in Ohio.
Would love to push the "Confirm" button as soon as possible!!! :)

First, as any other Alaskan would have done, I chuckled at the naming of this option. If Truth In Advertising held, I would suggest "Mild Weather Package" a more appopriate handle. But what's a giggle in Alaska could be Just Right in Ohio.

Second, regardless of that, I did include it when I confirmed my order the other day. That was, nevertheless. with the full knowledge that it will NOT make a Model S the go-to rig for driving in our winters!

Third, and most important, my over-the-phone marketer, Annie, told me that Tesla has determined those rear seat heaters are, in fact, the most efficient way the Model S has of bringing the cabin up to temp - significantly better than the air-circulated heater. Hmm. Intriguing.

Fourth, in my experience, wiper blade defrosters are excellent devices, and I hope the Model S's don't betray my trust.

AudobonB
Do the wiper blade defrosters take a special type of wiper blade? Is it relatively easy and inexpensive to replace the blades? Just curious to how they work since you replace the the blade and bar when it comes time to replace the blades.

First, as any other Alaskan would have done, I chuckled at the naming of this option. If Truth In Advertising held, I would suggest "Mild Weather Package" a more appopriate handle. But what's a giggle in Alaska could be Just Right in Ohio.

Second, regardless of that, I did include it when I confirmed my order the other day. That was, nevertheless. with the full knowledge that it will NOT make a Model S the go-to rig for driving in our winters!

Third, and most important, my over-the-phone marketer, Annie, told me that Tesla has determined those rear seat heaters are, in fact, the most efficient way the Model S has of bringing the cabin up to temp - significantly better than the air-circulated heater. Hmm. Intriguing.

Fourth, in my experience, wiper blade defrosters are excellent devices, and I hope the Model S's don't betray my trust.

AudobonB
Do the wiper blade defrosters take a special type of wiper blade? Is it relatively easy and inexpensive to replace the blades? Just curious to how they work since you replace the the blade and bar when it comes time to replace the blades.

Here is what that device looks like on a Subaru

subaru defroaster.jpg

Solution

I am in the process of finalizing my order and debating about the subzero package. I know it is a new feature and no one has any experience with it on the model S but was hoping if anyone has had similar features on another car? Was it worth it? How useful are the wiper blade defrosters? The rear seat heaters are a nice touch but don't feel it is really necessary since you can turn on the heat remotely to get the car warmed up.
!

Solution
1) Park in a garage
2) Preheat car with shore power
3) Buy dedicated winter tires, preferably mounted on their own rims.

I agree with your recommendations. Unfortunately I park outside at work and drive 65 highway miles one way for work. The main reason I like the idea of wiper defrosters was so ice will stay off the wipers when it is snowing and driving at highway speeds. Will the wiper defrosters work during highway speeds? Given the picture Llyod put up it appears that the defroster is attached to the windshield rather than to the wipers themselves. Makes me think that the defrosters will not work well or at all at highway speeds.

Solution
1) Park in a garage

If you plan to take LONG trips in winter, then get it. My kids were cuddled under a quilt in the backseat on a 200-mile trip this winter, while my wife and I were warm in the heated front seats. Heated rear seats would have been well worth it, and I am hoping against hope that these will be retrofit-able.

Solution
1) Park in a garage

I agree completely. Here are a few other observations from using an S in the Colorado winter; I took delivery last September.

1. Heated seats do allow you to keep cabin temperature low and stay comfortable.
  2. The biggest user of battery energy is warming up a cold soaked battery. I have seen as much as 20 rated miles in very cold weather (less than 0˚F, -18˚C).
  3. In very cold weather, the car still uses excess energy to keep the battery warm on long drives; kess than 10%, but noticeable.
  4. WIth good snow tires, the S is a great winter driving car.

Don't know if the weather package will help keep the battery warm or help with loss of range. There is no mention of any such feature on Tesla's website. I have heard of such a feature on on the European model not sure if it available for us.

I agree completely. Here are a few other observations from using an S in the Colorado winter; I took delivery last September.

1. Heated seats do allow you to keep cabin temperature low and stay comfortable.
  2. The biggest user of battery energy is warming up a cold soaked battery. I have seen as much as 20 rated miles in very cold weather (less than 0˚F, -18˚C).
  3. In very cold weather, the car still uses excess energy to keep the battery warm on long drives; kess than 10%, but noticeable.
  4. WIth good snow tires, the S is a great winter driving car.

Here is what that device looks like on a Subaru

I had a couple of Dodge Caravans back in the '90s that had something similar (defroster grid on the glass).

If Tesla's implementation actually heats the wiper arm, I'd be interested in a retrofit. The Tesla wipers are tucked under the cowl and can't be lifted when parked, and can't really even be lifted to clear snow/ice because of the way they park.

Parking in a garage at home is fine, but I have to park outside at work all day, and that is where I'm going to have problems.

İ had a Dodge Caravan with heated windshield under the wipers and heated side mirrors and really liked them even though I only used them a few times per winter. The times they are great is when driving in sleet (an olde New England favorite) because it helps get rid of the freezing layer of slush at the bottom of the wiper stroke at the base of the windshield. Defrosters normally hit the inside of the windshield above that point so it builds up.

I've always parked in a garage, so can't comment on their utility for those issues, but it's really much better not to have to stop at the side of the road in a sleet storm to clear the frozen slush off the windshield.

Much below freezing there really is no need to use the wipers, *but* the wipers must be able to function lest they get turned ON somehow and either blow a fuse or just keep straining/overheating the wiper motor. Thus my solution to put 2 bread bags over the wiper blades when a storm is coming. The blades never stick to windshield and cleanup is much easier with the bags on.

Hint #2: Spray silicone along door window seals and glass area just above. This to keep window from freezing shut. Frozen window does not drop down the one inch necessary for door to close. Renew each month to keep seals siliconey and glass coated with the film. Invisible but it really works.

Hint #3: Call as many Tesla Service as possible to locate extra set of rims for your snow tires. Factory has been known to put wrong rims on cars. With 2 sets of wheels you now have that spare tire you always wanted to carry with you.
--

--

Much below freezing there really is no need to use the wipers, *but* the wipers must be able to function lest they get turned ON somehow and either blow a fuse or just keep straining/overheating the wiper motor. Thus my solution to put 2 bread bags over the wiper blades when a storm is coming. The blades never stick to windshield and cleanup is much easier with the bags on

While you can't do it on the Model S, I used to just stand the wipers up whenever the car was parked and there was a risk of them freezing to the glass. The plastic bags area good idea, as long as they don't freeze to the glass and tear when you try to remove them.

As far as not needing them in sub-freezing temperatures, I can say to you that is certainly not my experience. That's probably when I use mine the most. They put so much salt and ice melter on the roads here that I used to think I used more washer fluid than gasoline to get to work. I *constantly* have to use the wipers and washers in the winter to remove the salt spray from the glass, and if you combine that with a little falling snow, it gets even worse. That's when the heated wiper (or lower windshield edge) turns out to be a huge help as RDoc suggests above.

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that the rear seat heaters don't have controls that are accessible to the rear seat passengers? I'm assuming you have to ask someone in the front to turn them on and off. I know Tesla is against buttons for some reason, but that seems downright annoying!

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see all the replies to my "lack of buttons" thread before I posted this one. I know how this will get answered :) I can't seem to edit or delete a previous post so please just ignore this question. Thanks!

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that the rear seat heaters don't have controls that are accessible to the rear seat passengers? I'm assuming you have to ask someone in the front to turn them on and off. I know Tesla is against buttons for some reason, but that seems downright annoying!

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see all the replies to my "lack of buttons" thread before I posted this one. I know how this will get answered :) I can't seem to edit or delete a previous post so please just ignore this question. Thanks!

Agree, there needs to be some control

Get it. I'm going to try to get it retrofitted. Wiper blade defrosters and particularly washer nozzle heaters are *extremely* valuable.