Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Success Stories for Preemptive eMMC Warranty Replacement with Center Display Repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it was a parting gift from 2020, or taste of what's to come from 2021, but overnight bubbles appeared on our center display (and are spreading by the hour). The adhesive has been intermittently leaking since September so its not completely unexpected.

We were having 2-3x weekly slow-boots of the MCU up until late-October, when I did nav history and trip odometer wipes. After the eMMC warranty extension email came out, I've been waiting for one to happen so I have a timestamp to give to Tesla to look at logs...we haven't had one. Despite the recent multiple updates, we have not gotten the "Schedule service for degraded eMMC" message.

Q1: Has anyone gotten a service center to agree to an eMMC swapout under the warranty, without having received the "schedule service" message, while the car was in for other repairs?

Q2: Assuming the SC answer is, "we checked your vehicle's logs, eMMC is ok, so no replacement," has anyone saved on the labor hours by having a center screen replacement concurrent with paid eMMC replacement (since it's my understanding the screen has to come out for daughterboard replacement)?

MCU2: For anyone suggesting "just pay for the MCU2 upgrade instead of paying for a center display and eMMC replacement", we did a paid replacement of the instrument cluster earlier this year for the same bubbles/adhesive leak. As I understand it, MCU1 IC gets taken out and a new MCU2 IC goes in, so despite knowing I should ignore sunk cost fallacy...that's a big sunk cost to try and ignore for only a couple pandemic months of use.

Thanks all.

As I recall from someone here that paid for replacement screen like you need, the cost with labor was about $960. Something to think about.

We learned recently that the SC tech as looking for specific error messages to determine if replacement is warranted. The error messages that explain were/are in a Tesla Service Bulletin and documented here on the NHTSA web site, if you desire to do your own detective work.

You are clearly set against the expense of MCU2, so I won't bother you with encouraging remarks, - but I would be remiss to anyone else for failing to say ITS WORTH IT AND MORE.

Reactions: aerodyne
...The error messages that explain were/are in a Tesla Service Bulletin and documented here on the NHTSA web site, if you desire to do your own detective work...

I am assuming the flags described in the TSB are not set, since I haven't seen the pop-up in the vehicle. SSedan's post helps confirm my assumption that the answer to the thread's title is "no".

As I recall from someone here that paid for replacement screen like you need, the cost with labor was about $960. Something to think about...

Since making the first post, the screen leak has accelerated to "adhesive dripping and pooling on the (evannex) center console daily", so the default option of "do nothing and wait for eMMC to fail before replacing the display" is likely off the table. As such, I see the current options as...

a) pay $1000 for screen and hope eMMC failure is within warranty / not at an inconvenient time
b) pay $1250(?) for screen and non-warranty eMMC swap and be back at day 1 status (new IC, new center, new eMMC)
c) pay $2500 for upgrade, with optional
c1) pay the MCU1 IC core charge and resell to partially offset the previous repair (if the core charge is less than resale value)

...You are clearly set against the expense of MCU2, so I won't bother you with encouraging remarks, - but I would be remiss to anyone else for failing to say ITS WORTH IT AND MORE.

The MCU2 upgrade is back in the mix. Can you supply the encouraging remarks (or link to a post where you've already explained)? For my family, the expectation is the car is an "own until scrapped local travel" vehicle, given trash Supercharger rates negate road trips and a value-killing airbag-deployment accident on record...so any benefits related to road trips / nav / boosting trade-in value likely don't apply for us.

The MCU2 upgrade is back in the mix. Can you supply the encouraging remarks (or link to a post where you've already explained)? For my family, the expectation is the car is an "own until scrapped local travel" vehicle, given trash Supercharger rates negate road trips and a value-killing airbag-deployment accident on record...so any benefits related to road trips / nav / boosting trade-in value likely don't apply for us.

You bet-em,

I was one of the first in the country to get MCU2. It was an accident, but I did get it.
Here's two post that I explained in much detail. One on TMC and one on TM.
Notice this was 1 April-ish when I picked up my car.
Tesla Confirms Infotainment Upgrade is another excellent thread here.

To me the most amazing and unexpected benefit, is my car how is better 4 years old than it was when it was delivered in Mar 2017.
I was planning on buying a 2021 last fall. But when I got my MCU2 upgrade done in March 2020, heck why buy when for $2500 my three year old car became nearly brand new. Having not been in a MCU2 S/X before, I didn't know how much better it would be. But its simply amazing the difference. I've read at least 200+ post by people here that have also upgraded. I've not seen a single regret to the upgrade.
Many upgraded and complained they miss their FM/XM radio. But now, its available for a fee. I didn't miss it, and won't spend the extra to get it, although myself and a friend went to a great deal of effort to try and restore it to stop the complaining by others.

I posted this last month, after thinking about another way of saying the same thing.
Post # 6841

I've posted many times on MCU1/eMMC issues, and on the MCU2 replacement/upgrade.
One of those, I did my comparison to see if it was worth the cost.
Here's the content of that post, from one of the many threads here.

What’s the value of the MCU2 Upgrade - to me. All these questions and discussion if it’s worth it. Therefore, I thought I could put a value on each part. The value you place on it maybe be different. I think I got a bargain at $2500

Cost to replace/repair MCU failed-----------$1,500

(2 each Blackvue DR900-2CH= $400)
Tesla Dash Cam---------------------------------$ 800
Sentry Mode
Upgrade on WiFi to include 5 GHz-------------$ 100
Functioning Browser---------------------------- $ 100
Quicker Response to Maps----------------------$ 200
Sound is better Like an aftermarket radio)---$ 400
BT now displays media album art-------------- $ 50
Driving Visualizations----------------------------$ 100
Tesla Theater (Equal to Tablet/iPad)---------- $ 500
Netflix
Hulu
Youtube
Tesla Arcade
--------------------------------------------Total---$3,750

If I had to pay for a MCU1 replacement, the cost would be $1,500 at least.

I have two 2-channel Blackvue dash cams in my car. 360 degree view.
Tesla Dash Cam & Sentry gives me the same 360 degree view both driving and parked. The two DR 988-2CH's cost about $400 each.

Tesla Theater and Arcade is like the added an iPad with cell service to the screen.
These items I just put down a $$ number of what I would pay to get if I had seen them and wanted to keep them.
Wifi upgrade, working browser, fast map response and Bluetooth media album art, driving visualizations, and better sound without a radio is like an aftermarket radio upgrade. Did I miss anything?

Don't you miss this though. I don't get anything for encouraging you to upgrade. There's no referral or benefit to me for helping you. Just the facts. If anything, I spend a lot of energy just to talk people into helping themselves.

Reactions: Saxgod
I have a 2015 85D with MCU1. I was starting to have the same issues as you - reboots on MCU, reboots on IC, etc. Tesla SC did the same "give us the date / time of restart" and "we cleared the EMMC - you should be good now". I did actually take the time to document several of my reboots and share that data with them.

At one point in the back and forth I sent a text saying "Look - you and I both know whats happening here. Lets just replace this chip and get it done with". The next message was that they had ordered the chip and would let me know when it arrives.

I've now had the EMMC replaced. It has solved all the reboot issues. However, be advised that it changes nothing else - nothing will speed up, or work any better. It's just more stable.

I'm OK with MCU 1 - my use case doesn't really add much value for Netflix and Youtube and games, and I'm OK with the current performance. But I totally get that some people assign a high value to these things.

• Informative
This is a good place to comment and praise MCU2, so here goes. @TessP100D, Glad to hear yours is getting replaced. And I hope its as good as it was when brand new. Particularly glad too that its not costing you $$$ to get it done. However, if the new MCU1/eMMC 64 does not live up to your expectation, you might want to consider the upgrade to MCU2. I can promise you that your car will actually be BETTER than when it was brand new with MCU2. It will be superior to when it was brand new. It will literally seem like a new car - 'cept for any rattles you currently have.

Let us know how you like it after the repair.

Best to you

This is a good place to comment and praise MCU2, so here goes. @TessP100D, Glad to hear yours is getting replaced. And I hope its as good as it was when brand new. Particularly glad too that its not costing you $$$ to get it done. However, if the new MCU1/eMMC 64 does not live up to your expectation, you might want to consider the upgrade to MCU2. I can promise you that your car will actually be BETTER than when it was brand new with MCU2. It will be superior to when it was brand new. It will literally seem like a new car - 'cept for any rattles you currently have.

Let us know how you like it after the repair.

Best to you
Thank you and I understand. Some features took a while to come back and Ali haven’t gone through everything yet, but I’m hopeful. She has no other real issues and I want to keep her until the CT actually comes out around 2023.

Now if I could only get Tesla to get the heated seats feature to turn off automatically I would be smiling more.

Friends. My eMMC was replaced 2 days ago by Tesla under the recall notice. I look forward to having my car back, they way she was brand new.
What was the timeline like? I'm wondering the method Tesla used to reach out to say "please schedule an eMMC NHTSA/warranty appointment", if you scheduled via the app like any other service, if they did it via phone or email, how far out the booking was, etc.

What was the timeline like? I'm wondering the method Tesla used to reach out to say "please schedule an eMMC NHTSA/warranty appointment", if you scheduled via the app like any other service, if they did it via phone or email, how far out the booking was, etc.
I called the service manager on the phone several times. I believe he set this up. He helped me. The. I received an email from Tesla that the part was ordered. It took about 4-5 weeks As I remember. Then I got a call the part was in and went in the next day. I was given a Tesla loaner and the next day all the work was done. Not so bad really.

So I have a question for @Akikiki and others with a more "vintage" model.

Boring Background: I'm getting a bit sad the proverbial Shark is close, or Tesla has jumped it. I was going to upgrade my P85DL to a Plaid+, mostly for battery size. While there is certainly value, more for some than others, in such things as FSD, refreshed looks, -1s 0-60, etc, none of it is worth ~$100k (new car minus residual value) TO ME. Now, that's off the table... not paying $100K for a new battery. Add to it The Yoke and no stalks, a CT is starting to look good. Oops, lets take door handles out of that, then add 4WD steering... what could possibly go wrong? Nothing like Seatgate, BatteryGate, FalconDoorGate, etc...

Now my focus is on keeping mine running until things sort out feature wise in their design labs.. which may take 2 years?! MCU2 may indeed be worth it, to squeeze out some additional time. I don't care about AM/FM; I can just add the "premium connectivity" into the cost benefit analysis.

So here's the question: You've done that math and figured it is worth it; cool. What is your thought on doing the same thing with the battery, to keep the car from turning into a Nissan Leaf or something that has no practical value in long distance travel (which I do)?

With a cool battery and ~10% charge I *STILL* can't get more than 70KW charge rate at a supercharger, so all these shiny new 250KW+ ones are kind of pointless... Down from a peak of ~260m estimated range at 100% SOC to about 220 (daily/90% SOC is ~205 for me, and dropping what feels like daily).

If I want to keep the car I may need want $20K (?) for a new (?) battery and the ~$2K for MCU2. I'd at least keep unlimited supercharging that way. I don't expect anything else would break that a comparable ICE wouldn't, right (e.g. a super-expensive BEV-specific cost)?

So I have a question for @Akikiki and others with a more "vintage" model.

Boring Background: I'm getting a bit sad the proverbial Shark is close, or Tesla has jumped it. I was going to upgrade my P85DL to a Plaid+, mostly for battery size. While there is certainly value, more for some than others, in such things as FSD, refreshed looks, -1s 0-60, etc, none of it is worth ~$100k (new car minus residual value) TO ME. Now, that's off the table... not paying $100K for a new battery. Add to it The Yoke and no stalks, a CT is starting to look good. Oops, lets take door handles out of that, then add 4WD steering... what could possibly go wrong? Nothing like Seatgate, BatteryGate, FalconDoorGate, etc...

Now my focus is on keeping mine running until things sort out feature wise in their design labs.. which may take 2 years?! MCU2 may indeed be worth it, to squeeze out some additional time. I don't care about AM/FM; I can just add the "premium connectivity" into the cost benefit analysis.

So here's the question: You've done that math and figured it is worth it; cool. What is your thought on doing the same thing with the battery, to keep the car from turning into a Nissan Leaf or something that has no practical value in long distance travel (which I do)?

With a cool battery and ~10% charge I *STILL* can't get more than 70KW charge rate at a supercharger, so all these shiny new 250KW+ ones are kind of pointless... Down from a peak of ~260m estimated range at 100% SOC to about 220 (daily/90% SOC is ~205 for me, and dropping what feels like daily).

If I want to keep the car I may need want $20K (?) for a new (?) battery and the ~$2K for MCU2. I'd at least keep unlimited supercharging that way. I don't expect anything else would break that a comparable ICE wouldn't, right (e.g. a super-expensive BEV-specific cost)?
Okay, completely ruling out new car. I understand that. Plan B becomes best option. If I were you, I would not spend $20k+ on new battery and $2K on MCU2. But I would move up to newER S or X. I would look for one in what I like to think is the sweet-spot year late 2016 to very early 2017. Yes it still has MCU1. So set aside $2K to do the MCU2 upgrade, skip the FM radio like I did.

I think there are two configured cars in this sweet-spot. About Feb-Mar 2017 they moved from 90D to 100D on the battery. I would call this a 10 on a 1-10 scale and the late 2016 to Jan 2017 a 9 on that scale. And the next best car, if you ask me, is a 2019 S/X Raven. Better suspension, little better battery we are told, but doesn't get FUSC and free connectivity so those two things cancel out the suspension and battery. I give this a 8 on my scale. Even if 2019 is probably still under warranty and 2016/17 are not.

That sweet-spot year puts you within reach of MCU2 and get away from MCU1. And buy only from private buyer. You can ask and will likely get a peek at their FUSC and free continued premium connectivity from inside their account. This puts you within reach of FSD if you choose to get it. You might luck by waiting a while and looking closely and find someone that already has paid for FSD and got it for $5K when new or still has the special deal offered under app upgrades for FSD at <$5K. Ask for picture proof of inside their app's upgrade choices.

A private to private transfer will almost assure you of retaining the FUSC and connectivity. I would guess the price would be in the $50ish-K prices and you could sell yours for $22-25K. So your upgrade would be ~$25K. With used car prices at an all time high, this unique situation for that sweet-spot year car is going to disappear soon. As you know mid-2018> don't get FUSC. And cars bought after 1 Jul 2018 don't get free premium connectivity, making this sweet-spot a unicorn.

I encourage you to spend some time studying what shows up in Used Teslas for Sale here on TMC and talk to the owner. Have yours ready to post on TMC with a contingency that the unicorn you found is still available and you sell yours as a first used first Tesla to someone that can't reach a new 3/Y. There millions of people out there still looking for their first EV and they want a good one, not a used non-Tesla.
I'd look here on TMC for one. You could ask about it. But with brand new S/X in limited production, this unicorn is going to be rare for at least

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Akikiki, I'm really not sure if he would be able to keep someone's free superchargeing or FSD features. I've read to many reports about Tesla taking these features away from new owners.
This is a much more complex topic than your post would insinuate. Do some research and you'll see that it's still entirely possible to buy cars that have transferable FUSC. The summary is that you have to buy 2016 or older cars that have it from a private party that have never been in the hands of Tesla or a third-party dealership.

@tldickerson, I agree with @Ostrichsak because he's right on the money. We don't have the resources to dig backward into the history of everyone that complains. But there have been a few that when we have enough info we can explain why some lost FUSC or FSD. I guess we all can remember from different times when Tesla was trying to encourage the purchase of FSD during or right after a new purchase, they enabled "trial FSD" they called it. But too often there was no follow up Tesla didn't turn it off. Those people kept quiet and had it for a long time. I think when they traded it or sold it and the new owner went to transfer owner ship at Tesla, it came to light FSD was never purchased, just a trail. So without explanation or warning, Tesla disabled it. And the yelling started. Some of those have been explained this way when the back tracked to a Monroney sticker.

This does not even account for the probability that a few paid for FSDs might have been removed permanently or temporarily accidentally. That's for the owner to sort out. Sometimes owners have come here to complain about losing FSD before they contacted Tesla. They've not given Tesla a chance to make it right before they complain. Sometimes its righteous. A few times they came back and reported it was restored. But we didn't always hear back from others. And its not easy to get someone at Tesla to work the problem to resolve it, right? Point is that we don't have all sides of the story and the history on the sale. We know that complaining here does not always lead to Tesla fixing something. But sometimes puts people together with info to move a problem through a process. That's good. I'm not saying they should not complain. Sometimes it helps.

This scenario applies to FSD but not to FUSC. So, its possible that a trial FSD could be uncovered when updating ownership with private sales. But I don't think there's lot of reports of private sales losing FUSC.

No, there's no guarantee with what I suggested to @Dbitter1, but I think he's has a much better chance private sale than any other.

This is detailed here.

SC00: No Supercharging

SC01: Unlimited Free Supercharging (no restriction)

SC04: Paid Supercharging

SC05: Unlimited Free Supercharging (but not transferable between owners)

SC06: Unlimited Free Supercharging (time-based)

The top tier of Unlimited Free Supercharging is a Tesla with code SC01, which has no restrictions, followed by SC05, which lasts for the current owner only.

• Informative