Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Success Stories for Preemptive eMMC Warranty Replacement with Center Display Repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I started the thread, I should update it...

Got an updated recall letter in the mail earlier this summer (early June?) with the "parts not available, we will notify you later" line from the first official letter in March removed.
Got the first software update in forever on 20Jul.
Got the "center screen capability degraded, please schedule service" message on 22Jul.
Scheduled service for eMMC for 07Aug with notes on receiving the message.
Arrived for service, advisor's first question was "when did you get the error, if we cannot find it in the logs, we cannot perform the service."

TL;DR - Waited until I had received both a) the updated recall letter saying parts were available, and b) the degraded capability message in the car before scheduling the eMMC recall, but apparently service centers are still requiring verification via vehicle logs before they will perform the work.

Since I started the thread, I should update it...

Got an updated recall letter in the mail earlier this summer (early June?) with the "parts not available, we will notify you later" line from the first official letter in March removed.
Got the first software update in forever on 20Jul.
Got the "center screen capability degraded, please schedule service" message on 22Jul.
Scheduled service for eMMC for 07Aug with notes on receiving the message.
Arrived for service, advisor's first question was "when did you get the error, if we cannot find it in the logs, we cannot perform the service."

TL;DR - Waited until I had received both a) the updated recall letter saying parts were available, and b) the degraded capability message in the car before scheduling the eMMC recall, but apparently service centers are still requiring verification via vehicle logs before they will perform the work.
What a load of bovine excrement.

Tesla "customer service" support is the worst.

Reactions: BigNick
I have an appt and written confirmation to replace the daughter board tommorow. Wish me luck!

Only took a year and a half, countless posts, and several drive buys to the SvC. I
have had numerous black screens, but no warning message.

Apart from the useful advice here, and on the other now defunct Board, for me to get this far, two things were key:

1)New SvC opened. Ordered a new '22 MS. Made sure Service knew it.

2)Told a ranger about my situation. He told me to use "The magic word, but don't tell anyone". It turns out said word correllated well with an experience I had. Even though I had to embellish the story and repeat the word quite a bit before they relented.

Last night, I installed the first update successfully in a year. I was the last one in the universe on 2020.48.12 per Teslafi. I guess I will live with the small fonts.

Now, and I'm sure @Akikiki will find this funny, I am wondering why did I put up with all this? The new car will have MCU2 and no AM, so....

The saga continues...

They refuse to replace the dash under warranty, that was damaged by a prior visit. This despite a written message in the App saying they would.

They say the car is done, but won't accept firmware update. They say they need to do it after hours.

I have no problem updating the lastest one day prior after 9:00PM!

How much do you want to bet there is going to be some problem with the MCU 1, and they are going to force me to MCU2?

Reactions: TessP100D
The saga continues...

They refuse to replace the dash under warranty, that was damaged by a prior visit. This despite a written message in the App saying they would.

They say the car is done, but won't accept firmware update. They say they need to do it after hours.

I have no problem updating the lastest one day prior after 9:00PM!

How much do you want to bet there is going to be some problem with the MCU 1, and they are going to force me to MCU2?
I've had a similar experience dash-wise - not sure how extensive your damage is, but since mine has only consisted of chips/scratches/dents, Service just said "yeah, just a hazard of needing something done, tough."

What's the firmware in question?

I've had a similar experience dash-wise - not sure how extensive your damage is, but since mine has only consisted of chips/scratches/dents, Service just said "yeah, just a hazard of needing something done, tough."

What's the firmware in question?

The dash cover was buckled near the front and the aluminum trim cracked and deformed at the cutouts for the center screen. They obviously did not use air wedges and care in removal.

The old firmware was 2020.48.12.

New is 48.37.8.

No problems so far, no bubbles, web browser a little better. Streaming and voice commands might be better but too early to tell.