Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Success Story and First Impressions – Tesla Mount Kisco, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jim Holder

Keep calm and trade on
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2017
Mars
Hi All,

After following the play-by-play action here for almost 2 months since ordering my 2017 Model S60D (AP2) I was on pins and needles as to how my delivery will go, what condition the car will be in ( after reading about the QC sleeping in Fremont, and after it traveling by train from the West Coast up here), and what will be my first impressions with driving the car, AS, TACC and all.

Happy to say it was all a straight 10 out of 10 and A++ for all of the above. And the car was in pristine condition and shape inside and out, fit and finish included. (Whew...)

1) First, appreciation: DS reps Emanual and John at the Mount Kisco Tesla are the kind of employees that give Tesla a good name, something it sorely needs and deserves. Both were gracious, patient, and very thorough. Every step of the delivery went better than I ever expected.

Yevgeniy ("Yev") at Tesla Paramus NJ was phenomenal in helping me set up my order back in January and helping me with all my questions along the way, everytime going out of his way to making sure everything went smoothly.

All phenomenally great guys!!

2) Driving home was a blast and I got to stop off at Tarrytown Sheraton where there were at least 10 open supercharge stalls. I topped off to full for 30 minutes just to familiarize myself with the process.

3) TACC and AS didn't appear for me until about after 20-30 minutes of driving (car had 14 miles when I drove it off the lot) and suddenly the dashboard lit up with lanes and cars about halfway home.

4) TACC worked wonderfully the entire time from when it became available (I guess I got lucky calibration went fast) and I found it difficult to understand all the complaints being posted here especially the past few weeks. Perhaps it's my coming from a late-model Honda Accord Touring which had upper-level traffic aware cruise control, so my expectations were appropriately moderate. What I really enjoyed today was the Tesla's ability to come to a complete stop when traffic stops and starts up again by itself. Worked splendidly! The Honda would turn off anytime I went below 40 mph or so, so this was a sweet experience.

5) AS was available on all my local roads (surprisingly) and with my hands on the steering wheel and foot over the break (like a nanny) it performed moderately well. If I had to nitpick I'd point out that it hugs the right curb a bit too aggressively, and when there are parked cars on the right side of the road, if I hadn't corrected it, it would've taken off their mirrors....

6) Also, re TACC I noticed unwanted behavior at a stop sign. Normally we are all supposed to take turns and stop at the sign ourselves and not speed off after the guy in front of us peels off. However, TACC tried to do just that and I had to disengage and break so as not to follow him into the intersection without myself stopping and looking both ways first. (Is the expectation that if/when more cameras become active TACC would know the difference between a stop sign and a red light and act appropriately?)

7) I noticed when a car in front of me makes a right into a road, AS tries to follow him into the turn even though I have no intention of turning there.

8) Rest of the stuff was flawless, Homelink, Wi-Fi, driver profiles (and figuring out how to attach reverse mirror positions to the same profile) all set up like a breeze.

9) I'm sure over the next few days I'll discover more, for instance, I already noticed the need for a persistent off button for the audio so that it doesn't start playing every time I come to the car...

10) Also would be nice if the passenger can mute the volume by tapping the speaker icon on the screen. Right now only the driver could do this by pressing the left scroll wheel.

11) I was surprised that there were no seat pockets in front of the rear passengers. Something so simple and used so often yet not there. Hmmm... any good reason other than cost savings? (I also miss side pockets in the doors).

12) BTW I got over the missing coat hooks by buying one of the aftermarket solutions and it took all of two seconds to pop them in.

Anyhow, for those sitting on the fence, perhaps my positive experience can be a comfort and restore some confidence to balance against all the other negative experiences.

Happy driving!

:D:D:D

Update re #9, I found that pressing the mute button (press the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel) before leaving the car seems to keep it quiet when I return....kind of like an off button.

I'll see if this function persists over the next few days.

10) Also would be nice if the passenger can mute the volume by tapping the speaker icon on the screen. Right now only the driver could do this by pressing the left scroll wheel.

Yes, +1 vote for this feature! It is so incongruous that tapping the icon doesn't toggle mute. My wife get frustrated all the time with this. Yet another feature we've been requesting for years (4+ for me). Maybe its in the long awaited 8.1 update.