Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Success with Unplugged Performance Coilover Suspension Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mparsons

2021 M3P Unplugged Performance
Dec 12, 2020
Lakeside CA
I bought my 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance with the intension of racing the CST, XA and ASP classes in Autocross. When you watch the leaders of these classes, regardless of the car, you'll notice the front end doesn't lift or squat from acceleration or braking. You'll also notice the cars don't lean side to side when turning. As much as I loved the the Model 3 Performance 0-60 from a dig, I felt the car needed help with the suspension to have a chance in these competitive classes. So I began my project. I tried slews of components from various brands but the goal I was after proved to be more elusive than I imagined.
After three races and countless amounts of time & energy, I was approached by Unplugged Performance who confidently stated they could achieve my goals for the car. The decision to remove all the suspension I had spent so much time and money on wasn't an easy one, after all, suspension isn't cheap and mine was already paid for, not to mention the time & tires it took to get to where I was. But where I was wouldn't get the car to the podium so I took Unplugged Performance at their word and swapped out all of my after market suspension for Unplugged Performance (UP) coilover kit, UP front upper control arms, UP camber arms, UP toe arms, UP front sway bar, UP rear sway bar.
As I pulled out of my driveway for the first test drive I could tell the Unplugged kit was far different from what I had been working with. I matted the pedal and this time the gut wrenching acceleration didn't lift the front end. Instead, the car shot just forward. Still giggling and still on the pedal, I went into the first right turn, UP didn't disappoint. The car turned effortlessly with no lean. The next turn would be a solid test. With all the speed I was carrying, I hammered the brakes, dove into the sharp left turn, then broke hard for the stop sign. In my short drive down the street I knew UP was absolutely a superior product from what I had been trying. As promised UP solved my nose diving, side to side lean and settled MUCH faster than I had hoped.
I can not wait to dial the car in on the 10th and see how it does in the Cal Club Autocross. The plan is to catch both the Crows Landing Pro Solo & the Fontana Pro Solo in April.
A big Thank you to everybody at Unplugged Performance, particularly Ben & Eddy for the guidance and support. More to follow!

What prior aftermarket components did you put in your car? Did you have a different set of aftermarket coilovers?

Cheers,

/TCP
I tried a few components and they all have their pro's / cons for my application. I think I'm on the right track this time around, I'll know more after the 11th. Since I enjoy my recreation time with the friends I've made at the different companies and the fact that sooner or later, I'll need help or components from these companies, I won't post the non complementary stuff.

Reactions: mdsco and tcpilot
so after switching this on your car, what were the costs associated with the Unplug conversion?

What negatives do you drive the car now with? Harsh rebound on bumpy roads?

My son put the moderate springs on his SR+. This really improved the cornering and the ride height wheel gap.
For Me its too harsh a ride in general, but for him its great

I am going to move into a performance, and would love to have a more balanced ride and the ability to corner-like I use to in my RX7 with Eibach springs
But want comfort when cruising down the road

Is there a perfect balance of aftermarket and stock? Don't know what you used before unplugged

I also suggest when you post about other products you let the readers know what you tried

Positive and negative critics are needed on products

Companies need to know the good and the bad

Did you not use the right combo, and make it worse?

Unplug to the rescue, using all their products in correct combo?

Give the others a shot to comment on your setup, regarding your previous set up and current

Give us the information to decide which direction to go in the future

Thanks for the post

Hope to hear more on your set up and what products you tried and switched out

so after switching this on your car, what were the costs associated with the Unplug conversion?

What negatives do you drive the car now with? Harsh rebound on bumpy roads?

My son put the moderate springs on his SR+. This really improved the cornering and the ride height wheel gap.
For Me its too harsh a ride in general, but for him its great

I am going to move into a performance, and would love to have a more balanced ride and the ability to corner-like I use to in my RX7 with Eibach springs
But want comfort when cruising down the road

Is there a perfect balance of aftermarket and stock? Don't know what you used before unplugged

I also suggest when you post about other products you let the readers know what you tried

Positive and negative critics are needed on products

Companies need to know the good and the bad

Did you not use the right combo, and make it worse?

Unplug to the rescue, using all their products in correct combo?

Give the others a shot to comment on your setup, regarding your previous set up and current

Give us the information to decide which direction to go in the future

Thanks for the post

Hope to hear more on your set up and what products you tried and switched out
Jim,
1. The prices of the Unplugged parts are posted on the website. I ended up with FUCA's, both swaybars, camber arms, toe arms, performance coilovers, spring arms, race spec wheels, brake pads. I will tell you that the FUCA's and the rear spring arms are in my opinion, unparalleled... coilovers as well if Autocross is your goal.
2. When the rebound is turned to the stiffest setting the ride is harsher than stock for sure. When the setting is set to the softest, the ride is considerably softer. I prefer the middle settings for everyday and I'll know more about Autocross settings after the 10th when I go to Fontana.
3. If you want comfort and stability, you might consider asking about UP's top of the line coilover's. I'm told they can achieve both.
4. For me, the issue was being stiff enough to win in CST, XA, ASP classes. Street handling was second. Comfort was third. Your comfort goal might take you in a different direction than me, possibly towards the top of the line coilovers.
Good luck with your

Sorry to hijack, I am a suspension noob, I already have coilovers and F/R sways, what difference will I feel on the street upgrading the upper control arms, camber arms, and toe arms? The car already feels planted and no body roll on hard turns. I am just trying to figure out if its is worth the extra $$. I do plan to track the car eventually, just for fun, but I am mainly just looking for mostly street performance.

Reactions: mparsons
Sorry to hijack, I am a suspension noob, I already have coilovers and F/R sways, what difference will I feel on the street upgrading the upper control arms, camber arms, and toe arms? The car already feels planted and no body roll on hard turns. I am just trying to figure out if its is worth the extra $$. I do plan to track the car eventually, just for fun, but I am mainly just looking for mostly street performance.
I switched from the FUCA's I was running was to the UP FUCA's because I wasn't able to get the camber I needed at the height I needed for the Autocross setup I was after. The UP FUCA's gave that to me.
In the rear, I needed adjustable camber arms so I switched. The stock toe arms didn't give enough adjustment after adjusting the camber.
As for ride from those mods, I'm not sure you could feel the changes just driving down the street. I'm guessing an MPP lower control arm bushing would allow you to feel the road more.
So, the changes I made were to give me the ability to reach the camber I run for Autocross. I haven't tracked the car yet so I'm not sure what setup (Camber, toe, tire pressure) will work for that. You might ask "SK360" sounds like he has track experience. If I had to guess, I'd start around over two degrees camber rear, over three degrees camber front, maybe a -1mm toe to zero toe front and rear. Like I said, I haven't done track yet.

Reactions: Sukhshanti