Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful Avoidance of Water Infiltration During Front Windshield Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
It took me the better part of 3 years to collect the courage to tint my front windshield, due to the risk of damaging electronics under the dash from liquid used by the tinters. The problem in a nutshell is that the Model 3 dash has an opening were it abuts the windshield, and another for ventilation that spans the width of the dash.

I did a couple of things in preparation:
  1. I found a tinter who was willing to hear about the peculiarities of the Model 3; and most importantly, allow me to be present during the work.
  2. I bought a SoakShield SoakShield.jpg made of microfibre that I placed between the dash and the windshield. The SoakShield has to be inserted far enough to leave the glass that will be tinted unobstructed. I used a thin spatula without difficulty.
  3. I took a heavy duty garbage bad, rolled up one edge, and inserted on top of the soakshield. The plastic covered the rest of the dash.
The tinter did an outstanding job and judging by youtube videos, used less liquid than others.
I left the soakshield in place for a day after the tinting was finished. It came out just barely damp so I am confident that not a single drop of fluid dropped below the dash.

I probably was excessive in caution, but I am now convinced that with proper preparation and a tinter willing to work carefully, tinting can be done safely.
I bought two SoakShields but in the end used one. I'm happy to sell one or both to the next intrepid car owner.

Reactions: Adam3
No offense but most tinters used soak rope to tint the front windshield. It’s nothing new and even used to tint the rear windshield. The few stories of water getting in there and frying 3k in electronics is due to either really bad luck, incompetent tinter or when the car came out they probably thought there was a channel to catch all the water beneath the windshield.

No offense but most tinters used soak rope to tint the front windshield. It’s nothing new and even used to tint the rear windshield. The few stories of water getting in there and frying 3k in electronics is due to either really bad luck, incompetent tinter or when the car came out they probably thought there was a channel to catch all the water beneath the windshield.
If you go to forums for the tint industry, there are horror stories about frying the Model 3 computer and that obviously spread, making a lot of tinters not want to touch the car. Obviously it's possible to tint it by properly covering up the area, but some tinters don't want to risk it.

my windshield tint guys did it without anything to catch water, and then I found some imperfections. They agreed to redo the tint and re did it again with nothing to catch water again.
It's been a year and no issue at all.