TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Successful connection on the Model S internal Ethernet network

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by nlc, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Olen

Olen Member

I would use 802.11x, with authentication against Teslas internal systems.
    Easy to set up, and quite secure.
    Also easy to add new users temporarily if necessary.

2. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

#262 chickensevil, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    If that is the case, is there anyone out there who still had access to the "maintenance" console? (pressing and holding the T at the top of the screen for like 30 seconds). I know people had access but based on the request of Tesla people kept that access to themselves. I would just ask that they go in, and see if it is a new menu option. If so then that will solve that and keep people from wasting their time :)

Also, I feel like it is inevitable that Tesla and other car makers are going to have to continue to up their security on the cars. Given some of the terrible things you can do, even to basic cars like a prius if you have access to the CAN, this is certainly something that the entire industry needs to work on.

That being said, I do think, on some level Tesla needs to break down and give people some control and some level of access. Even if it is a walled garden to play in... Because otherwise people are not going to quit until they get what they want. Which in this case, is primarily driven by the desire to modify certain aspects of the car. Most hacks of this nature is totally non-malicious in nature, and in the result of the company not really giving people what they really want. It then opens the door to other nefarious purposes since now the hard work has been done. I point to the PS3 as the leading example of this in action.

3. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Keep in mind that a lot of the hardware on the Model S is based on FPGA/CPLD devices, as revealed in this very thread. So, changes can be made to hardware/software at a very low level. If this ethernet connection was controlled by something programmable like this (pretty likely) they could do virtually anything they want with this port, as well as "physically" disconnect it from the rest of the internal network.

4. Eggplant

Eggplant Member

If it is 802.11X authing to Fremont, how would the rangers deal with connecting to the car in an areas without cell service? There must be some sort of local auth going on.

5. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Agree. This is how I would do it too.

6. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Would be bad if they needed the center screen diagnostic menu to activate the port if they were trying to use the port to investigate an issue with the center screen. :p

I'll stick to their being some type of auth on the port itself. Could be as simple as a magic packet to some magic address or something silly... maybe someone should wire up to sniff traffic on this port and then go in for service. lol.

7. Olen

Olen Member

But are we sure that they are able to connect to the ethernet port without some kind of wireless or cell service?

Of course the switch could cache some auth info, but requiring some connection back to the mothership would be easier.

8. finout

finout Member

Talked to a tech a few days ago.

The port is turned off until the car is told (by Tesla, via 3G or wifi) to activate it. The "Tesla service application" (only available to Tesla service people on Tesla authorized laptops) must be running.

There is a round trip communication from the laptop over the internet to the Tesla servers that gives the car the command to activate the Ethernet port. At that same moment, the Tesla service app knows to try to connect.

Won't be very easy to foil this method.

9. chickensevil

Well that's unfortunate, but thanks for finding out about this for us.

10. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

11. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Hmm, and what about cars that are out of network coverage, or their touchscreen is malfunctioning? There must be another way in that does not rely on an external link.

12. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

Yes, or malfunctioning networking hardware???

13. idler

idler Member

Took a look at what's behind the dashboard yesterday. Good news are:
    - There is a ethernet and power/CAN port behind dashboard
    - The same pin out still works
    - LAN tapping device also works :biggrin:
    - IP addrs didn't change

Bad news:
    - Still need to figure out how to send traffic, may be a device to switch between dashboard and another port?

14. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

This is simple. All Model S's have built in Wi-Fi connections to Tesla's Wi-Fi. Simply making the service laptop be a hotspot with the right credentials will give access to anything they want...

15. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

Nice! So they simply blocked the 'easy way' of access.

How do you actually remove the center console? Since then you could attach a fixed cable to the back and still have your way into the systems.

16. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Not if the touchscreen is down (or networking hardware, as Johan pointed out).

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The other day my tech tried to upgrade firmware, but 3G sucked and it wouldn't work via WiFi.

18. Alexander

Alexander P# 8,878

This is awesome! Id love to tap into the rear camera for recording. Instead of installing an aftermarket rear dash cam, it would be awesome to just use the one that's already there.

19. chickensevil

And this is but one of many good reasons to let people have their way with the cars hardware... just saying.

I am glad to hear that all is not lost!

20. idler

idler Member

Nope, I didn't remove the center console, just the dashboard module
    I only attached tapping device (with Rx and Tx redirected to two tapping ports' Rx respectively). May be a pure hub would be useful here. Will try again next time :biggrin: