Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful connection on the Model S internal Ethernet network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend who is a Tesla technician and ranger in Norway has informed me you need an access code to send traffic after 5.11. It's as described here earlier, plus an "authenticator" with a rolling / random code. So probably no dice for us in the future :/

They did not get "pwned" by Tesla. For all you know, they may have reestablished a connection but are choosing not to post here because that would give Tesla the upper hand. And simply preventing access to a LAN bridge that requires internal access to the car in the first place is not what I considering fixing a security hole.

The stupid bash exploit is being blown way out of proportion.

Whatever lets you get arbitrary data to bash, *that* is the exploit.

If you can access bash generally you already have legit access unless you find an actual security hole *in something else*.

Corrected headline: Linux software that lets users do things lets users do things!

The stupid bash exploit is being blown way out of proportion.

Whatever lets you get arbitrary data to bash, *that* is the exploit.

If you can access bash generally you already have legit access unless you find an actual security hole *in something else*.

Corrected headline: Linux software that lets users do things lets users do things!

I disagree that it's being blown out of proportion. This issue is extremely serious. There are many places where data gets put into a bash shell as an environment variable that a programmer would have no reason to think that action would cause arbitrary code execution. I'm willing to bet this is somehow exploitable on the Model S, but would require access to the internal network connection and is therefore not a big problem for the Model S, however for the industry and Internet as a whole, it's a very serious problem.