TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Successful connection on the Model S internal Ethernet network

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by nlc, Mar 2, 2014.

1. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

sorry if this was already mentioned, I read this thread over two days.

regarding the NFS stuff.. try showmount -e <ip address> using the IP of the system that has the NFS port open.

(so long as you're on a linux / mac / whatever that has everything running that is needed to mount NFS file systems)

2. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Congratulations on getting this far.

If you find some evidence of what (third party) software they're running, I'd like to know. I'm expecting to see a copy of Busybox.

Frankly I think we might be able to figure out some of the vampire power drain problems if we understand what Tesla's using.

3. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

So I just connected to my Model S and I can see the same as nlc found. The connection is 100Mbit and I used the B schematic for my own cable.

NFS
    I ran a 'showmount -e' against 192.168.90.100 and there is one NFS mount: /opt/navigon

Mounting it was no problem. I chose 192.168.90.254 as my IP-address.

A simple "ls -al" in the NFS mount:

The VERSION file contained some information which might be interesting:

So Yzadik build this navigation ext3 filesystem for the EU about 1 year ago :)

It's probably a loopback device on the center screen, but I can't be sure.

SSH
    Afterwards I tried to SSH in, but all the combinations I could think of this time didn't work, so I gave up the SSH for now.

But I did do a quick telnet to get some version information:

So it seems to be Ubuntu which is running on there? Well, at least a modified version of Ubuntu.

192.168.90.100 and 192.168.90.101 are both running the same version of OpenSSH.

DNS
    On 192.168.90.100 there is also a DNS server running on port 53. It's a recursive nameserver which is open for me:

I also queried to find out which DNS server it's running:

So that seems to be dnsmasq 2.58

That's weird. Since Ubuntu 10.04 (previous LTS) has dnsmasq 2.52 and the current one, 12.04 has 2.59. So this has to be a homebrew version of Ubuntu OR a non-LTS version of Ubuntu.

HTTP
    So 192.168.90.100 is running a webserver which serves one file only: nowplaying.png:

We can assume that 192.168.90.101 (the dashboard) downloads this file to display the same image on the dashboard. I tried a couple of HTTP urls, but they all failed.

mini_httpd 1.19 seems pretty old though! 19 dec 2003? But the website says it's the latest version: mini_httpd

I still would have gone for something like nginx or lighttpd, but hey, it's up to them. It's also available as a package on Ubuntu: Ubuntu – Details of package mini-httpd in precise

X11 / XDMCP
    Using remmina in Ubuntu I was able to set up a X11 connection on port 6000, but it only showed me a blank screen, nothing else.

This was on both .100 and .101. Could be that I did something wrong.

IPv6
    I tried to connect to the internal IP's using IPv6, but all three hosts didn't respond on the link-local address I calculated based on their mac address.

Broadcast UDP traffic
    I also see all this UDP traffic. I ran tcpdump for about 2 minutes and I'll try to see what it actually contains.

4. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Great stuff.

5. gelden

gelden Well-Known Member

Thsi must be the guy who worked on the navigation system:
    Yair Zadik | LinkedIn
    3f9e262.jpg

6. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

How about an ls -alR of the NFS mount? I assume that the EU subdirectory has the navigation data for the EU. I guess the sound subdirectory is the voices.

No NFS mounts on .101?

7. widodh

I'm not connected anymore, but what I saw:

The EU directory is about 3GB in size and has two subdirectories:
    - maps
    - data

In all has some .pfs and .nfs files

The sounds directory indeed has the voices. For every different language there is a .pfs file.

Nope, only .100 does NFS.

8. RomanG

RomanG New Member

Hi everyone,

from a discussion with a TM employee I can confirm that they run a modified version of Ubuntu.
    He further told me, that they use Qt.
    But even more interesting (may not for this thread but in general) they use 6 CAN-Buses (AFAIK other Cars use maximum 3).

9. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

Maybe that's why there's such a limited selection of things that we can go to via the smartphone app / "REST API"

10. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Nice detective work on the versions, widodh. That http server does indeed seem quite old. Might provide a way in through exploits?

11. widodh

Maybe indeed. Not sure yet.

A Quick google brought me to a remote execution exploit though: Acme Mini Httpd version 1.19 : Security vulnerabilities

Couple of things which are on my TODO list:

- Reboot main screen and see if it tries a PXE boot or does any DHCP requests
    - Reboot both screens and check the same
    - Cause a IP-address conflict and see what traffic I get in or what happens (Keep the frunk open to pull any fuses if a reboot is required)
    - Try to exploit the HTTP server
    - Try a brute-force on the SSH (probably won't work..)

12. nlc

nlc Member

Great Widodh ! Actually in hollidays I will be able to continue investigation the next week. From my reboot test, I remember no dhcp or pxe request. But you can also try if I missed them.
    Will try to concentrate on the 3h device which seems to countain data from powertrain

13. DEinspanjer

DEinspanjer Member

This is great stuff and very interesting, but I just want to toss in a word of caution, maybe paranoia. :) Given that the car is always connected and definitely phoning home, it is very possible that even the basic investigation work you've done so far, something as simple as registering a new client on the LAN might be reported back in the form of a syslog somewhere. Exploit attempts on the HTTP server or brute forcing the SSH daemon are even more likely to show up in auth logs and such that might work their way back, if not as actual text dumps, then possibly as audit counters such as reporting the number of failed logins or 404 requests, etc. I have no idea how Tesla will react to this information if they do collect and notice it, especially coming from a curious owner, but I think it is a possibility because they might be interested in how and what their competitors are reverse engineering from the cars, not to mention being prepared to react to the eventual likelihood of someone cracking into the cars for nefarious purposes such as being able to enable a high-tech theft ring.

14. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

I suspect that is why this work is being done out in the open......

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

...and I can pretty much guarantee that Tesla already knows about this happening. :)

16. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Even more: they knew this will be happening long time ago.

17. widodh

I'm not hiding anything. If I can find a vulnerability in Model S, somebody else can as well. I'm doing it in public so Tesla can learn from it.

Somebody else might do it without Tesla knowing and could be stealing cars from the owners.

Exactly. If I find something which is very serious I'll contact Tesla to make sure they can fix it.

That can only help them to make Model S and the upcoming models even better.

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think that is the right way to do it. If you find anything serious let Tesla know in private first and give them opportunity to address it in a timely manner.

19. strider

strider Active Member

Enjoying the thread. I hung up my Unix hacking years ago but I can tell you that Navigon is the company that provides the turn-by-turn navigation system for the dashboard screen. That is the filesystem location of the street database where they will upload new maps/databases - same as when you update your handheld Garmin, Tom Tom, etc GPS unit. Navigon is owned by Garmin.
    | NAVIGON - a Garmin company.

20. gelden

gelden Well-Known Member

Would be nice if we could upload our own poi file (charging points for example)