Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful Full Refund (Buy-Back / Vehicle Return) After Three Months & 636 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@super20g I'm curious what would you have told the sheriff or asked them to do? (I can't imagine why a sheriff would get involved.)

Meh, just for dispute resolution really. Not saying it was the best idea, but I am sure the service manager wouldn't want to explain to the regional service manager why the sheriff visited for some BS, so figured worth a try at the point I was at because he was just bullying me for not accepting the car back. I burned yet another vacation day and drove several hours to accept a deal I confirmed with the service manager less than 24 hours prior. When I got there, items on the repair order were incomplete, new damage added, and I was told the deal the service manager worked out with me was a 'maybe' (even though I had it recorded...) and he wouldn't honor it fully shaving a few grand off his offer. He stood between me and the door, demanded the loaner keys back, told me I needed to find my own way home if I didn't accept the car back, and told me if I left the car there for the RO to be completed, since the remaining items were not safety related it was not their responsibility if the car was damaged. Never had anything near that type of experience before.

Last edited:
You are wrong. He is entitled to the tax credit.
I am interested which info is correct. I believe he is entitles to it as well. I thought that's why tesla didn't include the amount when issuing refunds. That was part of my fear or returning my car that resulted in me just accepting it, I thought I would have to wait until I got my tax return to re-order since they remove 10k from the incentives. But I thought that seemed screwy as well because that means they assume you will qualify for the tax incentive.

I think op should actually get 7500 back on his taxes, and then he will get 3250 off his new purchase as well.

If only I would have had bigger balls and time to waste I would have returned mine too. I figured one way or another I was going to get screwed out of the 7500 tax incentive though.

Just as another data point for those curious: Tesla bought mine back for the full amount of what I paid, including all deposits and registration fees. No mention about tax rebates/incentives at all.
Exactly, in most cases they can’t withhold $7500 when repurchasing the car. You may need to return a state rebate if you didn’t keep the car long enough.

I have similar timeframe as chicagop3d, got my check about 1-2 weeks after the 2 pager.

I'm in the exact same situation. How long did it take between signing the paperworks and getting the physical check? I ordered the same config again on the sales side of the service center right after signing the paperworks assuming it'll be a month or two for the delivery.

Two days later they auto assigned me a delivery date. I guess they have P3D inventory laying around these days. So I had to put my order on indefinite hold until I get my money.

Documents signed on January 9, physical check arrived on January 15. The $2500 refund to the credit card occurred over the weekend in between those two dates.

Yeah got my refund on my cc (RELIEF). I pinged the delivery center and asked them when I'll get the check. It took them 4 days to reply and during that time I got my check, and deposited it. Then they reply back telling me its still in process. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: ChicagoP3D
Super20g - sorry they did that to you. You should document your issue and put it up into corporate. Just create a document trail in case you hear of the same tactics in the future and you can maybe get into a class action. I'm no proponent of sueing people or threatening them just because I can, but what you deserve is an acknowledgement that one of Tesla's many employees did something that made a customer feel uncomfortable after you were being reasonable. Nothing suckier than someone else being lazy and thoughtless and wasting your time.

Meh, just for dispute resolution really. Not saying it was the best idea, but I am sure the service manager wouldn't want to explain to the regional service manager why the sheriff visited for some BS, so figured worth a try at the point I was at because he was just bullying me for not accepting the car back. I burned yet another vacation day and drove several hours to accept a deal I confirmed with the service manager less than 24 hours prior. When I got there, items on the repair order were incomplete, new damage added, and I was told the deal the service manager worked out with me was a 'maybe' (even though I had it recorded...) and he wouldn't honor it fully shaving a few grand off his offer. He stood between me and the door, demanded the loaner keys back, told me I needed to find my own way home if I didn't accept the car back, and told me if I left the car there for the RO to be completed, since the remaining items were not safety related it was not their responsibility if the car was damaged. Never had anything near that type of experience before.

Reactions: jiehan
Did you give them the title yet?

Sonicp3d you're in ca right? what delivery center and what was your timeline on return, title exchange, 2 pager, and now?
Delivery was at Fremont, service and repurchase was with service center. SC took the car on paper signing day 2 weeks ago. Title is with the bank. When the Tesla check clears out the loan amount, I'm not sure if the bank will send the title to me or to Tesla. Will see when we get there.

@ChicagoP3D Did you get to keep driving the old/lemon Model 3 until the replacement arrives? How does the pricing work for the replacement? Did you pay whatever the current MSRP is or you can negotiate to match your previous purchase price if it was lower?
Thanks!

The reason I decided to go after a replacement was because the vehicle was stuck in the body shop for over 6+ weeks. It was at that point that I decided to pull the plug and walk away. I never got behind the wheel after I originally dropped the car off for the "one week" service. Eventually after 8 weeks, the auto body returned the vehicle directly to Tesla.

Although I tried to go the route of a replacement vehicle, unfortunately Tesla does not do replacements — the only option is to buy a new car via the website, and I did not have much luck negotiating with the website :) I did have to pay the current MSRP.

• Informative
Reactions: David3
Super20g - sorry they did that to you. You should document your issue and put it up into corporate. Just create a document trail in case you hear of the same tactics in the future and you can maybe get into a class action. I'm no proponent of sueing people or threatening them just because I can, but what you deserve is an acknowledgement that one of Tesla's many employees did something that made a customer feel uncomfortable after you were being reasonable. Nothing suckier than someone else being lazy and thoughtless and wasting your time.

I fully documented the incident with the service manager and the issues with the car and sent the detailed document to their customer service email, to their twitter account, and as an executive escalation through the service portal. I asked in each one for the contact information for the director of service or to be contacted by the director of service. All I got back was someone responding to the escalation request saying they couldn't give me that contact information but that they were sorry for the problems and someone would be in contact with me. A few days later I got a call from a service adviser that reports to the service manager I had the trouble with... That was what all of my reaching out got me... He offered to fix the problems with the car. That was 4 months ago. The car went back up there for service on a flat bed, some of the items were fixed, some were not, and new damage was added when it arrived back to me. Before Christmas they said they ordered a couple trim pieces and would have the rest of the repair items completed soon via mobile service. That was 10 weeks ago. Doubt I will ever hear back if I don't reach out again. It has probably been in services's custody for 30 days already if I count up the days on the repair orders so if they are not careful I'll unfortunately have to lemon a car that really doesn't 'need' to be lemoned over their treatment... The car is cheaper now and this one only has 2K miles so it would actually be cheaper for me to lemon it and get a brand new car... leaving them with one they have to use for engineering / testing I would assume. I don't really want to do that, but I am a little sour for not having the car fixed when this has been going on since August.

Reactions: ChicagoP3D
The reason I decided to go after a replacement was because the vehicle was stuck in the body shop for over 6+ weeks. It was at that point that I decided to pull the plug and walk away. I never got behind the wheel after I originally dropped the car off for the "one week" service. Eventually after 8 weeks, the auto body returned the vehicle directly to Tesla.

Although I tried to go the route of a replacement vehicle, unfortunately Tesla does not do replacements — the only option is to buy a new car via the website, and I did not have much luck negotiating with the website :) I did have to pay the current MSRP.

Thank you for the quick reply and willing to share your experience! Did you get to drive a loaner while waiting for the repair and until you receive the new car then?

I got the same impression at first, but supposedly the "Business Resolutions" team is like one or two guys, so they're just limited on throughput. I was amazed that they actually managed to get the $5,000 refund checks for the P3D+ price drop out in calendar 2018.
How do you contact the "Business Resolutions" team? Do they have a public non-personal email/phone that can be shared with us?