Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful Full Refund (Buy-Back / Vehicle Return) After Three Months & 636 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
per Ca DMV, It is used it it has over 50 miles on it
Source?

For the purposes of the page at FFVR 29
What is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

First time was "Its a software issue"

Second (two parter) time they sent out a Mobile tech to replace the front passenger seat but realized the replacement was damaged. 6 weeks later they did another mobile tech to actually replace the seat.

Third time they kept it over a week and tried to replicate the issue but couldnt (intermittent error that went away after 1+ hour rest)
They replaced both front control modules

Fourth was a mobile tech visit to check again to dig into the logs again ( I gave timestamps). Couldnt figure it out

Fifth time (I asked for a buy-back when I dropped if off for service) They found that the passenger seat harness was damaged. Then found a short in the rear defroster. then found a bent pin in the passenger sideview mirror module.

They may have fixed it after the last time but I was done with the car. They offered me 3500 in service credit if I would keep the car instead of doing a buy-back, I declined.

Other stuff that had gone wrong:

Passenger side loses power (windows, mirror, AC vents) -> replaced harness
Issue with charge port controller failing update -> had to reset the controller
window/door controller module had an internal short that caused the buttons to go to the wrong windows -> replaced controller
Door randomly opening (related to issue above) -> same controller as above
Steering column misalignment causing squeaking -> removed and reinserted steering column
AC fan stopped working and required a hard reset (this was a software bug I believe) (happened in 100F weather in the middle of a trip) -> software update
More small stuff like trim issues. MCU reboots during driving. -> replaced trim and software updates

Man I hadn't written all of that down before. Now I feel more validated. I loved the car but I hated the problems.

Yeah you got screwed not being able to reorder. Cost differential is huge.

Wowzers... Yea, totally validated... Glad it worked out for you and the biggest thing you lost was your time and some of your sanity.

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a good lawyer that has dealt with Tesla?

California Lemon Law Attorney | Sacramento | Patrea R. Bullock, Esq.

I just started the process through a lawyer here in Sacramento CA. I was denied a buy back from Tesla after waiting 2 weeks to hear back from the "buy back department" as the Rocklin SC called them. She states she only gets paid by the manufacturer if you win your case and if you lose you don't owe anything out of pocket. The retainer agreement states the same. If anyone cares I can update on the progress.

Here's my abbreviated story no one asked for.

State - Ca // Mid range 3 // Delivery date: 2-15-19

Car has been at the SC more than 10 times for the same issues and has been there for "extended service" (over 7 days for 2 separate appointments) to reproduce my concerns.

Day after delivery rear camera goes out like thousands of other M3 owners . (Takes approximately 2 weeks to receive an update to fix issue)

Since then the car has swerved while navigating on autopilot multiple times with no obstacles to avoid. (they still don't know why and tell me to keep making logs of the date and times.

The Bluetooh connection and the phone as key function have not worked until the latest 19.24.4 update. (that's 6 months for those counting) They told me it was my phone causing the issue, so I bought a new phone... 2 new phones and issue continued. Went back to old phone after the update and . . . You guessed it... It works fine.

Sentry mode would record and save all clips and fill up the memory stick with events of nothing.

There have been other issues but theses are the ones that bothered me enough to request a buy back for not getting fixed and not receiving answers for the issue besides "an update will come out at some point and fix it"

Part of the offer was free 1-year interval service.... which is almost nothing (filling windshield fluid?)..... garbage

That's Absolute trash! I was given free service for my 2 4 and 6 year check up (which they stopped doing 1 month after offering it to me) for my back up camera going out the day after I took delivery of my M3. I think they knew the scheduled maintenance was getting removed when they offered it. I originally told them to take the car back then and that was the offer to get me to keep the car within the first 7 days. The fact that I wasn't the only one with the issue made it less frustrating.

I head read similar concerns in the forums as well, so I reached out to several lawyers in order to prepare to battle this since there was one brief comment I found where someone mentioned that the involvement of a lawyer caused Tesla to drop their insistence that a deduction be made for the $7,500 EV credit. Thankfully, that turned out to be unnecessary — they never tried to pull that on me. I got 100% of my purchase price back without having to battle any proposed deductions, except for the $2,500 order fee, since that was simply returned to my original credit card rather than included in the refund check. The $1,000 reservation fee was, however, included in the check despite having been paid by credit card.

Hey, I am dealing with a lot of issues in my Tesla 3
My story is long and arduous (a brief summary can be found here: Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims), but suffice it to say that I was apart from my vehicle for over two months for what was supposed to be a relatively quick, one-week repair of superficial delivery defects. After waiting long enough, I decided I wanted to start over—return this one and get a new one with the exact same configuration. The process was time-consuming and stressful, and especially anxiety-ridden since there didn't appear to be anyone else on the boards who had completed the process and was willing to answer questions.

Now that I've gone through it, I'm happy to be that person for others. Let me know if you have any questions. There is actually one other person out there who I've been chatting with who is almost done with his process as well, so hopefully the two of us can be helpful for the rest of the community in the same situation.

View attachment 371395

I am currently dealing with tons of issues in my Tesla 3, unfortunately, to a point that it makes sense to start a return / buy-back process, similar to what you have done. Would you be able to contact me directly to discuss the details? Greatly appreciate your post! My email: [email protected]

I am currently dealing with tons of issues in my Tesla 3, unfortunately, to a point that it makes sense to start a return / buy-back process, similar to what you have done. Would you be able to contact me directly to discuss the details? Greatly appreciate your post! My email
You might want to send that to him via a "Conversation" rather than an open forum post. There are bots that constantly scour the internet looking for email addresses that they can then spam to high heaven. Might want to edit that out of your post. ;)

Reactions: tvad and Watts_Up
I am currently dealing with tons of issues in my Tesla 3, unfortunately, to a point that it makes sense to start a return / buy-back process, similar to what you have done. Would you be able to contact me directly to discuss the details? Greatly appreciate your post! My email: [email protected]
Use NCDS for the arb case. They actually pay the arb fees and the cases move swiftly like they should. With AAA they sit on it for months.

Yeah a few days after NCDS sent out the complaint packet with the arbitration panel resumes and all my photos in monochrome over snail mail to me and Tesla HQ, the SC manager suddenly called me at 7-8pm to say my request for buyback has been approved and please withdraw the NCDS process.

Coincidence? :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: super20g