Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful retrofit of passenger lumbar on 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine doesn’t work anymore. I assume Tesla wasn’t targeting the retrofitters directly but rather the aftermarket ’massage’ modules which can wear out the lumbar supports, so the update probably pushes some rate limit feature or gives the car the ability to disable the modules if used too frequently. Since the car has a stored configuration that says no passenger lumbar, the retrofitted modules don’t get the update. If you got your car retrofitted at Tesla Service I think a tech with toolbox can update the config to ensure the update propagates, and maybe this is what they do when they install it.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Damn you’re right it doesn’t work anymore. I have a mobile service next week I’ll ask to see if the tech can do anything.
Yes, please let us know if they can get it working again. It's frustrating to put in all this effort to install it on our own and have them disable it for no good reason. While they may have data showing people not using it, those of us who installed it, do.

If anyone finds a mechanical method to get it working again, please share.

Yes, please let us know if they can get it working again. It's frustrating to put in all this effort to install it on our own and have them disable it for no good reason. While they may have data showing people not using it, those of us who installed it, do.

If anyone finds a mechanical method to get it working again, please share.
My service center is also looking to it. In theory you could hot jump the contacts on the switch with some wire and solder.

I think all they have to do is go into toolbox and update the vehicle config to include passenger lumbar, then trigger another update. It's not that different from activating HomeLink, I don't think.
@osunick Do you know for sure that passenger lumbar is a distinct vehicle config setting? Or just guessing because it would make sense if Tesla wants to track which cars are supposed to have it?

Asking for two reasons:

1) If you're certain it's a distinct setting, that helps with pushing for Tesla service to update it, vs letting them claim there's no such setting even if they haven't checked.

2) It's also plausible to me that instead of adding a passenger lumbar setting, Tesla took a shortcut like basing the conditional on the build date of the car.

@osunick Do you know for sure that passenger lumbar is a distinct vehicle config setting? Or just guessing because it would make sense if Tesla wants to track which cars are supposed to have it?

Asking for two reasons:

1) If you're certain it's a distinct setting, that helps with pushing for Tesla service to update it, vs letting them claim there's no such setting even if they haven't checked.

2) It's also plausible to me that instead of adding a passenger lumbar setting, Tesla took a shortcut like basing the conditional on the build date of the car.
I’m very confident it’s a config- like most modern cars it contains a vehicle configuration that includes the list of configurable vehicle features (which is over and above what you can select as an end user) to accomodate a standard software package for multiple markets where Tesla may decide to vary installed feature content, not for tracking as you implied but simply to make software development easier and decoupled from actual vehicle configuration. It’s definitely not build date- biuld date and VIN sequence is not a useful way to predict what features Tesla will include in a car as we’ve seen inconsistent changeovers when features get updated.

• Informative
Reactions: Corndart