Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful retrofit of passenger lumbar on 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the potential effects on warranty for this retrofit? As I read the warranty, they can exclude:

I suppose the only exposure we might have is if there were any electrical issues caused by the parts... Seems unlikely, especially if using new Tesla parts...
I am not a lawyer, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act appears relevant. My read is that Tesla needs to argue that the modification you did caused a part or system to fail. So it's conceivable they could void the warranty for the specific seat. It would be a stretch for them to void the warranty on your motor, inverter, or battery based on this.

New member, new Model 3 owner here. My manufacture date appears to be 10/21 according to the sticker on the door. I went to the parts counter and gave them the part numbers for the support and the switch. They asked me “are you trying to install lumbar on the passenger side?” And I said I was. They insisted that my car was “too new” and the parts I was requesting wouldn’t work. Were they confused or just giving me a line? Long story short, they wouldn’t sell me the parts! Is it at all possible that the seat build changed from July 2021 to October 2021 that would prevent this retrofit from working? Thanks for the input!

New member, new Model 3 owner here. My manufacture date appears to be 10/21 according to the sticker on the door. I went to the parts counter and gave them the part numbers for the support and the switch. They asked me “are you trying to install lumbar on the passenger side?” And I said I was. They insisted that my car was “too new” and the parts I was requesting wouldn’t work. Were they confused or just giving me a line? Long story short, they wouldn’t sell me the parts! Is it at all possible that the seat build changed from July 2021 to October 2021 that would prevent this retrofit from working? Thanks for the input!
Easy enough to pull the back of the seat off to see if there's a harness there. Anything is possible with Tesla.

Easy enough to pull the back of the seat off to see if there's a harness there. Anything is possible with Tesla.
Found the parts on eBay and successfully installed today. Thank you for this write up; it proved to be invaluable. My only hiccup was in removing the controller. I had difficulty accessing the screw up front until I remembered from a earlier post to move the seat forward *and* raise it. Once I picked up on that it was all downhill from there. All in, about an hour’s time. Thanks again!

Found the parts on eBay and successfully installed today. Thank you for this write up; it proved to be invaluable. My only hiccup was in removing the controller. I had difficulty accessing the screw up front until I remembered from a earlier post to move the seat forward *and* raise it. Once I picked up on that it was all downhill from there. All in, about an hour’s time. Thanks again!
It's too bad the SC gave you the run around but glad you could get the parts on eBay. Also interesting to note that you had a screw and not that plastic expansion fastener on mine. Looks like they use whatever parts they happen to have available on the assembly line.

It's too bad the SC gave you the run around but glad you could get the parts on eBay. Also interesting to note that you had a screw and not that plastic expansion fastener on mine. Looks like they use whatever parts they happen to have available on the assembly line.
no they changed the plastic fastner to a screw because the plastic one falls out all the time. If you look up the parts list you can see it was changed to a screw

Reactions: gleearch
Yeah, I feel like going back to the SC and tell them, “See??” Because they initially told me it wouldn’t work on my car. Also, in finding the parts on eBay, if anyone goes this route, examine the part photo closely, especially the switch. Every oneI looked at had at least one broken post—snapped off. I jumped on the first one I saw that didn’t have a broken post.

Reactions: tm1v2
Anyone try on a 2022? I have a MYLR coming in at some point and would like to retrofit but i'm concerned that Tesla might make changes that would prohibit the retrofit with the new model year.
Model years aren’t useful in the context of Tesla because the only reason a Tesla has one is because you cannot register or insure a car without one. Different cars built at the same time may have different features, and cars change constantly. The only way to know is to pop the rear cover and look for the harness, and so far nobody has found a seat without a lumbar harness.

Great, thank you! I was worried about a modification to the seats for the 2022 MY that would prevent a retrofit.
I would still check. As I’ve said before, if Tesla makes this change, it will be when they want to, and not based on what model year is printed on your registration. Since the cars have been shipped without lumbar for a while, there’s no way to know if and when they’d change the harness, and it only takes a couple minutes to check. As a reminder, Tesla completely changed the design of the Model 3 seats without telling anyone in 2018 during that model year. If you look around you’ll see plenty of examples of Tesla changing things that aren’t visible many times during a model year.

For instance, early 2022 and current 2022 models have a completely different 15.5 V battery which also is tied to an entirely new MCU that is AMD and not Intel based. No announcement, people just figured it out by looking in their system details or keeping an eye on China production.