Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful retrofit of passenger lumbar on 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really crazy. I mean, they are already supporting 2 different passenger lumbar configs - one with and one without, so why couldn't they simply add the cars that have been retrofitted to the 'with' config? They could even charge a small fee to do it and I suspect most of you retrofitters would pay it. They could also offer a kit with installation and generate additional revenue.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Nope. Official word from service center is. Car doesn’t support lumbar
There's just no reason to deliberately remove our ability to use our retrofitted lumbar controls other than sheer pettines to prove their point that no one uses it. These are cars that are supposed to be premium and we have installed the controls on our own, at our own expense and time. I get they dominate but customer loyalty comes from treating your customers fairly. How does our actions in retrofitting our own cars impact them negatively, enough for them to deny us the use of the controls?

Reactions: ItsMeDario
There's just no reason to deliberately remove our ability to use our retrofitted lumbar controls other than sheer pettines to prove their point that no one uses it. These are cars that are supposed to be premium and we have installed the controls on our own, at our own expense and time. I get they dominate but customer loyalty comes from treating your customers fairly. How does our actions in retrofitting our own cars impact them negatively, enough for them to deny us the use of the controls?
I don't think they are going out of their way to screw over those that have retrofitted the lumbar support. The car's SW just doesn't support it any longer, from a certain VIN onwards.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
They had to go out of their way to create a configuration that disables the lumbar support on newer VINs. There was no need to do that.
There may have been a need to do it. For example if they changed/removed the components on the board that dealt with the lumbar signals it could mean that updates could fail. By having a configuration the car knows which correct firmware to install to that module.

Engineering told the techs here that there’s not option to change that, which I don’t believe, but that’s where we are at!
Translation: By policy there is no option. :-(

This is pretty frustrating. I got lucky to just barely dodge buying the parts when this news came out - they were waiting for me to pick up and pay at my local service center. I'm pissed on behalf of all of you who bought the official Tesla parts just to have them deactivated. And I'd still like to have adjustable passenger lumbar in my car..if only Tesla would sell it to me.

This is frustrating beyond belief. We had it working and now they have deactivated it. I doubt a lumbar controller configuration would impact anything else significant in the car to have it deactivated like this.
yep, and to be fair my parts guy warned me of this. I question if your replaced the contoller with the "pre removal controller" could they put you in a different config

Reactions: gleearch
You need to move the seat forward until you can see the bottom retainer arm of the seat side liner. On some cars it will have a toryx head bolt but in mine it had a white plastic expansion clip like you see in the photo above. You need to push the clip out from above. Once it pops out, it's not reusable, so make sure you pick up a couple of spares from the service center. Like the ones in the photo below.

View attachment 729900

Sucks to hear that everyone had their retrofits disabled as I was actually considering doing this, but I figured I’d chime in that you can reuse these plastic rivets. The seat bottom cover snapped off it’s retaining guide when I leaned into my car to clean the windshield and my knee hit it at a good amount of force. I was able to remove the rivet and snap the cover back into its guide so it wouldn’t loosen up over time. But to save myself a trip to the dealer to pick up a 2 cent piece of plastic I wrapped some thin sewing string around the end that was splayed open like the middle one above until it was closed back up, then fed it though the hole and pulled the string off and it expanded back out perfectly in place. I put the center pin back in and good as new!

Sucks to hear that everyone had their retrofits disabled as I was actually considering doing this, but I figured I’d chime in that you can reuse these plastic rivets. The seat bottom cover snapped off it’s retaining guide when I leaned into my car to clean the windshield and my knee hit it at a good amount of force. I was able to remove the rivet and snap the cover back into its guide so it wouldn’t loosen up over time. But to save myself a trip to the dealer to pick up a 2 cent piece of plastic I wrapped some thin sewing string around the end that was splayed open like the middle one above until it was closed back up, then fed it though the hole and pulled the string off and it expanded back out perfectly in place. I put the center pin back in and good as new!
Theve replaced them with screws

I don't think they will restore functionality anytime soon. It'll give lie to,"no one is using it." They already removed data from the USB-C's in the center console. Now they are not including the mobile charger with new cars. I'm waiting to see what else gets removed.