Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Such a great car... Why such crappy floor mats?

Are you satisfied with the quality of the Tesla-provided floor mats?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the Weather Tech laser cut mats in two SUVs and ordered a set for the S (when it arrives). I live in MN and have a horse so these have been the best few hundred bucks investment in my SUVs - I am hoping for the same result in the S. I think the laser cut ones are a better fit, generally, but I am prepared to ship them back to Weather Tech if they don't fit exceptionally well!

This is really a thing?

On day 1, I drove from the factory to a nearby shopping center and acquired a full set of vinyl floor mats for about $20 before heading south. I tossed the rears, put in the fronts, and there they sit to this day almost a year and a half later. They were clear and are now a tad discolored - if I had it to do over again, I might have gotten black. They sit on top of the existing floor mats and all is well.

Never occurred to me to rely upon what came with the car; they're just fitted pieces of carpet. Which it appears is the source of the considerable angst above. Had I known Tesla would replace them, maybe I would have - but with 8,000 miles left in the warranty, I'm not going to start now.

Caveat: I have neither pets nor progeny - of which I know, at least, nor do I spend appreciable time in snowy climes (which inherently means more dirt in the car. Every time I wash the car (every 2 weeks), I take out the floor mats and shake them with great vigor. Haven't washed them yet. Hence the discoloration. But they've held up well.

I bought the mats from formytesla, but the outgassing (I assume that's the source of the odor) is so powerful I can't use them. They are currently in the tub where I soaked them overnight hoping to reduce the smell. I got extremely nauseous when I first got them and threw them in the floor of the car. I have a 45 min drive to work and by the time I got there I was ready to throw up. Hoping I can use them someday - they were expensive! But they are good looking and heavy duty.
teslamats.JPG

OMG!! I thought it was just me.... I hate the floor mats, the ends curl and they keep sliding up. My old Volvo S60 R-Design had floor mats with 4 push buttons that locked into place on the floor of the car. That was a great solution!

Right at delivery I had the weathertech / tesla floor mats replace the stock fabric mats. I like the quality of the weathertech. My Dad has them in his Honda Odyssey and my brother has them in his BMW 535. I think they are totally worth the price for our Canadian winters.

Reactions: THXULTRA
This is why I love enthusiast forums.

I haven't had any issues with my floor mats. They've been on par with any other car I've owned. They haven't "wowed" me, but it's probably more important that they haven't disappointed me. To me they're just mats, I suppose.

Right at delivery I had the weathertech / tesla floor mats replace the stock fabric mats. I like the quality of the weathertech. My Dad has them in his Honda Odyssey and my brother has them in his BMW 535. I think they are totally worth the price for our Canadian winters.
Did the same thing picked up my car drove it right to the Weathertech store (we have the factory really close) and put them in. Well worth the money especially for me driving in a snow climate.

Reactions: vraev
I bought the Tesla Weathertech mats before I even got my car. Living on a dirt road in snow country it is helpful to have mats that will catch and hold mud, snow and water. In my view, the standard mats are for those who live sunny, dry cities.

One problem I had with the regular mats that came in my car is that the Velcro pads become partly unstuck and the sticky discs fold and stick to themselves. I figured just get some new stick on pad discs but service said they aren't replaceable, you have to buy new mats. I can see why people aren't happy with the regular mats.

Last edited:
Reactions: vraev
+1 on curling problem. Would love to hear more about aftermarket options as I can already tell that I'm going to have to replace mine.
Lots of threads on this. Search a bit and you will find posts about various carpet mats by several sellers. Try EVAnnex for a start. My own choice was CocoMats.com, which has been supplying mats to cars since the 1970s, as I recall. US made and various fabrics, colors, and styles.
20151010_141401.jpg

Reactions: juju