Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suction cup mount & Valentine One on the S windshield black dot area....wont stick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to give the Valentine One a try by mounting it up by the black dots on the windshield. I realize there are pros/cons to this as discussed thoroughly on other threads, so I'm not looking to rehash that debate.

Anyway, I bought the V1 suction cup mount, but it won't stick up there on the black dots. The suction cups can't make a seal on those black dots as the dots are kind of "bumpy," preventing a good seal. I've read on other threads, however, that some people are mounting their V1 up by those dots.....how are you doing it?

Also, anyone have a better way to mount the V1 up by the black dots WITHOUT using the suction cup mount? I'm not thrilled with the idea of mounting my V1 up on the windshield with only 2 little suction cups to hold it in place. I saw some other metal mounts mentioned on other threads, but they don't seem to be designed to hold the V1 "sideways" to the rear view mirror. I'm also wondering if I could use some sort of adhesive in combination with the suction cups to hold it in place.

do you want to try visor mount? 100% out of view

RedBar_division.gif
20308.gif

Visor Mount
Visor Mount
Item 20308

Price: $10.00
Quantity:​

I've used a couple layers of clear packing tape over the bumps to smooth it out and give a nice surface to suction to. It works great, but the tape glue will fail eventually, probably 5 years or so.

If you want a cleaner method, look at the BlendMount: Tesla - Blendmount Radar Detector Mounts . They have power taps as well to make it easy to get power from the mirror without running lots of wires.

If you want to go even more integrated, check out Radar Mirrors: Store V1 Mirrors.

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought some of the 3M double sided foam tape, removed the cups, and taped it directly to the metal. Works great and after a month, the V1 hasn't fallen down.
I've done the same and that works well.

I just bought some of the 3M double sided foam tape, removed the cups, and taped it directly to the metal. Works great and after a month, the V1 hasn't fallen down.

OK, will give that a look. I was a little concerned that tape of some sort wouldn't work. I'm in the Chicago area, and I figured between 120F+ car interior temperatures in the summer and -20F in the winter, the great temperature changes would cause the tape to not stick very well.

I've used a couple layers of clear packing tape over the bumps to smooth it out and give a nice surface to suction to. It works great, but the tape glue will fail eventually, probably 5 years or so.

If you want a cleaner method, look at the BlendMount: Tesla - Blendmount Radar Detector Mounts . They have power taps as well to make it easy to get power from the mirror without running lots of wires.

If you want to go even more integrated, check out Radar Mirrors: Store V1 Mirrors.

- - - Updated - - -

I've done the same and that works well.

I saw that Blendmount detector mount on another thread when I asked a question about radar detection in the Model S, but do you (or anyone) know if that mount has enough flexibility so that when it is attached to the mirror the V1 can be manipulated to a point on the windshield where it is "looking" through the black dots on the windshield?