TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

sudden acceleration

Discussion in 'Model X' started by BinWing, May 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BinWing

BinWing Member

#61 BinWing, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Why do you have problems of the technical person's comment on the value of data log? I will not respond to the personal attack in any level.
    I am a scientist, I am used to look at the data whenever available. Whether they are useful or not could be subjective, many of us just love technical data. Yes, according to Sterling, the sensors on MX were added to record the info on data log

It is unusual to me that Tesla won't respond to my request see the log report for 5 days. If they can't show me the data directly (because of the company policy), they should be able to give me some debriefing when the car crashed into two parked cars. If there is no technical problems of MX, wouldn't it be easy for them to advise me what I may or may not do at the moment?

• Like x 2
  2. BinWing

BinWing Member

Thanks, good point. When I talked to the supervisor, I asked her what she can help. She said she would talk to the roadside assistance team.... I am not sure I get that.

3. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

What I don't understand is why the Model X lets itself be driven into anything. This is likely why Consumer Reports lowered its rating on the X, because there's no meaningful automatic braking that would stop accidents like this from happening. Instead we get automatic acceleration into objects! My 2010 Infiniti stopped me from hitting cars, people, etc. on numerous occasions with the Pre-Collision Intervention system. Why Tesla can't match a 7-year-old technology is beyond me.

• Like x 1
  4. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

FWIW, Sterling Anderson appearing - and not only appearing but saying those things - seemed a bit too thick for me too. I guess anything is possible, but yeah, I wouldn't buy that part outright.

• Like x 1
  5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Why didn't Apple have Cut 'n Paste, MMS messaging, etc. when they first released the iPhone? These features were all available on much cheaper phones for decades.

Because it's a completely new platform and all these "trivial" like features need to be developed from scratch, one by one. It's not like Tesla can go down to the local hardware store and buy a AEB module and plug it into their cars. And AEB is way more complicated to implement than Cut 'n Paste.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. BinWing

BinWing Member

Yeah, I definitely didn't feel any level of "emergency brake" at the time of crash. I had hoped the log report will give the trajectory, images and rich data to assemble the whole picture, Maybe Tesla does have the story, just not telling me.

It is really disappointing that when this accident happened, Tesla has not shown any interests to debrief me or to find out more details from me.

7. AnxietyRanger

Well, Bosch is not local but they can buy a plane ticket. :D

Besides, no worries, as Tesla.com says AEB came already in December 2016.

• Funny x 1
  8. BinWing

BinWing Member

#68 BinWing, May 16, 2017
  9. AnxietyRanger

10. David29

David29 Supporting Member

I have also had "unexpected acceleration" when I either had been using TACC or Autopilot, or inadvertently hit the cruise control lever. It is startling. Guess I am lucky I have had no accidents or other adverse consequences as a result.

Given that this same arrangement of stalks is used on Mercedes cars, and their cruise control is actuated the same way (or was, the last I knew), it would be useful to know if there are similar incidents in MBs. I would guess there must be.

I had MBs but I never had one new enough to have the present stalk arrangement. I had the earlier arrangement in which the cruise control stalk was above the turn signal stalk. (And I honestly cannot recall whether or not I ever had any unintentional actuations of the cruise speed.) I remember quite clearly that some Tesla owners complained a lot about the previous stalk arrangement, but some preferred the old one to the current design. Statistics would be nice to have.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

But you realize this article is about a law suit by people who, while in full control of their vehicle, crashed it and want to blame Tesla for not having a system in place to stop them from crashing their vehicle into wall, gyms, stores, etc... while they were in control of it.. (and most likely pressing the accelerator)?

• Like x 3
  12. BinWing

BinWing Member

#72 BinWing, May 16, 2017
    Let's not take the presumption all of these owners were against Tesla. Most of us are die-hard early supporters, and are more than willing to take chances.

My experience was totally not the acceleration by mistake: there is a small chance I somehow activated CC (which is unlikely to me but only log data can tell). I would probably dismiss the reported claims all together before what happened to me last Friday.

I wanted Tesla to talk to me, want to understand what had happened to me. More importantly, I want to make sure this will not happen in the future. I am still shaken with the feeling of MX right turn at 60 mph to the parked cars

13. BinWing

BinWing Member

14. MXFan

MXFan Member

Just curious, but are you related to Sterling Anderson in some way?

15. BinWing

BinWing Member

#75 BinWing, May 16, 2017
    II wish, so I would be more inclined to use AP.
    I was surprised to meet the lead engineer of the my car at that situation.

I had less than 10 min encounter with him when I crashed my MX. One of the parked cars I damaged could possibly related to his new company.

16. MasterT

MasterT Member

Maybe he, Sterling Anderson, was following you, hacked your car, waited for the opportunity when you would be turning right with parked cars ahead, then took control over and remotely accelerated your car running it into parked cars. Then, "he left and almost got home", unloaded the equipment he used to hack your car, returned to make a statement about the constant speed (which he knows for a fact as he was controlling the car)

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You can turn off cruise control completely. Tap the end of the stalk. With it off you can't engage it by accidentally lifting the stalk.

• Disagree x 2
  18. BinWing

BinWing Member

I actually do not know this feature, I will definitely try it when I get the car back. Thank you so much for the important information.

19. BinWing

BinWing Member

#79 BinWing, May 16, 2017
    I hope you are actually old enough to post here, I don't understand your state of mind. Making fun of people when they ask for your insight and support from the unfortunate situation is not funny.

The witness who came back was a senior citizen who was driving behind me. It is important we face facts. Inventing claims without evidences only works for certain individual.

• Like x 1
  20. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Not true. At the end of your owners manual there is a section about data collection. It states something to the effect that if you request the logs for a repair not related to warranty (i.e. a crash) they will release the data.

You may need it for your insurance anyway if it was an actual malfunction.

• Informative x 3