Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sudden acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just opened a thread 10 minutes ago on a similar issue.. My S just accelerated on me today WHILE BRAKING.

You are describing the classic pedal mis-identification case. I know it's hard to understand, but any human can do this at times and will swear they were on the brakes but they were actually on the throttle. This is where all the "unintended acceleration" cases that Audi dealt with in the '80s and Toyota a few years ago.

If you care to learn more, Malcom Gladwell has an awesome podcast on this:

Revisionist History Episode 08

I've had something similar but with AP on. In the freeway I was behind a car that changed lanes and in front of me was a large Blue truck. It maintained my speed for a second and then just accelerated as it was going to crash into the truck and I had to break. I tried again a second time to test it out and it was fine again for a second or two and then started to accelerate. It was after work so the freeway was pretty busy and I AP was about 10 to 15 mph. I was able to take a video of it as well which I am going to be sharing with the service team tomorrow.

I don't see how the log could justify the difference between the acceration peddle was pressed by the driver or by itself. Computer log could only read acceration was engaged.

I read too many stories and Tesla would never admit fault regardless.

To each his own. It's been the best auto-owning experience I've had. Tesla's customer service has been stellar. And... I'm out.

• Disagree
Reactions: rpez021
I don't see how the log could justify the difference between the acceration peddle was pressed by the driver or by itself. Computer log could only read acceration was engaged.

Tesla logs two independent throttle and Brake position sensors.

If you say "I was standing on the brake" and all they have logged is two maxed out throttle sensors, then you were standing on the throttle. You'd have to argue that there were 4 simultaneous failures for that to be contrary to what happened.

Now, if you are arguing that it just accelerated all on its own, then that could be true, and then the question becomes "where were your feet"? and "why were you not pressing the brake?"

If you believe stories, listen to another one: Revisionist History Episode 08

Now, if you are arguing that it just accelerated all on its own, then that could be true, and then the question becomes "where were your feet"? and "why were you not pressing the brake?"

If you believe stories, listen to another one: Revisionist History Episode 08

I am not taking any position, but I do worry that one day this shxt can happen to me. That's the thing, you can never win an argument with Tesla. "Why your foot not pressing the brake". Human needs time to react. And why aren't the emergency braking system breaks? The car is full of senors, if you are under 20mph, it should be impossible for the car to hit anything.

I've had something similar but with AP on. In the freeway I was behind a car that changed lanes and in front of me was a large Blue truck. It maintained my speed for a second and then just accelerated as it was going to crash into the truck and I had to break. I tried again a second time to test it out and it was fine again for a second or two and then started to accelerate. It was after work so the freeway was pretty busy and I AP was about 10 to 15 mph. I was able to take a video of it as well which I am going to be sharing with the service team tomorrow.

I've had the same happen on my AP1, but mine was a white reflective truck. It's happened on enough occasions that I determined the cameras seem to have issues reading white semi trucks and will typically disengage as I'm approaching one.

The accelerator has two sensors. Between the two, it's able to determine if the car is under acceleration and whether the pedal itself is pressed. This is apparent when AP is able to accelerate, but the pedal itself doesn't move down. If you manually press the pedal while AP is active, it will also yell at you for pressing the pedal down. So it is able to tell.

I'm one to believe, where there's smoke, there's usually fire. But I also acknowledge there's a lot of muscle memory type differences when going to and from a Tesla/NonTesla.

I am not taking any position, but I do worry that one day this shxt can happen to me. That's the thing, you can never win an argument with Tesla. "Why your foot not pressing the brake". Human needs time to react. And why aren't the emergency braking system breaks? The car is full of senors, if you are under 20mph, it should be impossible for the car to hit anything.

Is there anyplace that Tesla has ever advertised that it isn't possible to hit a car below 20 MPH? You're arguing that because you believe it might be technically possible, then it should be true, even though Tesla never advertised it as something the car does?

It's technically possible to put a man on Mars. Are you pissed at all the governments in the world have failed to do so? It's technically possible for Tesla to write software that uses facial recognition to let you in the car by putting your face near the backup camera. Do you expect them to do that? Do you promise to not sue Tesla if they tell you "it likely can't hit cars below 20 MPH" and then it manages to do it one day?

The reason the "why was your foot not on the brake?" question is valid is that when you argue to any car manufacturer that the car accelerated on it's own and the datalog shows the throttle pedal is pressed, there are two options: The redundant and cross-checked system in the car failed in a way that a valid accelerate signal was processed, or it was you pressing the pedal. One is about 1,000,000 times more likely than the other.

Tesla's accelerator sensing is no different than any other modern car on the road.

I have had this issue while slowing down to turn with a car in front of me when the auto steer disengages but cruise does not. The Tesla surges as it tries to get back up to speed when the car in front turns first and there is nothing in front of me at this point until I make the turn. I expect it now and pay more attention.

I still feel that there should be collision avoidance that overrides everything else and brakes the car when impact is imminent. With the radar and optical sensors this should be possible. Other cars seem to have it. Not sure why my 1.0 HW MX does not.

Reactions: earlyretirement
I still feel that there should be collision avoidance that overrides everything else and brakes the car when impact is imminent. With the radar and optical sensors this should be possible. Other cars seem to have it. Not sure why my 1.0 HW MX does not.

Which car in the world do you believe has this?

Tesla does have Automatic Emergency Braking. But no car can work in every situation, and AEB in all cars is meant to reduce the impact of a crash, not avoid it completely.

Which car in the world do you believe has this?

Tesla does have Automatic Emergency Braking. But no car can work in every situation, and AEB in all cars is meant to reduce the impact of a crash, not avoid it completely.

There are some the used to advertise the ability to avoid all at a certain speed. Volvo was one of them: Technology 1, distracted drivers 0: Volvo City Safety cuts accidents by 27% - ExtremeTech

Unfortunately for them, the technology was not too reliable at the time and there were some embarrassing videos of the failure. It seems it paid off though as mobileye has them ranked first and avoiding most 40kph shortly after. This was back in 2013..
http://www.mobileye.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/adac_AEbs_report_en.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal and MS16
There are some the used to advertise the ability to avoid all at a certain speed. Volvo was one of them: Technology 1, distracted drivers 0: Volvo City Safety cuts accidents by 27% - ExtremeTech

Unfortunately for them, the technology was not too reliable at the time and there were some embarrassing videos of the failure. It seems it paid off though as mobileye has them ranked first and avoiding most 40kph shortly after. This was back in 2013..
http://www.mobileye.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/adac_AEbs_report_en.pdf

Very interesting to read that some of these systems were able to stop for stationary objects way back in 2011, in actual production cars sold to the public.

Reactions: gabeincal
With my AP1 X, I have had it come on and try to accelerate to a 75mph setting when I was travelling at 25-30mph. It definitely caught me by surprise and required me to react quickly to disengage it. It's happened on more than one occasion when I was expecting it to engage at my current speed, but it engages at the set speed instead.

I eventually figured out why. When you push the stalk up or down, it will engage at your current speed. If you pull back towards you, it will engage at the already set (or previously set) speed that's indicated on your dash. If it's significantly higher, it will accelerate quickly to get up to that speed.

Yep. This also happened to me before. I think it's exactly as you mentioned above and I accidentally pushed the stalk which activated the cruise control and it accelerated very rapidly. The scary thing was it was a red light ahead and cars and the car didn't seem to slow down. I had to slam on the breaks. It wasn't a good feeling. It sounds like this is what happened to you.

I think Tesla should definitely look at this as it sounds like it's happening to quite a few people.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
I would love to see a video of this accident haha

The empathy on TMC is overflowing. What wonderful people some are...

Even if it had accelerated by itself( we know it didn't). Why didn't you just hit the brakes?

Accidental cruise control resume would seem like a plausible candidate and with the immediate torque of a Tesla, it seems obvious from the report that they driver simply did not react fast enough to hit the brakes.

There are tons of reports of accidental cruise control resume in corner-turning situations on TMC, so that seems like a very plausible scenario.

The empathy on TMC is overflowing. What wonderful people some are...

Accidental cruise control resume would seem like a plausible candidate and with the immediate torque of a Tesla, it seems obvious from the report that they driver simply did not react fast enough to hit the brakes.

There are tons of reports of accidental cruise control resume in corner-turning situations on TMC, so that seems like a very plausible scenario.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this, while Tesla still not calling back to view the log.

I want to understand, how fast you can react to avoid hitting the parked car when you make the right turn at probably 55 mph speed. The feeling of the car suddenly accelerated at a high speed while your expectation is the slow right turn, still haunt me two days later. I am usually proud of my quick reflex. This one is beyond me. I first feel the human fear, the rational reaction comes seconds later....

I want to understand, how fast you can react to avoid hitting the parked car when you make the right turn at probably 55 mph speed. The feeling of the car suddenly accelerated at a high speed while your expectation is the slow right turn, still haunt me two days later. I am usually proud of my quick reflex. This one is beyond me. I first feel the human fear, the rational reaction comes seconds later....

The torque of any Tesla (any good EV really) accelerating from 0 is immense - and even more so if you have a Performance model. Do you have a "P" model?

Is it possible you touched the cruise control stalk by mistake while turning? This seems to be a common mistake and could result in cruise control resuming an old speed with gusto or even maintaining current speed could be a problem if you thought you were decelerating into the corner...

Last edited: