Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Accleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To OP:

(*deep breath*)

Your wife is mistaken and was pressing the accelerator pedal.

The brakes are mechanical and will always stop the car when the brake pedal is pressed.
The brakes can overpower the motors even if they somehow were at full power when trying to stop.
Repeat: The brakes are mechanical and will always stop the car when the brake pedal is pressed.
If the brakes still worked after the event, then they still would have worked during the event.
The brakes are a mechanical system.
Software can not disable the brakes.

Repeat: Your wife is mistaken and was pressing the accelerator pedal.

Yeah this is bogus. (Pretty sure I've noted this in another thread.)

To put the car in drive, your foot has to be on the brake.
To enable cruise control, your foot has to be off the brake.

Saying that if you "put the car in drive twice" it enables cruise control is fundamentally incompatible with reality.

Also, Tesla's don't accelerate on their own. Get over it.

Also, the logs don't lie..
I want to give the OP the benefit of the doubt but I too lean towards user error with mistaken stop/go pedal...

Yes, I was able to get “cruise control” to activate from a “hold” standstill while at an in-n-out drive through. It even let me select the speed, 1mph.
I don’t mean to sound like a safety nanny, but being able to easily accidentally activate cruise from a very low speed through a mis-click of a lever seems like a teeny-weeny safety issue.

Any FUSA ISO 26262 experts who own a Tesla and can duplicate this care to chime in on that?

I don’t mean to sound like a safety nanny, but being able to easily accidentally activate cruise from a very low speed through a mis-click of a lever seems like a teeny-weeny safety issue.
If you activate cruise from a "very low speed"

(1) it's not going to accelerate rapidly like a racing launch

(2) a dab of brake would instantly disable cruise

(3) brake would always overpower Accel

That's assuming the cruise would activate. Wouldn't do it for me in a parking today, even while on the Accel pedal

This. Brake pedal always stops the car.

If she had time to say “I am not able to stop the car”, why wasn’t her foot pressing the brake?

That's not even the fastest way to say 'CAN'T STOP!'. I agree. Clearly this was user-error. It's far more likely that someone thinks they were braking (when they were accelerating) than a Tesla just rocketed off on its own for no reason.

Further, announcing 'I am not able to stop the car' in such a circuitous and detached fashion shows a fatalistic tendency. Someone who so easily feels a fatalistic loss of agency to intervene is probably not very technically savvy and tends to panic in emergent situations. Panicked people make mistakes. Panicked fatalists will tend to fail to intervene where intervention could make all the difference.

Someone with quicker reactions and situational awareness would instantly be hitting the brake the second unwanted motion was underway. Was the operator wearing shoes (such as heels, wedges, clogs) which remove feel or set one up for such mistakes?

All of this supports the user-error hypothesis.

Last edited:
You can get unintended acceleration when you try to put the car in drive - twice.
The cruise control activates and start to speed up to the local speed limit.

Sometimes it takes a second for the car to actually put the car in drive after pressing the stalk.
When inpatient, you could press it twice and put it in cruise controle.

I could easily see that doing it. I mistakenly did that one time at a light, and it started to go immediately as I haven't yet enabled the traffic light control. Fortunately I hit the brakes immediately and nobody was in front of me (I was first in line at the light). I'm slowly easing into FSD options. Either way (and I'm in no way faulting the driver, it could be a major issue), application of the brake pedal should take it right out of any AutoPilot mode that may have caused the accident.

Please show us this on video as I can't get my Model 3 to do this.
If you are stopped, there has to be another car ahead of you to engage tacc. It doesn't have to be that close. If I'm first in line and stopped at a traffic light, the cruise control available icon on the dash flashes on and off as cars in the perpendicular lane pass in front of me. Your foot also has to be off the brake pedal.

If you are stopped, there has to be another car ahead of you to engage tacc. It doesn't have to be that close. If I'm first in line and stopped at a traffic light, the cruise control available icon on the dash flashes on and off as cars in the perpendicular lane pass in front of me. Your foot also has to be off the brake pedal.
But if there's a car in front of you and you engage TACC your car won't start to move forward presumably?

Yeah this is bogus. (Pretty sure I've noted this in another thread.)

To put the car in drive, your foot has to be on the brake.
To enable cruise control, your foot has to be off the brake.

Saying that if you "put the car in drive twice" it enables cruise control is fundamentally incompatible with reality.

It's not that improbable. Putting the car in drive while your foot is on the brake, taking your foot off the brake while fumbling around and then, forgetting you already are in drive, selecting drive again. If there is another car in front of you, like in a parking lot, your car will accelerate. It should stop before hitting the other car, though. But if you panic and hit the accelerator by mistake you are doomed.

You've only had the car less than a month. Prime for mistaking the accelerator pedal for the brake. Let me guess, she's not the primary driver?
Makes 0 sense. The gas and brake pedals are in the exact same place as on any other automobile. You’re no more likely to forget where they are in the first month of ownership than you are in your 40th year of driving an automobile.

That's not even the fastest way to say 'CAN'T STOP!'. I agree. Clearly this was user-error. It's far more likely that someone thinks they were braking (when they were accelerating) than a Tesla just rocketed off on its own for no reason.

Further, announcing 'I am not able to stop the car' in such a circuitous and detached fashion shows a fatalistic tendency. Someone who so easily feels a fatalistic loss of agency to intervene is probably not very technically savvy and tends to panic in emergent situations. Panicked people make mistakes. Panicked fatalists will tend to fail to intervene where intervention could make all the difference.

Someone with quicker reactions and situational awareness would instantly be hitting the brake the second unwanted motion was underway. Was the operator wearing shoes (such as heels, wedges, clogs) which remove feel or set one up for such mistakes?

All of this supports the user-error hypothesis.
OP is likely not reading a word for word transcript of what happened, rather summarizing what happened. Critiquing the specific English that was used in the situation has no relation to the events that transpired. Hell, maybe OP and their spouse don’t speak English when they’re talking to each other, and the post is a translation of what was said.

In any case, the wording that someone uses when speaking does not have a concrete connection to their ability to drive a motor vehicle, despite your ridiculous blathering.

Makes 0 sense. The gas and brake pedals are in the exact same place as on any other automobile. You’re no more likely to forget where they are in the first month of ownership than you are in your 40th year of driving an automobile.
It's not about where the pedals are, but where your foot is when pulling into a parking space. With one-foot driving, as you slow down into the parking space your foot is over the accelerator. If you are new to this and something happens to require quick braking, you might press down with the foot that would have normally been over the brake pedal for 40 years. Sadly, it's now over the accelerator.

Interesting how some people are able to conclude "clearly" absolutely definitely 100% that the driver is at fault based on no first hand information.
I am a bit for scientific than that. I would never say it is certainly driver fault based on information I see on a web
site. While I personally suspect it is user error, I will reserve my comment that anything is certain :)
Not enough evidence for me to definitely claim user error

I had a case of “sudden acceleration” with my i3 while backing into a spot. It was totally drivers error as the car was new and my brain got confused as it was learning how to use the regenerative braking while backing up.

I was on the top level of a parking garage and ended up mere millimeters from a flimsy gate that would not have stopped me from plummeting 5 levels.

Not to be a jerk, but I believe these incidents of sudden/unintended acceleration are actually people who did what I did. The brain got confused and the accelerator was pressed with the intention of braking. Glad everyone is okay, but it does take some learning to drive an EV. Plus people don’t want to admit they pressed the go pedal when they wanted to stop.

I did not interpret his comment that way. I doubt he meant that she confused where the brake and accelerator are located. So to me the comment does make sense. People sometimes get confused for other reasons.:) as noted by thehanjaguru