Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Bluetooth issue (Model S-5.6 firmware, iPhone 5-7.0.4)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Andrewket: have you tried upgrading your phone to iOS 7.1? At least for me, so far, it has worked better than it ever did, with only rare Bluetooth drop out during music playback. Phone calls have worked much better. I am waiting to see if Tesla 5.9 makes any other difference, hoping for download soon!

By the way, the local service center replaced my entire center screen and the Bluetooth issue persisted despite that. I presume that console includes the Bluetooth module. Thus far, I think iOS 7.1 made the difference in my case at least.

SteveW- I installed iOS 7.1 and it didn't change anything. On the Tesla side I installed 5.8.10 and it that didn't fix it either. In fact, the problem occurs so regularly now that I've unpaired my phone from the car. I'm using the phone's built in speaker. I've taken some video clips of the problem. My car goes into service this Friday @ Rockville. I'm hopeful that they can fix it. My phone works fine in my other cars, so I don't think it's the phone. I haven't tried my wife's iPhone in the Tesla yet. I should do that before Friday. The Wi-Fi reception on my car is also terrible. It's not uncommon to have a combo bluetooth/wifi chip. Maybe the problem is related.

Ok. I have had this same issue. Not always, but there are periods where it's happens more than not. Calls are fine for about a minute. But then it gets completely choppy.

I have an iPhone 5 with latest iOS, and prior to day had 5.8.10. But it happened with earlier ones too. I also have a Pebble! And a Fitbit. I wonder if all the BT comms are causing the sync issue.

To follow up on my case, the SC was unable to reproduce the issue using their phones. After I sent them a video of the problem they noticed that with my phone I'm using a magnetic mount right where the BT antenna sits. I was planning to bring my phone in to test the theory, but as it so happened the problem reproduced itself with the loaner car.

With that piece of data, I managed to have Apple replace my iPhone under AppleCare. So far the problem hasn't repeated, but I haven't spent that much time in the car the past few days due to travel. I'm still convinced that the ambient temperature played a role. The problem manifested itself constantly when it was cold. Once it got warmer it could take 20-30 min for the issue to occur. We shall see!

I have been frustrated with this very problem. Iphone 5. Have upgraded to latest IOS, have had Tesla update firmware and even change microphone. Still horrible. I noticed people on this forum who have reported this issue reported having pebble watch as I do. I then deleted the pebble app and unpaired the pebble from my phone and for two days and 6 calls no issues. Too early for me to say it is solved, but it is looking like there is a conflict with pebble/pebble app/iphone IOS and Tesla. Those of you still having a problem and have a pebble try to see if this solves the problem. Thanks.

Another vote for a possible Pebble related issue. I had the longest, interference free call I've had in a while yesterday with my pebble in airplane mode. Seems like this issue began when the pebble started to use the BT LE protocol. I wonder if this ties into Tesla doing LE things for future enhancements?

Not really sure how to go about getting it looked into/resolved...

I have been frustrated with this very problem. Iphone 5. Have upgraded to latest IOS, have had Tesla update firmware and even change microphone. Still horrible. I noticed people on this forum who have reported this issue reported having pebble watch as I do. I then deleted the pebble app and unpaired the pebble from my phone and for two days and 6 calls no issues. Too early for me to say it is solved, but it is looking like there is a conflict with pebble/pebble app/iphone IOS and Tesla. Those of you still having a problem and have a pebble try to see if this solves the problem. Thanks.

Didn't resolve the issue for me. I turned off my Pebble, and forgot the device from my iPhone. Then the normal process happens:

1. Place a call
2. After 45-75 seconds (it varies), it starts to break up
3. I switch the call back to the phone
4. Call continues normally for ~30 seconds. I see the phone vanish from the center screen, and then reappear
5. Car steals call back
6. Return to 2.

I was parked this time around, but it's a lot of super-safe fun if this is all happening when driving, so now I never take the call via the car connection. It's still legal to drive without handsfree in Tx (it shouldn't be), but I personally hate doing it, and it looks really stupid in a car that's a technological marvel in every other way. I can recreate the problem with any of the phones in the house (iPhones 4 and 5), but the SC has never been able to recreate it :-/

Just noticed the problem today. My wife called me when I was driving on the freeway, and the phone (Nokia 920) rang in my pocket instead of ringing through the cars' speakers. I could not take the call from the steering wheel buttons. I pressed the phone icon to display the status on the touchscreen, and it said "Bluetooth error, no phone connected, need servicing." Once home, I looked at the phone status, and it showed the Tesla-S as "paired," but not connected. I could connect manually, but then the touchscreen will still mention an error.

Puzzled.

Will contact the Tesla service.

I'm having the same issue with my Model S. They have done reboots and checked it over twice. i too have a pebble but haven't used it and still have the same issues. My car is going back in on the 11th to have them see what they can do. If anyone does find a reliable cure to this please post!!