Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden brake lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today while driving , it happened twice, when the brake suddenly locked .
It was raining and wet, was driving at around 30 km and slowing down to stop , i applied very light brakes and all of the sudden the car locks and the radio stopped for about 1sec. But the car returned normal right away. Another time was when i was going up hill and needed to stop, applied very light brake and suddenly the car locked but this time I didn’t noticed the radio stop. It almost feels like the traction control is kicking in but at the speed i was driving is hard to believe the car is skipping.
Has anyone experienced something like this?

Could this be you are mistakenly seeing ABS pulsating as a lock up or skipping. How is the tread on your tires? If it's wet and it's the ABS kicking in. It's possibly the tires are very low on tread or bald. If it's not that, make a service appointment.

So today while driving , it happened twice, when the brake suddenly locked .
It was raining and wet, was driving at around 30 km and slowing down to stop , i applied very light brakes and all of the sudden the car locks and the radio stopped for about 1sec. But the car returned normal right away. Another time was when i was going up hill and needed to stop, applied very light brake and suddenly the car locked but this time I didn’t noticed the radio stop. It almost feels like the traction control is kicking in but at the speed i was driving is hard to believe the car is skipping.
Has anyone experienced something like this?
Miles on current tires? Condition of tires?

On one occasion in one of our Model 3s I've had something like this happen, but at very low speed it crawling traffic. I was probably doing around 5 mph and without any warning the car just slammed on the brakes so violently I thought I'd hit something in the road I hadn't seen.
I've experienced nothing like it before or since. I've experienced AEB a few times at higher speeds (>20mph) but this felt more aggressive and violent.
Can't explain it and I just put it down to a one-off random event which I hope doesn't happen again.

The car is brand new with less than 1000 km, tires well inflated. It was pretty sudden and abrupt that I believe no car should hv behave like that at the speed i was driving.

You didnt answer the question about spacers I asked.

If you have done something to the stock wheel setup, then have issues with sensors etc, before you make a service appointment you likely should address that. If you dont, dont be surprised if they tell you "we are not touching anything around tires / wheels as you messed with it".

Reactions: Operator64
You didnt answer the question about spacers I asked.

If you have done something to the stock wheel setup, then have issues with sensors etc, before you make a service appointment you likely should address that. If you dont, dont be surprised if they tell you "we are not touching anything around tires / wheels as you messed with it".
No spacers