Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden braking occurring during autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me today (28.5) - in the middle of rush hour traffic, at 70 MPH with the car behind following too close, AP decided to do emergency braking, for no apparent reason. Fortunately the driver behind was able to react quickly enough to also emergency brake, before I could override AP and accelerate back to the speed of the surrounding vehicles.

In addition to happening multiple times driving by myself, this happened to me one time while going 80 on a straight highway and 'showing off' autopilot to sister and brother in law with 3 kids sleeping in the car coming back from the beach. Car jammed on the brakes in the middle of the freeway, woke the kids up, car behind nearly rear ended us. Everybody was like 'what the F' this self driving car sucks.

This and many other problems with AP including hard/late braking, going wide on curves, crappy summon, sudden braking when cars merge in front, made me realize there is a long way to go for ap and fsd.

I watch what the car 'thinks' it sees, on the dash in front of me. Many times it has no clue what is going on.

The fact that it can autosteer like a dummy on I-15 to vegas in a straight line is definitely NOT worth 5k. (to me).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Inside
We've made several road trips recently with AP in our new X 100D, and were able to use AutoPilot for most of the driving. It is an overall positive to use - especially in traffic, keeping the car in lane on straight & curved roads while maintaining speed & spacing behind the vehicle ahead.

The problem with driver assist software that isn't fully operational is the risk that because the software appears to be working most of the time, when the software makes a mistake, driver response time may be longer because the driver isn't fully monitoring operation - and "hands on wheel" makes no guarantee the driver is actually watching the driving - just keeping their hands on the steering wheel and periodically providing some pressure to turn off the nag...

I am surprised no one is freaking out about this?!? I understand the multitude of fanboyz out there, but one time is too many if someone is behind you when this happens. Tesla needs to get Mobileye back on board and finish Autopilot the way it was intended, using all of the cameras, not 3 or 4? As an FYI, my 2015 with AP1( MobileEye) has never phantom braked for me. I had a 2018 loaner and I had it happen, pretty terrifying:eek:. I trust my autopilot currently, but I might not ever use it on a new tesla until this is fixed...

I have had a handful of instances of sudden braking during autopilot driving on highways (not during stop and go traffic like another thread had mentioned) where there clearly is uncongested traffic. My wife always yells at me when this happens and I take over the car immediately at this point. Is this something that others have seen or do I need to take this into the shop? Thx

Three options.

1. Don't use AP.
2. Get a new car.
3. Get a new wife.

• Funny
Reactions: Ahzuz and israndy
I am surprised no one is freaking out about this?!? I understand the multitude of fanboyz out there, but one time is too many if someone is behind you when this happens. Tesla needs to get Mobileye back on board and finish Autopilot the way it was intended, using all of the cameras, not 3 or 4? As an FYI, my 2015 with AP1( MobileEye) has never phantom braked for me. I had a 2018 loaner and I had it happen, pretty terrifying:eek:. I trust my autopilot currently, but I might not ever use it on a new tesla until this is fixed...

My AP1 car keeps phantom braking like crazy the past 2-3 weeks. It's super annoying for me.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
There's AP1 vs AP2.x (e.g. vision-initiated phantom braking), and AP1/2 vs AP2.5 (conti vs bosch radar initiated phantom braking).

There's no magic silver bullet other than Tesla periodically disabling radar braking for everybody and then having one or two people impaled by dividers or firetrucks….

It takes all of a split second to tap the gas and override phantom braking. Yes it's uncomfortable and annoying, but to call it a safety issue is a huge stretch.

There's AP1 vs AP2.x (e.g. vision-initiated phantom braking), and AP1/2 vs AP2.5 (conti vs bosch radar initiated phantom braking).

There's no magic silver bullet other than Tesla periodically disabling radar braking for everybody and then having one or two people impaled by dividers or firetrucks….

It takes all of a split second to tap the gas and override phantom braking. Yes it's uncomfortable and annoying, but to call it a safety issue is a huge stretch.
...And it takes a split second for someone tailgating your car at highway speeds to rear-end you if your car slams the brakes and you need that split second to hit the accelerator. ;)

So I would suggest this is not a far-fetched danger. Not with the few reports in this thread only of close-calls we've had the past few days during this trial.

And this is not accounting the chain reaction caused by the first car who slams the brakes. If a few cars are following closely behind, the 3rd or 4th car behind is almost 100% assured of slamming into the preceding car. Tell me that type of situation never happens. Except that when it does indeed happen, in some jurisdictions it is a shared responsibility: and it includes the first car who slammed the brakes if it wasn't justified.

Thank you phantom braking.

Last edited:
I have it happen all the time on I-66. Yes I get the E brake as I enter the tunnel into Roslynn with the Heavy shadow.

Everyone has all the time in the world to look at their IC dash when this happens. As much as I run on I- 66 I look at the IC and keep my foot on the gas because it is so predictable. This is what I have been seeing.

I have it happen when I'm just about at westbound I-66/ 495 interchange. No bridge, but there is an exit ramp. Look at the speed limit on the IC and it has dropped down to the exit ramp speed and holds you to it no going over to exceed it, slamming on the brakes. I have also seen where the adjacent road is right next to 66 and it drops to that speed limit not the I-66 speed limit. Various other spots on I-66 it does the same.

So I think it is sloppy programing or the AP is looking at the speed limit on the road going over it or under it, coupled with the AP restrictions to hold the speed limit or 5 over causes the car to slam on the brakes. I just dont think Goggle maps is this sloppy on reporting speed limits. I know my Garmin or Waze doesn't mess up the speed. Tesla speed limits are off quite a bit, especially in congested areas.

I would hit the push to report but have forgotten the command. I could report them all day just for I-66.

I keep my foot real close to the gas pedal just to be sure I don't get rear ended.

Country roads are good at the proper speeds.

When I went to Penn Yan NY it has the wrong speed limit entering town and I could have gotten a ticket.

Otherwise AP has been great, I use it and will continue to use it all the time.

Happened to me on 9-17-18 at about 12:45pm. I was on route 295 south headed to Williamsburg at the Creighton road exit. It was raining and I was in the third of four lanes at about 72 mph on AP. No overpath in sight. Had an 18 wheeler baring down on me with traffic in lane two. Suddenly the car started to break and all I could see were the lights of the trunk filling my rear view mirror. Hit the accelerator and the car responded back to about 75mph. The trucker changed to the fourth lane (don't know why he did not pass me in the fourth lane earlier) and gave me a loud blast on the horn before he cut me off; thinking that I had intentionally braked because he was tailgating me. I thought "Cutie" (the car) was trying to kill us.

Called Tesla and reported the incident within that hour.

Model S75
Sept, 2017

I just posted this over on the 2018.34.1 thread:

The longer you have your car the more likely it is you will experience this. I get them all the time, I just click the button and say "Bug Report, unexpected emergency stop for no obstacle."

Then I move on with my life. Maybe someday these won't happen, but I fear they don't want people hitting Fire Engines anymore so perhaps they are at a point where we have to have some of this in our day. I was thinking perhaps the best strategy wouldn't be to slam on the brakes, just brake a bit and sound the alarm, so if there IS something I can go around, but in the meantime, I am not FREAKIN' out the guy driving behind me.

Even those who are distracted or dozing while on Auto Pilot will respond to brakes and alarms

-Randy

I've had this happen when someone blows by me at high speed and they drift over in their lane without even crossing the line. Autopilot probably thinks they're going to veer over or something.

Also had it happen when people are tailgating me. Autopilot hates tailgaters I guess and wants them to back off.