Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Deceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S:
Drove 60 highway miles this morning with no problem. Got off the ramp and suddenly when I took my foot from the acceleration pedal to brake the car jerked to a complete slow down ... no coasting. Did this for a mile or so then worked fine. Any idea?

It's like engine braking in an ordinary car but stronger and you recoup energy into the battery for you to use later.

But why would this happen all of a sudden? I was highway driving and taking my foot off the pedal to the brake and car operated find. Then once off the exit when I removed my foot from the accelerator, the car jerked almost to a complete stop before I could apply the brake to slow down. Did this for several miles until I got home. This never happened before (car was purchased in March, 2018).

If your car was cold when you first left, regent will be limited. Once the battery is warmed up, it will be much more noticeable. I know when I first got my S in the fall, I got used to regen (short for regenerative braking) quickly and was loving it. Shortly after, winter came and I was a little startled to lift my foot and NOT feel it slowing when first leaving for the day, haha.

If this is the case in your situation, you can also "pre-condition" the car on cold days by turning the heat on from the app on your phone 15-20mins before you leave. If it's cold enough, it'll automatically preheat the battery as well as the cabin. My wife LOVES getting into an already warm car during the winter, too!