Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden decrease in displayed range M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a recent software update on my 2019 Model 3 Performance (30,500 miles) my displayed range after a 90% charge dropped abruptly from 255 miles to 244 miles. My driving and charging habits have not changed. I read something in the software release notes about this latest release having a new, and presumably more accurate method for calculating range from charge level. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix, or is this new range the “real” range?

It only dropped in California. I've got 16.3 and mine is same as it's been for the last 3 ½ yrs.
IMG_4870.jpeg

Upvote 0
thats normal. your BMS just decreased your available battery capacity. it usually happens in chunks.
There is no fix for this. the battery will just naturally degrade (which will happen in chunks as the BMS needs a few voltage readings to make that calculation. Thats what the 4.5% buffer is for)

Upvote 0
Really wouldn't worry much about what the car says for range. If you are noticing loss of range in actual driving, then look at it closer. My car 2018 LR model 3 with 70k miles only full charges to "262 miles" which would equate to 16% degradation. But just last week I used 68.5kwh on a single drive (74kwh battery pack) and wasn't pulling into the charger with 0 suggesting much less degradation. I'm finding the increase of new superchargers, and 250kw chargers, is shortening my road trip travel times at a greater pace than the battery is degrading.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
Really wouldn't worry much about what the car says for range. If you are noticing loss of range in actual driving, then look at it closer. My car 2018 LR model 3 with 70k miles only full charges to "262 miles" which would equate to 16% degradation. But just last week I used 68.5kwh on a single drive (74kwh battery pack) and wasn't pulling into the charger with 0 suggesting much less degradation. I'm finding the increase of new superchargers, and 250kw chargers, is shortening my road trip travel times at a greater pace than the battery is degrading.
Couple month old post - but do you have the screen capture for this? Seems hard to believe. I’d expect max you could draw above 0% would be 63kWh or so. Not 68.5kWh. Never seen such a huge discrepancy.

Upvote 0
Set it to % and ignore range its all just an estimate. Could be more could be less depending on a bunch of factors that will cause it to fluctuate.

This isn’t anymore accurate/inaccurate than the miles to empty we got from our ICE cars.

Perfect example of when I used to drive my Prius C with a 8.5gal tank to LA and would make it on fumes going 80mph or use half a tank drafting a semi at 65 the whole way.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
Set it to % and ignore range its all just an estimate. Could be more could be less depending on a bunch of factors that will cause it to fluctuate.

This isn’t anymore accurate/inaccurate than the miles to empty we got from our ICE cars.

Perfect example of when I used to drive my Prius C with a 8.5gal tank to LA and would make it on fumes going 80mph or use half a tank drafting a semi at 65 the whole way.

range is very important when you use up the entire battery capacity. If you car has 15% degradation you have 15% less range. It is what it is.
370-420km is the sweetspot where youll struggle to make it if you just have it set to %.

Having it set to range is not estimate range (thats in the tripmeter ,same as any ice car), rated range is a unit of energy not distance.

Upvote 0
We still don’t know if OP is experiencing early degradation or it’s just the car adjusting estimated range based on driving. Nobody is disagreeing that range loss is not good. Like I said earlier it’s like having your gas tank shrink overtime.

In my case I just assume i have 300mi vs 358 advertised and I plan based on that. Even though I know I can go further by doing the speed limit or maybe even go below. I can follow a truck if I really need to make it stretch. Just like I would in an ICE car.

Range is why I went with LR on Aeros and not the P.

Reactions: Kimmi
Upvote 0