Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden decreased max speed limit on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some issues with my 1 month old Model 3. When I’m driving on the highway the max speed set on regular cruise control suddenly drops from 110km/h to 40km/h! Often the registered speed limit is lower than the actual speed limit, for example 80km/h on the screen instead of the real speed limit at 110km/h. This has happened every time I drive the same highway and it’s really dangerous with a risk of being rear ended by the car behind me.

Does anyone have any information about what’s causing this and what I can do to fix it?

I have some issues with my 1 month old Model 3. When I’m driving on the highway the max speed set on regular cruise control suddenly drops from 110km/h to 40km/h...

Your car knows the street speed limit by 2 ways:

1) Vision. It can read the road sign.

But once it finished reading the last sign and before it will read the next one, there might be:

2) GPS coded speed data. Speeds that are determined by locations in between road signs. Those data might be obsolete or wrong. In your case, your car associates that location as 40km/hr.

Solutions:

Report the error to Tesla so they can import a correct speed data.

Get you foot ready to floor the pedal.

Don't use the features until it's fixed.

Your car knows the street speed limit by 2 ways:

1) Vision. It can read the road sign.

But once it finished reading the last sign and before it will read the next one, there might be:

2) GPS coded speed data. Speeds that are determined by locations in between road signs. Those data might be obsolete or wrong. In your case, your car associates that location as 40km/hr.

Solutions:

Report the error to Tesla so they can import a correct speed data.

Get you foot ready to floor the pedal.

Don't use the features until it's fixed.
I have encountered many places in Norway where the GPS code speed is not correct. So how do we report that to Tesla? Do they have a website or email address especially for this?

I have encountered many places in Norway where the GPS code speed is not correct. So how do we report that to Tesla? Do they have a website or email address especially for this?
Elon Musk is a Free Speech absolutist so there used to be an easy way to get in touch with Tesla: Phone, e-mail, website chat, "Escalation to Upper Management" button... but now, it's very difficult to find a way (at least in the USA).

I have been driving around in Norway now with a 2021 m3 (the one with radar) and I'm having the same problems with random speeds popping up and interfering with the autopilot. This problem is huge in Norway, but negligible in most other places I have been driving this summer (Spain, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden).

I suspect the reason is sloppy coding from the Norwegian road authorities and not something Tesla can do much about other than improving how it reads road signs.