Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden drop in Wh/mile with new Model S 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, all. I'm a first time poster (but long time lurker) and a new Model S owner as of 2 weeks ago!

I have been tracking my energy usage and was getting between 300-350 Wh/mile in the city. I have a 20-25 minute commute and have only put about 350 miles on the car so far (most of which was driving it home from Ohio after pickup).

Just today my Wh/mile (over the past 30 miles as listed in the instrument cluster) started to drop from about 330 and is currently down to about 280. Nothing about my driving habits, the climate, or road conditions has really changed. Is this normal or a known phenomenon? Is the car just re-calibrating now that I've had it for a while?

Your car is so new, it's just getting to know your battery. Give it a few charge cycles before you call anything a pattern.

Use the energy graph app on the center console to see the effects of cold weather chill on the battery causing a battery warming cycle. The orange consumption will spike and stay up at a new high plateau ... this will start happening in Michigan soon.

Hello, all. I'm a first time poster (but long time lurker) and a new Model S owner as of 2 weeks ago!

I have been tracking my energy usage and was getting between 300-350 Wh/mile in the city. I have a 20-25 minute commute and have only put about 350 miles on the car so far (most of which was driving it home from Ohio after pickup).

Just today my Wh/mile (over the past 30 miles as listed in the instrument cluster) started to drop from about 330 and is currently down to about 280. Nothing about my driving habits, the climate, or road conditions has really changed. Is this normal or a known phenomenon? Is the car just re-calibrating now that I've had it for a while?

Congratulations on the new car and welcome to TMC!

Not to nitpick, but either your car isn't new or it's not an S85D (looking at the thread title). The S85D hasn't been produced since late 2015 or so. S75D maybe?

I agree with what some people upthread posted...it'll take awhile to figure out what's "normal" for your car. It might be better for you to use one of your trip meters to track the lifetime power usage for the car...that might be a more useful/reliable indication than the average over the last 30 miles.

Bruce.