Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden gear change to Park when backing up - Solved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately a dear friend of ours left her car and to get something out of the trunk, the car wasn't in Park. When she opened the trunk the car moved backwards and crushed her against another car. She didn't survive. I thought at the time: had she been in a Tesla it would have automatically gone into park and saved her life. If you unbuckle the driver's seat belt while in Auto Pilot, the Tesla will release speed control and immediately decelerate. Lane departure warning, collision avoidance, speed limiting for kids driving and a 5-Star safety rating are all good reasons to own a Tesla. Automatic park, when the driver exits the seat is a Great Safety Feature. I wish my friend had that in her ICE vehicle.
That is a feature making its way to all ICE vehicles now as well, which is why literally every single car these days seems to have come up with its own unique shifter when they used to all be almost the same. I believe that the number of that type of accident went way up as we switched from keys to keyfobs (which from my memory, you couldn't pull your key out of your car without putting the vehicle in park/neutral first (or typically they also had a slot to override if you intend to leave it in gear with automatic transmissions). The push to start/keyfob system eliminated the old safety feature and changed the old habits significantly resulting in lots of similar accidents.

Bad Tech: Awful Shifters Will Continue Until They're Made Great Again

I have an older neighbor, and after getting a new ICE vehicle with a fob instead of a traditional key, they leave it running in their driveway ALL the time. I've told them like 15 times but they keep doing it. I'll have to check if there vehicle does automatically shift to park when you press the on/off button and see if I can teach them to use that button instead of park maybe? I do love that the Tesla has auto on/off and auto lock, that would really help a lot of people.