Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden high energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve owned a Model 3 for several years and a Plaid for several months. I live in an area with cold winters and moderately hot summers. I understand how energy usage can vary based on speed, temperature, headwinds, etc.

But just yesterday while staying at a hotel it seemed that I was losing far too much of my battery charge overnight with sentry mode on. Then when I took a 10 mile drive the next day not going above 65 mph with the weather being 70F and not stomping on the accelerator, my energy usage was in the 700s (lifetime is low 300). I pulled into a supercharger and while charging I did the 2 steering wheel button reboot. Then I drove back along the same route and the energy usage was in the more normal high 200 range.

Has anyone else had a sudden inexplicable high energy usage like this before? Was it a one time glitch or something that happened periodically?

I’ve owned a Model 3 for several years and a Plaid for several months. I live in an area with cold winters and moderately hot summers. I understand how energy usage can vary based on speed, temperature, headwinds, etc.

But just yesterday while staying at a hotel it seemed that I was losing far too much of my battery charge overnight with sentry mode on. Then when I took a 10 mile drive the next day not going above 65 mph with the weather being 70F and not stomping on the accelerator, my energy usage was in the 700s (lifetime is low 300). I pulled into a supercharger and while charging I did the 2 steering wheel button reboot. Then I drove back along the same route and the energy usage was in the more normal high 200 range.

Has anyone else had a sudden inexplicable high energy usage like this before? Was it a one time glitch or something that happened periodically?
Where you routed to the SuperCharger? Was it preconditioning for charge?

It was. I guess that’s one thing I hadn’t been paying enough attention to. But 700s to precondition sounds rough. But if that’s the price to pay for optimal charging what’re you gonna do?
That’s why I don’t use Supercharger Precondition (or any precondition). Even when my car had free super charging. I prefer battery not charge at blazing speed anyway. Your battery was probably really cold (what was the overnight temps?), you went straight to the SuperCharger not to far away so Precondition was max and you maybe had some heat going initially.

Even if it’s 70 F here during the day the nights can be in the low 40’s and the ground is still frozen. It’s the battery temp that matters not the current air temp.

That’s why on the way back you were fine.