Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden improvements in speed zone data and navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
model s 75d Nov 2016. Software 2019.12.1.1. Nav data Na-180906-1605. I got the software update about a week ago and initially speed zone info on my street was as usual incorrect.
Today it was very spot on, including school zone signs.
I think this also improved navigation. Usually on my way home it wants to go down a section of road with reduced speed. Today it took a route that I take due to high speeds.

Anyone else notice an improvement recently?

I noticed degradation with 2019.12.1.2, 2018 75D, was driving home from work on autopilot on freeway, had speed set to 70 and autopilot dropped speed to 50 once and 40 another time on me in 15 minute span, I think it might’ve mistakenly thought I was on surface street instead of freeway.

On the positive side, the uber-slow start time seems fixed with this update.

Drove yesterday and still experienced unnecessary slow downs. My route might be a worst-case scenario - driving on two highways with recent construction (one is still under construction), where the speed limit and map data probably don't reflect the current roads.

Also keep encountering an intersection that's been closed for several months downtown, and the nav software insists on trying to drive through the closed intersection.

Using any stored data, unless it is updated in real-time and completely up-to-date, isn't acceptable in the long term.

Musk is right - using HD maps will never work, because they don't capture the current road information. The same is true with Tesla's reliance on a speed limit database and onboard & cloud navigation maps - that information can't be relied upon to control driving of the vehicle. The onboard sensors and software must be able to read the current road conditions - and adapt like a human would when the conditions are different than the stored data.

Reactions: rohan_aus
Drove yesterday and still experienced unnecessary slow downs. My route might be a worst-case scenario - driving on two highways with recent construction (one is still under construction), where the speed limit and map data probably don't reflect the current roads.

Also keep encountering an intersection that's been closed for several months downtown, and the nav software insists on trying to drive through the closed intersection.

Using any stored data, unless it is updated in real-time and completely up-to-date, isn't acceptable in the long term.

Musk is right - using HD maps will never work, because they don't capture the current road information. The same is true with Tesla's reliance on a speed limit database and onboard & cloud navigation maps - that information can't be relied upon to control driving of the vehicle. The onboard sensors and software must be able to read the current road conditions - and adapt like a human would when the conditions are different than the stored data.
I have the same issue on a small portion of road near Milwauke Wisconsin. I thought it was phantom breaking but I noticed the TACC speed was changing. If I tapped the go pedal the car would go back to previous speed.

I’ll try that tomorrow and see if it’s better.

Any thoughts on what changed? Did they get updated speeds fromTomtom? I am guessing that if they turned on speed sign recognition that would get a headline or at least a release note.

Or simply from Google Maps! :)

They need to conserve computing resource because relying on vision NNs to learn and mimic other sensors like radar, lidar, supersonic, rain sensor, and even human inputs means the chase of compute power will never end or the resulting autonomy can never be better than average human drivers.

I thought speed zone data was part of the navigation package, not the system software. Maybe the people who are seeing changes also got a navigation package update. Which version number is it showing?
For me Nav data Na-180906-1605. When I first got the firmware update roads around me were still off and then suddenly they were spot on. Have not been able to track down what changed but I like it.

I drove 41 N near the Zoo interchange. It under went major changes last year. I did not see any speed sign changes but my car was showing different speed limits and reacting still. So it is better but not perfect. NOA lane merges are really good.

The new Na-180906-1605 map data had a lot of new (and correct) speed limits for us. We had a lot of local roads, including a private one, without speed limit data with the old map data. Now everything seems to have the right limit, even one that changes speed twice in about two blocks. Works much better for us.