Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden increase in power consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 90D new in February of this year has just completed 12,000 miles. My average power consumption over this distance is 285Whr/m. On my daily run to work and back a distance of 26 miles my average consumption has been around 260Whr/ m.

Suddenly this has now jumped to 340Whr/m!

There are some changed circumstances. I have 3 tyres at 41psi and one at 45 psi (to be balanced out tomorrow). The temperature has fallen from around 60F to 50F, I now have V8 software.....

What does the power consumption display actually reflect? Is it tractive power consumption only or does it also include the HVAC load too.

Cold weather is always meant to reduce battery performance. Is this automatically calculated in the percentage battery/miles display or is the load power display upped to compensate?

Can anyone answer any of my questions or give me peace of mind that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with my 'Tessie'.

My 90D new in February of this year has just completed 12,000 miles. My average power consumption over this distance is 285Whr/m. On my daily run to work and back a distance of 26 miles my average consumption has been around 260Whr/ m.

There are some changed circumstances. I have 3 tyres at 41psi and one at 45 psi (to be balanced out tomorrow). The temperature has fallen from around 60F to 50F, I now have V8 software.....

What does the power consumption display actually reflect? Is it tractive power consumption only or does it also include the HVAC load too.

Cold weather is always meant to reduce battery performance. Is this automatically calculated in the percentage battery/miles display or is the load power display upped to compensate?

Can anyone answer any of my questions or give me peace of mind that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with my 'Tessie'.

I haven't noticed any power consumption increase after v8.0, but I do know that tire PSI and cooler temps can definitely have a negative effect. Wind and rain can also contribute. There are plenty of factors and I wouldn't be concerned at all - I think Tessie is just fine! Good luck!

On a recent trip I noticed the front defogger had a much more significant impact than I had expected. Made sense in hindsight but I was initially focused on AC and heat usage.

I was told that on V8 if one increase the fan speed above 8 it will turn off range mode to allow for more heat or AC to be deliver to the cabin. a 10 deg decrease in temp will require a lot more heat and that will increase substatially the load and the cunsumption.

As it gets cooler, the cabin heater sucks up a lot of juice. Turn off the heat ( turn off a/c and set temp to LO) and see if that makes a difference. You also have to heat the battery as well... another power drain. You can't turn that one off.
I wish that there was a simple on/off for cabin heat like there is for a/c.