Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden jerk towards vehicle being passed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an AP1 car (2015 85D), and today when heading home on I-95, I'm casually in the middle lane using autopilot with minimal traffic. As we're in the middle lane, slower traffic fades by on the right as normal no big deal.. until I casually drive by a truck towing a camper trailer. The trailer looked to be decently long, 28ft+ or so, and was towed by a Ford F250. As I pass by the trailer (but get to the hitch/gap between the trailer and truck) AP suddenly and VERY aggressively jerked my car TOWARDS the truck! I had my hand at 6 firmly, and nothing came of it but it sure spooked my wife and I. No vehicles were in the left lane, and it was just me and the truck+trailer to my right for about a quarter mile ahead or behind.

To bullet events:
  • Cruising @75 with AP in middle lane on I-95
  • No cars in left lane for a ways fore/aft
  • Passing F250 + camping trailer (maybe 5+ mph passing speed, if that) on my right
  • Car suddenly and aggressively tried to merge INTO the lane with the trailer as I come to the hitch (just as the trailer disappeared from the Binnacle)
This was my first ever incident where AP just performed an action that I didn't see coming, or beat me to. I was (and am still) very surprised. I couldn't explain it to myself or my wife why the car did that. Freaked me out a bit.. going to lay of AP a while. Anyone else experience anything like this lately? Car is running 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

• Love
Reactions: Azathoth
This unfortunately sounds like the phenomenon we refer to as “truck lust”. True truck lust.... not to be confused with just people being uncomfortable driving alongside semi trailers without a comically big gap.

It seems like AP1 (perhaps EyeQ3) is susceptible to this, especially when driving alongside long rectangular things like trailers, made worse by when they run over or obscure the lane marker :(

FWIW this used to be worse in AP1 in the 7.x versions. They’ve managed to reduce it by quite a bit but it’s still not 100% gone.