Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden loss of range - Battery temps higher than expected

2016 MX P90D - Around 102k (about 16k on my HV pack and front drive motor)

Had it in to the local SC last week and they changed the front lower control arms as well as brakes and rotors up front.

Shortly after, I noticed that it feels a bit more sluggish than usual off the line, and my average Wh/Mi numbers are much higher than normal for summer. Down the highway, I typically run around 360 wh/mi at normal cruising speeds. I'm currently using 450+ wh/mi. Ambient temps on Saturday when I first noticed this were 81F, so not terribly hot.

Contacted roadside while driving, and they noted "everything is within normal operation", but they did tell me my pack temps were 105F, and should be around 70F. They logged the diagnostics in my file, which of course, as owners we don't get to see. Got to my destination, and as I was pulling in, a warning popped up: DIS_w126. I pulled in to my stop, left it for a couple of minutes, then went back to move to a different parking spot, and the error was gone. It has not popped up since.

My consumption remained high on my drive home - roughly 450wh/mi over the 80mi drive.

Opened a service appointment, and their initial estimate is suggesting an A/C recover and recharge.

Car supercharges just fine, which would be a bigger indicator of a thermal management issue.

Any other ideas on what I might push for them to check before I sign-off on the A/C work, which seems somewhat unlikely the be the culprit, unless the HVAC is at play in managing coolant temps?

AC is definitely part of the system that cools the battery. Supercharging performance might degrade if you navigate to supercharger (heating the battery) and then charge for a long while, starting from a very low SOC, in a hot climate. I have a friend whose AC is dead and even charging at home makes the fans run like crazy. I think supercharging doesn'T work on his car, or very slow...

Reactions: basilray
AC is definitely part of the system that cools the battery. Supercharging performance might degrade if you navigate to supercharger (heating the battery) and then charge for a long while, starting from a very low SOC, in a hot climate. I have a friend whose AC is dead and even charging at home makes the fans run like crazy. I think supercharging doesn'T work on his car, or very slow...
SC aid everything was in "normal.operational range" despite running 456wh/MI over the last 500mi. They noted I am "slightly above average consumption".

I had them do the AC recover/recharge anyway, as it wasn't going to hurt and it's 6yrs old with 102k.

First 6mi from the SC to a supercharger and I averaged 510wh/mi driving 60mph in 87F temps.

Ideas? There is no way this is "slightly above average".

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC