TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Dutchmeeuw, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Dutchmeeuw

Dutchmeeuw Member

Lost 20km of max charging within 2 weeks on my S85D. At the 12th of May I was able to charge to 399km at 100% charge. 2 days ago the max charge has dropped to 379km all of a sudden. Temperatures at both charge times were around 18 degrees Celsius.

Called Tesla and they’re telling me the car logs show battery degradation and saying this is “normal”. Has anyone on this forum ever had such a steep loss of max range in such a short period? 5% loss of the max capacity in 2 weeks seems a bit much...
    Schermafbeelding 2019-06-03 om 16.27.09.png

• Informative x 3
  2. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

I recommend you continue to monitor this over the next few weeks and see if the degradation gets worse. Your car appears to have close to 2% degradation, which is in line with what others are seeing (minimal to none).

I've seen a few cases here where Tesla replaced the battery when the degradation was severe. I know that they have an improved battery version now that is supposed to fix those cases.

3. Dutchmeeuw

Dutchmeeuw Member

Thanks for the advise, the initial rating of this car was 270 miles or 435 kilometer. So the loss is much more then 2%. If the loss would be gradual it would concern me less, but a sudden loss of 5% of max range in 2 weeks is what bugs me.

I was hoping that someone had seen this before.

4. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

A few people have reported sudden changes in rated range after updating to the 2019.16.x series firmware. Might be that.

Keep an eye on it, particularly if you see continued reduction in a short period. If it keeps degrading eventually you'll get Tesla's attention.

5. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Sorry for the miscalculation. Yes you're right as you have about a 13% range loss right now (56 km / 435 km =~ 13%). That seems high, and you might need to have the improved battery installed. For now as the other member suggested, I would monitor it closely.

Also, yes I did see at least one other case here where there was a sudden decrease in range, requiring battery replacement. I believe that case was more severe though (e.g. greater than a 30% loss).

Do you charge to 100% frequently? 80 - 90% is better for the battery, and 100% infrequently such as once a year. 100% should balance the battery, but drive your car immediately afterward.

You could also send a message to [email protected] about the issue and let them know specifically that you have a 13% range loss. They can do diagnostics remotely.

Please keep us posted.

6. iqless

iqless Member

I think the 85D's generally have very reliable batteries. My 85D had ~265 miles on it after 60,000 miles. And I exclusively supercharged it for the last 20,000.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Droschke

Droschke Member

#7 Droschke, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    After 2019.16.x, I've a drop of 7.5%.

My car has 43K miles and is 4 years old. My cooling pump also ran unusually in two different days and for very long hours. Since then I've noticed the drop. I think the pump running for up to 10 and then 5 hours straight while the car was parked was the result of some battery calibration routine that Tesla was executing on my HVB which has caused the new and much lower RM to be calculated.

On Edit: And here is the weird part, I always showing about 264-265 miles (265 was when the car was new) until these recent software updates. Now the 100% charge looks like about 245. A hefty 20 miles loss in few weeks!!!

• Informative x 1
  8. Dutchmeeuw

Dutchmeeuw Member

Today I’m down to 371 kilometers on a full charge. Tesla recommended discharging and charging it to full once more. So now I lost 28 km of full range within 3 weeks....

• Informative x 2
  9. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

That sucks, but keep us posted on how it goes.

10. Droschke

Droschke Member

You are catching up with me (mu loss is 20 miles).

Did Tesla say if your loss was normal?

Very interested to see the results of your discharge/charge attempts. Please keep us posted.

11. Dutchmeeuw

Dutchmeeuw Member

So the thing is that FW 2019.16.2 updated the BMS firmware to “protect” and “prolong” the battery life. A consequence from this is that some older/pre-facelift cars are getting a real hit in range from this update. Some owners are luckier then others. I seem to be at the far end of the spectrum with a loss of 28 kilometers.

Long story short, Tesla wants the car in for service for a battery capacity test. Keep you posted.

• Informative x 2
  12. trayloader

trayloader Member

We are seeing the same behaviour here in Germany. Only the pre-FL (old chemistry) seem affected.
    cell volatge seems to be limited to 4.11V from before 4.2, and the cruves all look similar like this one:.
    Something smells fishy after the BMS update...

What made me wonder was the super naggin persistence of the update pop up reminder, which was almost impossible to click off. Totally contrary to normal updates.

degradation.jpg

• Informative x 2
  13. Droschke

Droschke Member

Is this a confirmation from Tesla?

14. trayloader

trayloader Member

weaseling their way out IMHO

15. Droschke

Droschke Member

You have a data point right below 365 on the vertical axis. Was that charge before 2019.16.x? If so, your loss is very close to mine. My loss is about 20 miles.

16. Dutchmeeuw

Dutchmeeuw Member

I would happily trade with you.:) Since yesterday I’m down to 365 kilometers at a 100% charge. I now lost 35 kilometers in 3 weeks... Waiting for my appointment at Tesla...

17. Droschke

Droschke Member

Well, I might be in the same boat with you only that I've not charged to 100%. Please definitely post here and share what Tesla, at least in your case, says. I'm afraid if this degradation is the intended result of 2016.12.x, they would defend it.

18. Juggernaut

Juggernaut New Member

Sorry for the interuption, (as you see i'm a newbee to that forum)
    out of a Excel sheet i stumbled somewhere over i was pointed to this thread.
    I'm prior to that sw change and have my battery degradation data very acurat and
    convenient stored inside my teslalogger. in parallel i'm using ScanMyTesla on
    every charging stop to have the interval cell temp before connecting to the charger.

degradation.JPG

Due to some discussions with tesla concerning speed of charge at CCS/type2 SuC stalls
    i would recommend to have better data situation on client side before starting a discussion
    with tesla in that specific topic.

• Helpful x 2
  19. Dave46

Dave46 Member

I have a similar situation to report.
    Since May 16, 2019 my P85D has lost 27 rated miles (43 Km). That is 11% in 28 days and 3604 miles. The rate of decline continues at a consistent pace. The previous 72000 miles before May 16 the rated range had dropped at most 12 miles in 715 days. The battery has powered 130,026 miles since April 2015.

The rapid decline started the day after I installed software 2019.16.1.1. Perhaps just a coincidence. Current software is version 2019.16.2.

I reported this sudden change to a Tesla tech in Denver on May 29 (down 12 miles) and June 10 (down 24 miles). Both times he replied that he did remote tests on the high voltage battery and said "the battery cells are experiencing some wear, which is normal and expected as the vehicle ages". SNAFU?

I expect the battery to slowly degrade with age and use as I experienced for the first 126400 miles. But this rapid decline is not normal. Now that I see others have similar experiences we need to dig further and escalate this within Tesla.

Comments?
    2015 P85D Battery Degradation .jpg

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  20. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

I’m seeing the same story on a 2014 P85DL.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1