Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been affected by the software update as well. I had less than 5% degradation on my P85 until they pushed the update. Now I only get 223 rated miles at 100% charge (only charged to 100% to test). My local SC said they are "limiting older cars to protect the battery". This is total BS. I now have to charge my car to a higher SoC in order to support my daily driving and can no longer consider the car for road trips (would add 1 more SC stop on a trip to Mammoth). I am not happy about this at all.

Welcome to the club. More and more owners are confirming the capacity cap. As many of us have predicted, there must be a lot more out there. Just that they have not either noticed the impact or not posting here.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and DJRas
I have been affected by the software update as well. I had less than 5% degradation on my P85 until they pushed the update. Now I only get 223 rated miles at 100% charge (only charged to 100% to test). My local SC said they are "limiting older cars to protect the battery". This is total BS. I now have to charge my car to a higher SoC in order to support my daily driving and can no longer consider the car for road trips (would add 1 more SC stop on a trip to Mammoth). I am not happy about this at all.

Do you supercharge or use chademo a lot?

Do you supercharge a lot?

Yes to make the long commute. Not anymore though.

Also, it's been reported here that some with lots of supercharging have not been impacted at all.

What is your total DC kwh vs AC in scan my tesla?

I can't tell you since I do not use any 3rd party app.

BTW, since you are interested in the DC vs. AC charging, even though it's a small sample, this might help you (columns I, J, K).

I perhaps didn’t make myself clear. I should have explained that I have been an owner for over 3 years, and driven over 50,000 miles including a number of international trips all across Europe so I feel I am very familiar with the fluctuations of consumption figures. Before batterygate, it was a pretty standard 1% per 2 miles, ie 10% for 20 miles. Obviously not exactly, for all the reasons you cite. But now, even though I understand completely that if my battery is now a 58kWh rather than a 70kWh my consumption figures are, in % terms, going to be higher, roughly 15% for 20 miles, it doesn’t seem to be a pretty standard consumption rate at all now and my point is the variation swings seem much more significant, making it very difficult to forecast if I have enough. As you say, on longer trips, the SatNav and Energy meter do a very good job and I do rely on them and have confidence in them. It’s the routine local 20-40 mile trips that never used to require planning, that are now causing the problems. I can’t find any logic to why the Consumption figures should vary by quite so much now. Perhaps I’m just seeing the magnified effects of the start of trips using proportionately higher rates than return trips. It doesn’t feel like it but it’s the only logical reason I can think of.
Ya, I misunderstood what you were saying based on usable %... I use the rated miles indicator. It seems with this new magic firmware meant to protect us from the threat they say does not exist, some short trips do consume more power than usual, but then the same trip consumes les the next day with the same conditions. I figured it was the battery test running (looks like it takes a couple days)… My vampire drain was excessive for 2 days this week and 2 last week... 12 miles vs the norm of 4.

Even with the new version, my 90% charge continues to be 232-235 miles (out of about 270) and I'll charge to 80-90% on a weekly basis. So I don't believe that it was solely the SW update, but something else - something else that is localized to the specific cars.

So there may be a percentage, and apparently a small percentage, of vehicles affected. What other issues do those vehicles have - that other vehicles using the same SW version do not?

Battery version? Launches? Drained to 1-2% and charged to 100% on a recurring basis?
We have been looking for a commonality, but can find none. It affects all revisions of the same battery. I think it may be a batch of bad cells, myself. I have never gone to 1-2% and RARELY charge to 100%. I normally maintain things between 20% and 80%.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and DJRas
Yes to make the long commute. Not anymore though.

Also, it's been reported here that some with lots of supercharging have not been impacted at all.

I can't tell you since I do not use any 3rd party app.

BTW, since you are interested in the DC vs. AC charging, even though it's a small sample, this might help you (columns I, J, K).

Based on this data, where most of the reported losses (other than a couple anomalies), and wk mentioning that if you supercharge a lot you should update to latest software to be on the safe side, is that it's related to high amounts of DC charging.

I know it's not the most accurate or scientific but it looks like anything over 50% DC charging was affected, that coupled with what wk said.

Based on this data, where most of the reported losses (other than a couple anomalies), and wk mentioning that if you supercharge a lot you should update to latest software to be on the safe side, is that it's related to high amounts of DC charging.

I know it's not the most accurate or scientific but it looks like anything over 50% DC charging was affected, that coupled with what wk said.
I know exceptions to that...
Much higher miles than me and still more SuC than AC.

Reactions: Droschke

Might be, but only as one contributor for the impacted supercharged cars. However, there are heavily supercharged cars that show no capacity cap. Go figure.

We need the hear the reason(s) straight from the horse's mouth. That is, if that horse ever talks? ;)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Just came back from supercharging .. here are my stats: Added 220 mi and 65kWh. Stopped charging at (what the computer says is) 90% and 233 miles in the "tank". This puts my 100% range at 258 miles and 100% charge at 76 kWh. As a side note, I started charging with 12 mi worth of battery remaining, took well over an 1:15 to get to 90% so the charge rate has significantly slowed. The peak rate started at 122kW and slowly, but linearly, dropped to the final 27kW rate in the end.

View attachment 435751 View attachment 435752

The displayed added kWh is not accurate. What is accurate is the added km (or miles). To know how many kWh you have added to your battery, multiply that figure by the magic "typical" constant (in my case, P85+, 189 wh/km)

Alright enough with all the small talk we know Tesla crippled our classic cars. Anyone know how we move forward on putting more pressure on Tesla or even starting a class action or recall?
i totally agree. If you have not already I would try and file a battery claim with your local service center as well as filing a complaint with your local Attorney General. I am waiting on calls back from both and will update once I hear back. I also post everywhere I can about this issue including the posts on the forums, linkedin, and have even tried messaging employees of Tesla.

Alright enough with all the small talk we know Tesla crippled our classic cars. Anyone know how we move forward on putting more pressure on Tesla or even starting a class action or recall?
We start by complaining about having 10% of the battery locked out, thus limiting power and range artificially. If all you do is complain about range, then Tesla will give a bullshit answer about it being a recalculation.
If I wanted a S60 I would have paid much less than I paid for the S85. Some of us had 15% locked out!

It is CLEAR due to the lack of communication and the emergency way it was done that it has MORE to do with the FIRES than longevity. They do not want to admit it so they wont be liable for a recall imho.

Oh JOY! BMS just locked out another mile of rated range :(
Down 16.02% from pre-update (-12.095KW)
or
18.87% from new (-14.75KW).
Gee.. Wouldn't 85 - 15 = 70? So they seem to need to send out new badges for our cars I guess....
So... I now own a software limited S70 NON D?

Also, they were VERY generous today! I got to see 62KW at the supercharger today for a whole 4 seconds before it dropped to 55kw. :(

Come on Tesla, come clean and do the RIGHT thing!

• Informative
Reactions: David99
If you have not already I would try and file a battery claim with your local service center

Are you talking about a formal process the SC's have, like a form to fill out, etc.?

I know all service requests filed by the owners have resulted in the Tesla performing a battery test and telling the owners their batteries are just fine. I have not heard anyone being successful to go beyond that, short of arbitration process or legal actions.

Reactions: gmo43
Are you talking about a formal process the SC's have, like a form to fill out, etc.?

I know all service requests filed by the owners have resulted in the Tesla performing a battery test and telling the owners their batteries are just fine. I have not heard anyone being successful to go beyond that, short of arbitration process or legal actions.
ANd Tesla flat out lies during the arbitration process. We complain about RANGE and they can make any BS claim they want. We complain about USABLE KW capacity being artificially locked out and the effect of it and the quick nature with no warning (like it was an EMERGENCY action), then they should have some explaining to do to the arbitrator.