Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you talking about a formal process the SC's have, like a form to fill out, etc.?

I know all service requests filed by the owners have resulted in the Tesla performing a battery test and telling the owners their batteries are just fine. I have not heard anyone being successful to go beyond that, short of arbitration process or legal actions.

I was told my battery passed the test, but has been "throttled" due to age and use. They promised to send me more information about the how and why, but of course I received nothing.

I think it is going to have to come down to a legal battle. I love my Tesla, but if they dont fix this I would join a class action.

I was told my battery passed the test, but has been "throttled" due to age and use. They promised to send me more information about the how and why, but of course I received nothing.

I think it is going to have to come down to a legal battle. I love my Tesla, but if they dont fix this I would join a class action.
Do you have anything in writing (like a text) from them stating that they throttled it?

I went in to the local SC like everyone else and was told the same bs battery is healthy. I complained to the service tech and asked to file a battery warranty based on limited range, and like everyone else slow charging. I was told the lead service tech was reviewing my complaint and would get back with me, I specifically asked to file a battery warranty claim. If they come back and say same bs was for battery health I will ask to have it escalated.

It may not lead to anything but I am not backing down on trying to file a battery claim any way I can. I am trying to cause a stink and when the service manager does call me back I will let him know I am working with the states Attorney General as well. I am assuming they will say they cant do anything and at that point I will let the states attorney general go after Tesla.

And if that fails I am sure I can get in with the current law suit going on with the Used car buying class action. Even if Tesla reduced our battery capacity and speed of charging due to fires they need to compensate owners its wrong. I am fed up with the game of changing what I paid for this is not right if it's a safety issue replace the battery or do a recall. Any other auto manufacturer would have sent out a recall notice and notified you its their legal responsibility. I love my Tesla but If this is not fixed I will be selling it and going to an ICE I am loosing my trust in this company to do the right thing. Sorry it feels like I threw 8,000 out of my car window.

It would be easier if the guys at Electrek or Insideevs actually owned one of these affected cars! They had no problem escalating the issue of price decrease on their P3D and start a huge thread forcing Tesla to give 5k back to owners.

I get really frustrated listening to their podcast these days as it's just a marketing arm of Tesla. I think they were up to 2 free roadsters based on their referrals.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Droschke
There was a guy with an 2012 S85 and 239k miles who got battery replaced...was a very long and tedious thread to read though.
Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

Best it to hope that a bank of cells is defective and then they don't have a choice but to replace or refurbish; but maybe that is what they are trying to mask with the software updates.

Reactions: Droschke
There was a guy with an 2012 S85 and 239k miles who got battery replaced...was a very long and tedious thread to read though.
Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

Best it to hope that a bank of cells is defective and then they don't have a choice but to replace or refurbish; but maybe that is what they are trying to mask with the software updates.
The dog with the loudest bark gets the bone or something like that anyhow like I said like the post and keep posting.

you mean a "settlement". They'd never let something like this go to a jury. You'd be lucky to get a discount on another car. When we joined the class relating to AP2 (waited years after our 2016 S was delivered) being not as promised - we got a few hundred. One mega fanboy here mocked us, and the pittence of a remedy, intimated all we did was waste our time. Get ready for the same crowd to come out of the woodwork for YOU all too.
Unlike that type of characters - i feel all your frustration & am sorry for the grief - after paying 6 figures.

Wondering if anyone has tried arbitration for this issue? Since I bought my car in May I am thinking I may at least try this if the SC or Attorney General route does not work.

Some have reported claim being accepted and waiting on a hearing and some others have reported being denied. No other information is known.

Mine is at the end of August and I read one person having theirs as soon as Aug 9th.

So we will see

Some have reported claim being accepted and waiting on a hearing and some others have reported being denied. No other information is known.

Mine is at the end of August and I read one person having theirs as soon as Aug 9th.

So we will see
Ok well Please keep us posted I will be going that route if my other options fail just total BS it’s just seems like a band aid to the fire issue more and more I read about it.

Throttling itself isn’t new, that was identified some time ago. A chap who exclusively DC charged noticed the charge rate dropped, and he’d been careful to charge and stay with 20-80% limits most of the time. Another owner received this from his SC after his car had been tested:

‘The DC charge limiting is set to start at 2625 kWh and reaches maximum derating at 13125 kWh.’

We have been looking for a commonality, but can find none. It affects all revisions of the same battery. I think it may be a batch of bad cells, myself. I have never gone to 1-2% and RARELY charge to 100%. I normally maintain things between 20% and 80%.
Ya, the Electrek and Roadshow articles were very specific in Tesla's statement that this effects "some" early 85kWh batteries. So before silicon was added to the anodes to add 6% capacity, i.e. 90kWh. But as we have seen it is not all 85kWh batteries. But I need to point out that the Roadshow article quoted Tesla as saying "Most owners won't notice". Sorry, but that is an insulting statement from Tesla.
Our attention keeps focusing on range. After all that is the killer for us. But Tesla doesn't give a *sugar*. And they won't. Our position HAS to be SAFETY. We just had another MS 85kWh burst into flames in Germany. This is the point that Tesla cannot deny. Their attempt at limiting battery kWh capacity is a feeble attempt to solve a safety issue that is bigger than any other topic on this thread. Don't talk to the SC about range. Present yourself to the SC and announce in the waiting room that you have specific evidence that Teslas are bursting into flames while sitting peacefully and not even plugged in. That will drive the point home to Tesla. Battery warranty/replacement is the responsible action we need from Tesla. Nothing else. Otherwise who knows who's car will burst into flames while sitting in their garage tonight.

Throttling itself isn’t new, that was identified some time ago. A chap who exclusively DC charged noticed the charge rate dropped, and he’d been careful to charge and stay with 20-80% limits most of the time. Another owner received this from his SC after his car had been tested:

‘The DC charge limiting is set to start at 2625 kWh and reaches maximum derating at 13125 kWh.’
This is a very interesting post. My 3 year old car has done over 50,000 miles using over 15,000 kWhs. 80%-85% of my Charging has been on DC using a CHAdeMO, (so only drawing 38-39kW instead of 90-100kW from a Supercharger), so when I saw your figures my heart sank. But although they have limited my battery capacity, they haven’t limited the charge rate. One might be forgiven for concluding that they seem to have little idea what they are doing. Of course the DC charge limit may only apply to Supercharging, in which case all my slower CHAdeMO charging may have been worthwhile. Now, if only they would reverse my battery reduction.

But it’s curious that if my battery isn't so bad that it needs charge limiting, what makes it so bad that it needs its capacity reduced. What can the reason be

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Droschke
But although they have limited my battery capacity, they haven’t limited the charge rate.
Have you been able to prove this by using a Supercharger, as the CHAdeMo rates are slow by comparison anyway?

One might be forgiven for concluding that they seem to have little idea what they are doing.
Quite possibly, or in uncharted waters..

Of course the DC charge limit may only apply to Supercharging, in which case all my slower CHAdeMO charging may have been worthwhile.
I don't think so, it's all DC charging. This was the point made by the owner who first identified the problem as most of his DC charging was CHAdeMo. It was when he visited Superchargers on a regularly taken trip he noticed the difference.

Ya, the Electrek and Roadshow articles were very specific in Tesla's statement that this effects "some" early 85kWh batteries. So before silicon was added to the anodes to add 6% capacity, i.e. 90kWh. But as we have seen it is not all 85kWh batteries. But I need to point out that the Roadshow article quoted Tesla as saying "Most owners won't notice". Sorry, but that is an insulting statement from Tesla.
Our attention keeps focusing on range. After all that is the killer for us. But Tesla doesn't give a *sugar*. And they won't. Our position HAS to be SAFETY. We just had another MS 85kWh burst into flames in Germany. This is the point that Tesla cannot deny. Their attempt at limiting battery kWh capacity is a feeble attempt to solve a safety issue that is bigger than any other topic on this thread. Don't talk to the SC about range. Present yourself to the SC and announce in the waiting room that you have specific evidence that Teslas are bursting into flames while sitting peacefully and not even plugged in. That will drive the point home to Tesla. Battery warranty/replacement is the responsible action we need from Tesla. Nothing else. Otherwise who knows who's car will burst into flames while sitting in their garage tonight.
We have to use range as that is the ONLY measure the car directly displays. Tesla automatically distegards ALL data from 3rd party apps reading the BMS.
I know this because that is what happened to me. Even their battery capacity test results were reported to me in rated range miles NOT kWh. I am SURE their report shows kWh but they would not tell me those numbers even though I paid $253.50 for the test.

Safety IS a concern for me and I filed a report with NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) to investigate the safety of Tesla batteries following 4 fires in 4 months while cars were parked and not charging. One was in a garage in San Francisco. They are who administer recalls.

I will let you all know when I hear back from them.