Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want someone other than Tesla to investigate the link to this update to the fires.

You are welcome to pay to have a third party crack your battery open and investigate it.

I want them to certify that my battery will not burn up in my garage.

That's not going to happen, and expecting it is unreasonable. *sugar* happens, and you can't always predict it. Look at how many "safe" ICE vehicles burst in to flames all the time. So often that the news doesn't even normally bother reporting it anymore.

You are welcome to pay to have a third party crack your battery open and investigate it.

That's not going to happen, and expecting it is unreasonable. *sugar* happens, and you can't always predict it. Look at how many "safe" ICE vehicles burst in to flames all the time. So often that the news doesn't even normally bother reporting it anymore.
I think what he means is we want to know what caused the fires and make sure ours are safe that is not unreasonable.

Typical media loves to exaggerate. For all she knows, there could be 100 owners with the problem. No facts at all to back up the claim.
"The lawsuit filed on Wednesday in Northern California federal court alleges fraud and seeks class action status for the potentially 'thousands' of such Model S and X owners around the world who have seen the range of their older-generation batteries suddenly curtailed, some by as much as 40 miles (64 km)."

You realize this thread was linked in the lawsuit, right? And many TMC members were quoted. Anyone who's interested in Tesla doing well is going to visit this thread. I just bought my 3 in March and I really don't want the people who delight in harming Tesla to use this as another piece of ammunition against them.

And forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but how is this not about battery degradation? The plaintiff is suing for the value of their lost range. All Tesla needs to prove is that the reported loss in range is within normal parameters. It doesn't matter if it was sudden or not, the software changed how the hardware behaved and that led to the sudden drop. 4.2v could have been a dangerous level due to normal degradation, and Tesla has now adjusted the firmware to bring it back in line.
Totally agree this is a possibility regardless of whether some people want to hear it or not. Whether there was a sudden drop or not doesn't matter as long as Tesla shows that a physical battery property that changed over time was just now detected by their BMS. Detection doesn't change this fact. If this goes to trial, we will all learn quite a bit about they various changes a battery experiences over time in different climates and use cases.

You realize this thread was linked in the lawsuit, right? And many TMC members were quoted. Anyone who's interested in Tesla doing well is going to visit this thread. I just bought my 3 in March and I really don't want the people who delight in harming Tesla to use this as another piece of ammunition against them.

And forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but how is this not about battery degradation? The plaintiff is suing for the value of their lost range. All Tesla needs to prove is that the reported loss in range is within normal parameters. It doesn't matter if it was sudden or not, the software changed how the hardware behaved and that led to the sudden drop. 4.2v could have been a dangerous level due to normal degradation, and Tesla has now adjusted the firmware to bring it back in line.

Trust us we love Tesla and most have own theirs cars way long before model 3 and any Auto pilot tech. So if it wasn't for us Tesla would be in the fisker category. We just want Tesla to do what is right. Learn from it and become a better company. Trust me before this move, I was in search of another Tesla car but this really made me stop and think about it.

Trust us we love Tesla and most have own theirs cars way long before model 3 and any Auto pilot tech. So if it wasn't for us Tesla would be in the fisker category. We just want Tesla to do what is right. Learn from it and become a better company. Trust me before this move, I was in search of another Tesla car but this really made me stop and think about it.
Agree there are many ways Tesla could and should provide some sort of good will compensation to the affected users. A replacement battery for everyone though is probably not going to happen regardless of any trial outcome.

If i were to pay someone to open my battery ither than Tesla then my warranty is voided.

Tesla "believes" their batteries and BMS are the best in the world.
Musk claims if anything goes wrong with our battery it is Tesla's fault not ours.

99+% of gasoline car fires are from poor maintenance or accidents. Not spontaneous combustion while parked in your garage. 4 spontaneous fires in 4 months should be investigated by NHTSA. They demanded hundreds of millions of airbags recalled because of a few fatalities. And Ford Pintos were recalled for rear end collision fires.

Last edited:
You seem to be missing the point. According to TESLA, they say it is NOT related to the fires. Please look earlier in the thread.
Tesla has given absolutely NO reliable or usable data or an explanation for doing what they did. All they told me was it is NOT related to the fires.

It appears the poster you are replying to has not read the whole thread, not very informed and is missing a lot of detail and facts. Nevertheless, keeps lecturing.

Typical media loves to exaggerate. For all she knows, there could be 100 owners with the problem. No facts at all to back up the claim.
I know of 40 on this thread. Another 20 in Europe.
What do you think the odds are that everyone affected is on this forum? There are some 200,000 model S 70s, 75s. 85s and 90s. There are not 200,000 menbers here.
However, Tesla has the means to know EXACTLY how many and which exact cars ARE affected.

• Love
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
I know of 40 on this thread. Another 20 in Europe.
What do you think the odds are that everyone affected is on this forum? There are some 200,000 model S 70s, 75s. 85s and 90s. There are not 200,000 menbers here.
However, Tesla has the means to know EXACTLY how many and which exact cars ARE affected.
Yes they do, but the reporter doesn't have that information. I prefer journalists to state facts as opposed to assumptions extrapolated from an incredibly small sample size. Have you not considered that affected users are more likely to visit this site looking for a solution than someone who has no issue?

• Disagree
Reactions: Droschke
I get that it's frustrating to be left in the dark, but you would rather Tesla give owners a choice in whether their batteries are being dangerously overcharged?

Everyone would opt out of the battery safety switch, and the problem would persist.

I would rather Tesla replace my battery especially if the risk of it self combusting are high enough that they felt the need to silently reduce my maximum charge.

I just bought my 3 in March and I really don't want the people who delight in harming Tesla to use this as another piece of ammunition against them.

Thanks for being at least honest about it. Only the wrong thread to advocate your cause. I would recommend you enjoy the honeymoon with your model 3 purchased just 5 month ago as long as it lasts. The impacted owners have been there, done that, their cars have cost them twice as much as you have invested in the purchase of your 3 and were the early adopters of the technology, loyal customers for years before you decided to buy yours, BUT have been treated astonishingly poor, with disrespect and dishonesty.

Last edited:
That was awfully rude asking me to leave the thread.

I did not see that comment from the other poster and would not have like it either. But, what I think is "awfully rude" is when someone enters a room full of tormented owners, a room where tons of interesting topics, lots of which based on facts, exchanged and analyzed for 3 months, and some of which BTW by the battery SME's, while waiting for Tesla to talk, and start lecturing them in behalf of the offender. It just does not go well and it's majorly rude ;)

This Why Audi lies to Dumb people with 90+KWH and 240 mile range... Audi knows dumb people will sue about battery life.

That same DUMB person should sue HP, Dell, Apple for there laptop charging life.

Tesla’s is not at fault, people in 2013 should have understand its a computer laptop on wheels.

You are calling the impacted owner(s) DUMB?

@MP3Mike, I hope you answer this one: Are you impacted by this capacity cap?