TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Dutchmeeuw, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

That's pretty close to what Tesla told me on the phone. I understand the range degradation as it's expected. What is unknown is the sudden and drastic range loss after 2019.16.x many owners are experiencing. It almost looks as they have shrunk our usable battery capacity to avoid 100% charging. In other words, If the charging now completes at 100%, it might be only 90% in reality. If true, the question is what's the reason behind it? A poster in another thread stated the 2019.16.x has increased the reserved portion of the pack by 1kW on his car.

There are other possibilities for this sudden range loss. We just do not know.

2. amallah

amallah Member

Was it immediately after 2019.16.x installation? I went straight from 2019.12.1.1 to 2019.16.2 and did not see the degradation, could there be some issue in 2019.16.1 which caused this? What does your teslafi say in the datatable like this: ScreenClip.png

3. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

My capacity was at about 74kWh before the s/w update. I’m now seeing about 63kWh. So my drop was not about 1kWh, but in fact about 10KWh.

• Informative x 1
  4. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

Yes, mine has been after 2019.16.x AND after car's cooling pump ran for hours in two separate days which I reported here . This might impacted some older packs but not all older packs.

5. Dave46

Dave46 Member

I should also report that on June 2, I started using an OBD2 and Scan My Tesla app to read the diagnostic port.
    On June 2 it indicated the
    "Normal full pack 69.6 kWh, Energy buffer 4kWh"
    On June 14 it indicated the
    "Normal full pack 66.0 kWh, Energy buffer 4kWh"

The 3.3 kWh decline in battery capacity is consistent with the decline in mileage. So independent of any change in reserved portion my battery capacity has declined and it continues on a daily basis. It is not just rated miles that is degrading.

• Informative x 1
  6. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

As I said, he reported the 1kW on his car. Mine, like yours, calculates to be more than 1kW loss for sure.

7. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

I think it's combination of both: an increase in the reserved portion and a decrease of the total kWh available. What's puzzling me is the sudden drop in the kWh, RM, etc.

BTW, you mentioned you see 27 RM drop. That should be a lot more than 3.3 kWh decline.

8. Dave46

Dave46 Member

I'm not sure how to product that datatable.
    Also the rapid decline may not be related to the software change.

9. Dave46

Dave46 Member

[QUOTE="Droschke, post: 3752571, member: 33349"
    BTW, you mentioned you see 27 RM drop. That should be a lot more than 3.3 kWh decline.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But the 27 RM drop was over 28 days and I don't know what the full kWh was then.
    The 3.3 kWh decline was over 11 days and 11 RM drop which is consistent 330 Wh/mi.

10. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

I agree. But the 27 RM drop was over 28 days and I don't know what the full kWh was then.
    The 3.3 kWh decline was over 11 days and 11 RM drop which is consistent 330 Wh/mi.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. Thanks.

11. amallah

amallah Member

That's just for teslafi.com users, if you have the graph that others have been posting, you can scroll down and see that data.

12. Dave46

Dave46 Member

Thanks
    The rapid decline starts after May 16.
    Screenshot_20190614-120928.png

• Informative x 3
  13. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

In response to scheduling an appt, I received the following. My response is below Tesla’s assessment.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

Yes, mid May, the curve changed, here’s my data.

Attached Files:

15. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

I like your response back to them. Please let's know what else they say to explain the sudden loss. No one is arguing about the gradual loss.

16. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

Does anyone know how Teslafi calculates the "Estimated Range at 100%"?

17. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

ECDAC83C-E9EF-4205-894C-45F4B1ADD6B6.jpeg I don’t, but it does correlate to RemoteS, which below shows my capacity at 62.8kWh (which was at ~74kWh before all this started) which is the same number as shown in TM Spy.

• Informative x 1
  18. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

Thanks for the info. I do not use third party apps. I just go with what the car tells me. Tesla gave me the same canned response: your batter is aging, but could not say why aging rapidly in a month!

A sudden 12 kWh in your case is significant. It would be interesting if Tesla ever explains it.

19. ran349

ran349 Member

You can tell from the chart, it's just a simple percent scaling from the charged percentage.

20. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

Thanks. So, the calculation is:

"Estimated Range at 100%" = "Battery Range" / "Charge %"

Is the "Battery Range" value the same as the Rated Miles the car shows?