Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the test instructions were poorly written, the techs don't know how to do the test and the test software wasn't developed to ensure a certain battery level when testing or he was lying to you. What do you think makes sense?
The latter. I think that the service techs actually gave me correct information, that my battery has degraded into a range that even Tesla deems to be "concerning," but that the service manager was instructed by his supervisor to give the party line and deny any battery replacement.

No stoning needed. Thanks for the additional information, which will hopefully dampen some of the wild speculation going on here. It should put some of the posters’ minds at ease.
What would be helpful is an official explanation from Tesla, it shouldn't be up to other users to clarify what has happened. I don't doubt that Tesla is trying to rectify the problem, hopefully, the present situation isn't 'the solution'.

The latter. I think that the service techs actually gave me correct information, that my battery has degraded into a range that even Tesla deems to be "concerning," but that the service manager was instructed by his supervisor to give the party line and deny any battery replacement.

If you know someone that has the android app ScanMyTesla you can use it to see the condition of your battery.

Also, there is a new product from Germany that is like a super Teslafi data logger. @DJRas just ordered one to test. Perhaps he can provide some info on it. Here is a link to the product:
Tesla Battery diagnostics – Teslalogger Preview – EMDS

If you know someone that has the android app ScanMyTesla you can use it to see the condition of your battery.

Also, there is a new product from Germany that is like a super Teslafi data logger. @DJRas just ordered one to test. Perhaps he can provide some info on it. Here is a link to the product:
Tesla Battery diagnostics – Teslalogger Preview – EMDS

That’s just a video. Isn’t there a written explanation somewhere? Couldn’t find anything on that website. The best I could find is EV longterm diagnostics – our “TESLA-Logger” – EMDS

which is not very complete or clear.

Have people with decreased voltages - batterygate - noticed lack of software updates to v10?
There was a post, which I cannot locate anymore, where a poster was told by Tesla that his older Model S currently had a "experimental firmware" installed and that he would not be receiving v10 until they resolved issues with his current software.

agree with not *wanting* v10, but being told that software v10 is unavailable for *some* cars due to *experimental* software that needs to be resolved seems like a huge acknowledgement by Tesla. I'm saying: it would be interesting if these cars not eligible for v10 also have decreased voltages, then that is a connection between "experimental" software and batterygate

Reactions: Droschke
Have people with decreased voltages - batterygate - noticed lack of software updates to v10?
There was a post, which I cannot locate anymore, where a poster was told by Tesla that his older Model S currently had a "experimental firmware" installed and that he would not be receiving v10 until they resolved issues with his current software.

I was told that I have a unique BMS firmware version (as opposed to general car firmware). But they said nothing about not getting version 10.

Having said that, I’m still on 2019.28.2.5. I’m in no rush to get any further car updates out of fear of losing even more range or supercharger charge speed.

Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
agree with not *wanting* v10, but being told that software v10 is unavailable for *some* cars due to *experimental* software that needs to be resolved seems like a huge acknowledgement by Tesla. I'm saying: it would be interesting if these cars not eligible for v10 also have decreased voltages, then that is a connection between "experimental" software and batterygate

I absolutely agree with your good observation. I'm not surprised by what you are asserting since not many older model S cars have received V10.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce
I don't want to hijack this thread too much but I Googled the plaintiffs' attorney who filed the class action against Tesla, Edward C. Chen. I have no direct knowledge of his legal skills but he appears to be a solo practitioner going against a huge corporation that is represented by a national corporate defense firm. I'm concerned that he might not have the wherewithal to win this legal battle. Clearly, Tesla has decided to dig in its heels, and it will take a lot of resources to wage a legal battle against Tesla. It doesn't help that I noticed a grammatical error or two on his firm's website.

• Funny
Reactions: AmpedRealtor

I still haven't received it.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
I don't want to hijack this thread too much but I Googled the plaintiffs' attorney who filed the class action against Tesla, Edward C. Chen. I have no direct knowledge of his legal skills but he appears to be a solo practitioner going against a huge corporation that is represented by a national corporate defense firm. I'm concerned that he might not have the wherewithal to win this legal battle. Clearly, Tesla has decided to dig in its heels, and it will take a lot of resources to wage a legal battle against Tesla. It doesn't help that I noticed a grammatical error or two on his firm's website.
Well if that's how you want to think then most people would never sue big corps. If we get NHTSA and state government involved that fancy law firm won't matter.

Edit: I'm sure this lawfirm was small at one point too.

• Informative
And you know this how? Honestly, I don't notice any difference (performance or otherwise) between v9 and v10 on my MCU1 car.

If you read the thread on the eMMC failures you will note that version 10 writes to the eMMC for every little change, such as, for example, each time your seat moves from your memory setting to the easy entry setting.

The eMMC is a weak point in the car. You can only write to it so many times before it fails, and then you have to replace the whole MCU (unless you know someone who can desolder the old eMMC from the MCU and retrieve the data from it, and then burn a new eMMC that is soldered to the MCU board) at a cost of about $3,000 when the warranty runs out. I for one don’t need to have the eMMC wear out sooner that necessary due to frivolous writings to it.

The attorney is in discussions with other firms comparable to Tesla’s firm to possibly associate with.

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke