Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you elaborate more? What do you think the connection is?

Quite simply, the model 3 has a more limited battery warranty, so they would have far fewer claims for it than S and X which has unlimited mileage warranty.

So I am thinking:

They want to discourage us from being too hard on the batteries by slowing supercharging and making it a frustrating process*
They want to incentivize us to migrate to model 3 with a lower battery warranty
They simply want to baby the battery so it lasts longer, given that many of us put a lot of miles on the car and they'd have to cover the battery for 8 years even if we put 500k miles on the car

*I have a '15 70D so I only see the slower supercharging, not the range loss. I also got a replacement battery pack last December which started out with 242 miles of range at 100% (240 is rated). A voltage sensor had failed and the battery bricked (and my car would not move and threw every error in the Tesla universe). The slow supercharging has made the car frustrating to use for anything but daily commuting.

Quite simply, the model 3 has a more limited battery warranty, so they would have far fewer claims for it than S and X which has unlimited mileage warranty.

So I am thinking:

They want to discourage us from being too hard on the batteries by slowing supercharging and making it a frustrating process*
They want to incentivize us to migrate to model 3 with a lower battery warranty
They simply want to baby the battery so it lasts longer, given that many of us put a lot of miles on the car and they'd have to cover the battery for 8 years even if we put 500k miles on the car

*I have a '15 70D so I only see the slower supercharging, not the range loss. I also got a replacement battery pack last December which started out with 242 miles of range at 100% (240 is rated). A voltage sensor had failed and the battery bricked (and my car would not move and threw every error in the Tesla universe). The slow supercharging has made the car frustrating to use for anything but daily commuting.

Add the safety issue to that then it all makes sense. They publicly stated they were going to address the fire occurrences with the OTA updates. They did. And shortly after we got capped and then charged throttled.

bhz said
"I answered the question (which of course is irrelevant to the substantive points) and bizarrely, inexplicably, a moderator edited my post without any indication that he edited it and in that edit deleted my response. Apparently my answer, even the word "neither", had to be censored for some bizarre reason."

You certainly should be given every opportunity to reply. Feel free to use this post to respond. For anyone who doesn't know what question we are talking about, I asked bhz what this statement means.

bhzmark said:
And I'm in a position to rather easily escalate in other ways, but have never found the need

Possibly leave the word "neither" out of the answer.

I agree - Tesla clearly hate (premier paying) customers . I have complained tirelessly about the loss in range since they installed restrictive software. I have lost 20% - but Tesla respond to my complaint with arrogance. eg 'I'm sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear...'....and a file note ' no further action required' ....Looking on the bright side they are lowering the bar for competitors - I despise them for the inconvenience they have and still cause me

If you are sharing an issue related to to the topic of the thread, please provide detail. Just saying "I have lost 20%" means nothing.

- What model car and year?
- 20% loss of what?
- What was before/after?
- When did you lose 20%, over time, sudden (when)?

Detail is important and you have provided none.

And, that's before you should say "Tesla clearly hate (premier paying) customers"!!!

Reactions: lightningltd
bhz said
"I answered the question (which of course is irrelevant to the substantive points) and bizarrely, inexplicably, a moderator edited my post without any indication that he edited it and in that edit deleted my response. Apparently my answer, even the word "neither", had to be censored for some bizarre reason."

You certainly should be given every opportunity to reply. Feel free to use this post to respond. For anyone who doesn't know what question we are talking about, I asked bhz what this statement means.

bhzmark said:
And I'm in a position to rather easily escalate in other ways, but have never found the need

Possibly leave the word "neither" out of the answer.

Paying such close attention to the specific warranty text (instead of my off-hand comment) would better repay your efforts.

Can anyone explain this? My M3 range says 61%. Switching to Miles, it is 142. My Model3 plus 240 mile battery. Is it reasonable to divide 142 from 240? That is 59.1% which is close to 61%. Yet , I can only charge up to 230 now. My Model 3 has only 3,500 miles on it. If I divide 142 from 61 I get the 229.5 (230) mile.

Last edited:
Honestly, the thing that concerns me the most about all of this is that a bunch of lawyers, judges, and juries will end up having the final say over engineers.

I'm all for letting the owner choose via software though for what balance between longevity and capacity they want for the battery. Just as with the odometer the choices made should be recorded so that future owners can understand how the car was maintained, so that resale value isn't hit as hard for owners who don't try to squeeze every mile out of the battery.

I think people also have to realize that these technologies are new and engineers can only make the best designs and estimates that they can. To the degree that Tesla over promised there should be accountability, but we're increasingly living in a world where consumers and voters just give their preference to those who tell them what they want to hear...
The problem is that Tesla has told no one here the technical basis of the caps they have imposed, no one here can discern a supportable pattern of customer behavior or conditions that do or do not lead to capping and therefore no way exists to identify or choose between more available capacity, charging rate and longevity.

Reactions: Droschke
Paying such close attention to the specific warranty text (instead of my off-hand comment) would better repay your efforts.

Something you find particularly difficult about answering this question? Shouldn't be that difficult since you claim you already attempted to answer it once. I purposely haven't answered your statement about warranty, yet, because I believed you would use it, once again, to try to avoid this question. As for your analysis of my repayment efforts, I, and I'm sure others, find this question more interesting than your warranty concept, which I am more than happy to answer, as soon as you answer this question that I have asked 4 or 5 times now.

Can anyone explain this? My M3 range says 61%. Switching to Miles, it is 142. My Model3 plus 240 mile battery. Is it reasonable to divide 142 from 240? That is 59.1% which is close to 61%. Yet , I can only charge up to 230 now. My Model 3 has only 3,500 miles on it. If I divide 142 from 61 I get the 229.5 (230) mile.
142/0.61= 232.7
So, this means when you charge to 100% now your range should be close to 233 miles.
There is a couple of mile plus or minus because these numbers are all rounded up.

Oh man, What did I just get myself into?... Haven't been a month since purchasing a 2016 MS.
You got yourself into what is probably going to be the best car you have ever owned. Still breathtaking even after nearly 4 years and 60,000 miles.

The experience will be even better if you can avoid dealing with the company.

Niroc , your post took me straight back to my early days of ownership, where I had more excel spreadsheets than you could shake a stick at, on consumption in the dry, in the wet, time to charge, kWs in v miles out, range at different Wh/mi figures. In the end, fortunately, I realised that unlike arithmetic, the numbers seldom balanced out on both sides. If I was comparing something going in, with something coming out, the devil always seemed to take his share.

My advice is, use the Energy Screen and Trip Screen to work out your range. I have my battery icon set to % as I have found that the miles my car consumes bears little resemblance to the statute miles it travels. As someone wisely said, batteries store energy, not miles.

You say your M3 Range is 63% or 142 miles. Actually both are incorrect. 63% just means it’s 63% between the bottom cut off and the top cut off. 142 miles might as well say watermelons. The battery icon figures just use the remaining charge in the battery multiplied by a fixed consumption rate. It doesn’t take into account your driving style, geography or most other outside factors. If you change the settings from Rated to Typical it produces different figures, but of course you don’t get extra miles. So treat it’s estimates with extreme caution. It is technically possible to drive so cautiously as to achieve these range estimates, but it’s hard work and probably not the reason you bought your car. If you drive it hard you will get fewer miles. If you drive it gently you will get more. Say what? “Drive it like you stole it”. Use your battery icon like a fuel gauge. If it gets low, top it up a bit. Avoid trying to work out any correlation between Whs going in to anything coming out.

With experience you will learn how much % you will need for any given distance. Use the energy/trip meter to work out Range, or more importantly, if you will get to your destination. You can trust it’s figures. But above all, enjoy owning your car and understand that, like your last car, range varies. And the miles the car promises, and the miles it actually gets are only cousins, not brothers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip!
I'm glad i'm not capped, but yes i think something is not totally right either.
Will ask the service center to see what they have to say and will report back.

Ok, i was at the service center and asked about this today and they basically said.... nothing...
They said Scan My Tesla readings are not accurate and not to be trusted :rolleyes: and the BMS should take care of cell balancing (as we can see from my readings :rolleyes:)
So, a handful of nothing.
I think they were all instructed to now say the SMT readings are not accurate and so on.

Last edited:
Ok, i was at the service center and asked about this today and they basically said.... nothing...
They said Scan My Tesla readings are not accurate and not to be trusted :rolleyes: and the BMS should take care of cell balancing (as we can see from my readings :rolleyes:)
I think they were all instructed to now say the SMT readings are not accurate and so on.

Interesting because I assumed that SMT read the voltages directly from the BMS via the canbus.

Are Tesla trying to say that their own BMS/canbus data can’t be trusted?

The good feedback you have received here, by multiple knowledgeable owners, is convincing enough that your car is not capped. Additionally, Tesla not accepting the 3rd party CANBUS tools is not anything new as it's been mentioned and discussed here ad nauseam.

Enjoy your car.

Something you find particularly difficult about answering this question? Shouldn't be that difficult since you claim you already attempted to answer it once. I purposely haven't answered your statement about warranty, yet, because I believed you would use it, once again, to try to avoid this question. As for your analysis of my repayment efforts, I, and I'm sure others, find this question more interesting than your warranty concept, which I am more than happy to answer, as soon as you answer this question that I have asked 4 or 5 times now.
I believe he isn't allowed to answer! He implied he is an employee or insider at Tesla, and probably wasn't supposed to tell us. His weird story about the mods here secretly editing his posts to keep him from getting into trouble from answering questions doesn't hold water, but it does sound plausible enough to act as a way for him to avoid answering forever so he isn't prosecuted or fired.

He's still trying to help us by saying the opposite of the truth - except of course when he says to pay attention to the warranty. I believe his constant insistence on that point and the BMS is because he, as an insider working for Tesla, wants us to focus on the BMS causing catastrophic battery failures and the warranty not being honored as it should as the most effective legal avenue of success. The opposite of the truth is "I already answered" and the opposite of the truth is "the mods are editing my posts to make it seem like I never answered" - as always, he is using the opposite of the truth to answer questions without getting into trouble for breaking his NDA with Tesla.

@bhzmark, can you "un"-officially "deny" the recent hypothesis that the underlying cause is a design defect caused by improper cure times during cell manufacturing? How would you opposite-truth describe this hypothesis?

The good feedback you have received here, by multiple knowledgeable owners, is convincing enough that your car is not capped. Additionally, Tesla not accepting the 3rd party CANBUS tools is not anything new as it's been mentioned and discussed here ad nauseam.

Enjoy your car.

Yes, i know understand my S85 is not capped (yet at least). Yay!
Didn't knew that about them not accounting data form 3rd party canbus tools.
Anyway the guy with who i talked with at Tesla sounded like he didn't have a clue.

I believe he isn't allowed to answer! He implied he is an employee or insider at Tesla, and probably wasn't supposed to tell us. His weird story about the mods here secretly editing his posts to keep him from getting into trouble from answering questions doesn't hold water, but it does sound plausible enough to act as a way for him to avoid answering forever so he isn't prosecuted or fired.

He's still trying to help us by saying the opposite of the truth - except of course when he says to pay attention to the warranty. I believe his constant insistence on that point and the BMS is because he, as an insider working for Tesla, wants us to focus on the BMS causing catastrophic battery failures and the warranty not being honored as it should as the most effective legal avenue of success. The opposite of the truth is "I already answered" and the opposite of the truth is "the mods are editing my posts to make it seem like I never answered" - as always, he is using the opposite of the truth to answer questions without getting into trouble for breaking his NDA with Tesla.

@bhzmark, can you "un"-officially "deny" the recent hypothesis that the underlying cause is a design defect caused by improper cure times during cell manufacturing? How would you opposite-truth describe this hypothesis?
I think you may be reading too much into this. The user of which you speak has always been an enthusiastic supporter (to put it nicely) of all things Tesla. The posts here just follow that pattern. I wouldn't be so sure that she (if I remember correctly) has any inside info.