TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Dutchmeeuw, Jun 3, 2019.

1. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

F4BBED0A-C8D0-472D-A1EE-99F75E8522A6.png
    Yes, just now.

Whew, what a relief - battery is ok, after all.
    Or at least I guess that’s the desired response.

• Funny x 1
  2. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

#62 Droschke, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Not sure how to read your thoughts. Serious or sarcastic?

Your question to Tesla wasn't if your battery is "OK" or not, but rather why a significant loss in a very short time!

3. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

Exactly!
    Hence my sarcastic response.
    Battery is “ok” if you ignore the data, and listen to tesla.

4. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

Just wanted to make sure :)

CAC (Calculated Amp Capacity) wasn't even the concern here. They are just distracting.

• Helpful x 1
  5. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

An update:

D0110C2A-0BF1-42C6-A9A1-F5B2989014AA.png

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  6. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

#66 Droschke, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Amazing. They are finally telling us a bit about what's happening. Good that they are at least talking to you. Please keep us informed about what else they will add.

On Edit:
    Just thinking, since the RM and the capacity are artificially limited, can we now charge to 100% since the new 100% seems to be like the old 90%?

7. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

Note the record above, in my attempt to charge from 20% to 100% at a supercharger, it took 1 hr and 51 mins and charging stopped at 97%. The last 3% was at only a few amps.

• Informative x 1
  8. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

OK. Let me try this:

Since the RM and the capacity are artificially limited, can we now charge to 97% since the new 97% seems to be like the old 87%?

:)

• Like x 2
  9. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

It's certainly not going to prolong battery life as folks will charge to the top more often (closer to 100%) which is way worse than running near the bottom(note I didn't say AT the bottom which is even worse than 100%). But their change to reserve an extra 1kwh wouldn't make any difference since it would have already shut off long before there was any danger of reversing the polarity of individual cells.

Your observation of the reserve buffer before and after and their confirmation that this was intentional merits it's own thread.

"Tesla intentionally reduces range of 85 packs with software update!!"

10. faughtz

faughtz Model S P85DL

If you look at my screen shots from TMspy above the max cell voltages have been reduced by this software. My loss is not 1kWh, but about 10kWh. And an unknown, as yet, power loss. 1 hr and 51 mins to charge from about 20% to 97% on a supercharger, although 100% was requested. I can’t believe more people aren’t outraged by the loss and tesla’s behavior.

11. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

I bet lots of owners have not noticed it yet. Some are commenting in various threads. Like @sorka was saying this needs a separate thread for more visibility since you now have a lot more finding.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Just read this thread with curiosity. Thought I would supercharge to 90% to see if I have been affected, and fortunately I haven’t been. Same rated range before as now on 2019.16.2; been on it for about 2 weeks now.

• Informative x 2
  13. Dave46

Dave46 Member

And keep in mind this reduction of capacity is not a one time event. It is worse: so far the battery capacity decreases every time I drive. Since May 16 I have loss 9 kWh at an average 2.5 kWh per 1000 miles.

At that rate I'll have a 30% degradation from the new battery capacity (77.5 kWh) in about 5000 more miles or about 52 days at the rate I drive! I don't know when or if it will stop this degradation rate.

Outrageous yes.

Continuously decreasing the actual real capacity to protect the battery does not make sense.

Extrapolating the declining capacity my 100% battery range will be less than 20 miles in 8 months!

• Helpful x 1
  14. Dave46

Dave46 Member

What size battery so you have? And what year was it made?

15. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Dec 2014 P85D 90,000 km.

Just to confirm this is a result of 2019.16.X update and not the 2019.20.X update for you guys?

16. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

You are showing two different values at 90%: 364 and 226. Looks like you are affected, no?

17. Dutchmeeuw

Dutchmeeuw Member

Today my 100% charge dropped to 359km.

So I officially lost 40km in 1 month, or 10% of my range. 18% from new. Anyone else with these kind of numbers?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I totally missed that or got you confused with whomever said scan my tesla showed the reserve buffer increased from 4 to 5 kwh.
    I only see one value displayed in both units. 226 @90% is essentially like a brand new battery.

19. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

• Funny x 1
  20. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

Correct. Since the first two screenshots were in km, I just looked at the third number but did not notice it was in miles. Thanks for pointing that out to me.