Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they had capped from 4.1 at the beginning and advertised stats based on the caps, it would all be OK. They did exactly t hat on the S40, capped S60, some S75 sold with actual BTX85 packs, and the base $35k Model SR. It's legal because the EPA (and global equivalents) tested those configurations and they were sold with the cap in place - buyers weren't duped into false purchases or deprived afterward. Capping adter the fact invalidates the EPA's MPGe rating and is theft of purchased goods because the MVPA every one of us signed was priced based on options that were only achievable when rated with the battery on its original and uncapped value. The cap invalidates factory new specifications.

Never paid much attention to individual module temps, but noticing the last few (no idea how far back) charging sessions show one module of what I take to be an inlet temp that is higher than the outlet.

Wondering if a parameter is switched in TM-Spy, or if it is real. Anyone else see this?

DDD0E6FD-51DE-4A08-9CDE-EE9316AAD2B6.png

At the Kettleman City Supercharger earlier today, I parked next to a 100 Model S. The car had manufacturer plates and curiously, RHD.

So, I asked the techs when the 100S will be having cell voltage capped and gimped Supercharging rates. I showed them my 42 kW at 50%.

They mentioned the standard company line about battery degradation. I said that degradation has no affect on the max voltage per cell. I asked them why the batteries were now capped at 4.1 volts.

They decided to walk into the lounge.

There was never a 4.2 V spec from Tesla. The best you could do would be to show a before and after readout where the voltage changed and showing the associated capacity loss that resulted from it.
Thanks. Not quite the answer I was hoping for, but I need to know it nonetheless.

I would do that, if I had bought the cable and App before batterygate. But I only bought them after batterygate in order to confirm I had been capped. Classic horse, bolt, stable scenario.

Reactions: jkennebeck
Just as a matter of interest, I am about to speak to a lawyer and I expect him to ask for corroborating evidence, most of which I do have. We all know that the original Vmax was 4.2V, and those of us with TM Spy or ScanMyTesla can prove what the voltage is now. But if he asks me to prove it was originally 4.2V, I might struggle to give him some hard evidence to prove that. Is there such a thing?

The max voltage of any uncapped car (like your model) should provide the proof of 4.2 vmax. Or is it that the lawyer is insisting to have that data specifically from your car?

At the Kettleman City Supercharger earlier today, I parked next to a 100 Model S. The car had manufacturer plates and curiously, RHD.

So, I asked the techs when the 100S will be having cell voltage capped and gimped Supercharging rates. I showed them my 42 kW at 50%.

They mentioned the standard company line about battery degradation. I said that degradation has no affect on the max voltage per cell. I asked them why the batteries were now capped at 4.1 volts.

They decided to walk into the lounge.

I had the opposite approach from Alex today at the Manhattan beach mall. He said he was assisting with supercharger traffic and looking for feedback. I gave him feedback, while acknowledging the difficulty of his position. He was very patient, and interested in the saga of my P85DL from horsepower to auptopilot to launch mode to 1ft rollout to loss of cell voltage, performance, capacity and slowed supercharging.
He seemed genuinely interested, and said Musk was to visit his location in Dec, and he expected a lively discussion. I don’t, but I feel better.

That's right. Tesla could easily have capped the maximum voltage to 4.1 (90%) from the very beginning.

What they did wrong here is retroactively lower the capacity with a software update.

Back in 2006 Tesla limited the Roadster to 4.15 V according to this Tesla blog by Martin Eberhard .."why we have limited our maximum state of charge to 4.15V/cell instead of 4.2V/cell."

A Bit About Batteries

The max voltage of any uncapped car (like your model) should provide the proof of 4.2 vmax. Or is it that the lawyer is insisting to have that data specifically from your car?
No I haven’t met with him yet. But in telephone conversations they always emphasise to pre send all relevant documentation for them to pour over before we talk. And it just struck me, we all agree that 4.2V is the default setting, but lawyers (in UK) demand evidence proving everything. Taking a client's word won't cut it, particularly in court. Showing someone else’s data probably won’t cut it either. But if there isn’t any proof, then there isn’t any proof.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
If you are sharing an issue related to to the topic of the thread, please provide detail. Just saying "I have lost 20%" means nothing.

- What model car and year?
- 20% loss of what?
- What was before/after?
- When did you lose 20%, over time, sudden (when)?

Detail is important and you have provided none.

And, that's before you should say "Tesla clearly hate (premier paying) customers"!!!

OK heres the detail
model P85D
year 2016
range before = 250
range now = 190
range lost on the day software was installed - instantly

They have confirmed the association between the firmware update and loss of range. They have confirmed they will take no further action hence and I repeat ' Tesla clearly hate (premier paying) customers. Why else would you ignore people having caused this massive massive inconveniance? Do you need any more evidence?

Back in 2006 Tesla limited the Roadster to 4.15 V according to this Tesla blog by Martin Eberhard .."why we have limited our maximum state of charge to 4.15V/cell instead of 4.2V/cell."

A Bit About Batteries
It seems like Tesla reversed course on these:
* “Avoiding very high and very low states of charge. Voltages over 4.15V/cell (about 95 percent state of charge [SOC]) and voltages below 3.00V/cell (about 2 percent SOC) cause more stress on the insides of the cell (both physical and electrical).”

* “Avoiding very high charge rates. Charging faster than about C/2 (two hour charge) can reduce the cell's life.”

Perhaps the Panasonic 18650s used in Model S were presumed to be capable of handling a full 100% SOC and faster charging better than the original Roadster cells? There was about six years between the Roadster battery blog and the first Model S deliveries.

Then after a few fire investigations this year, they found they were wrong about the cells in some cars and Batterygate was born. Not everyone was affected, but Chargegate that was implemented soon afterward affected everyone.

In hindsight, how much of the current brouhaha could have been avoided from the start in 2012 by adhering to those guidelines and sacrificing roughly 15 miles of advertised range and adding 15 minutes to Supercharging 0% to 80% sessions, instead of the stealth nerfs that were applied in Spring 2019?

In hindsight, how much of the current brouhaha could have been avoided from the start in 2012 by adhering to those guidelines and sacrificing roughly 15 miles of advertised range and adding 15 minutes to Supercharging 0% to 80% sessions, instead of the stealth nerfs that were applied in Spring 2019?

By "current brouhaha", I take that as the 'damaged batteries'. If there is no wound there is no band-aid needed. The wound is caused by over the manufacture's overzealous behavior. The responsibility lies with Tesla.

By "current brouhaha", I take that as the 'damaged batteries'. If there is no wound there is no band-aid needed. The wound is caused by over the manufacture's overzealous behavior. The responsibility lies with Tesla.
So if I follow the reasoning how come the newer X and S cars don't seem to suffer? Did they improve the manufacture of the cells (same cells all along). Any '18 or '19 cars affected?

So I did a 100% at home with range mode on. Surprised at the voltage. Pretty sure I saw 4.2 with the same range and energy available a while ago.
View attachment 482446 View attachment 482447

Blimey - you were able to charge to 101% according to battery graph (100.9% on custom screen) ?

Also if I am reading this right and you divide your useable kWh capacity of 68.6 kWh by your rated range shown of 246 miles - that means that your internal fixed algorithm multiplier is 279 watts.

This is close to my 281 watts which according to @wk057 for an 85D used to be 290 watts?

Reactions: Droschke and DJRas
No I haven’t met with him yet. But in telephone conversations they always emphasise to pre send all relevant documentation for them to pour over before we talk. And it just struck me, we all agree that 4.2V is the default setting, but lawyers (in UK) demand evidence proving everything. Taking a client's word won't cut it, particularly in court. Showing someone else’s data probably won’t cut it either. But if there isn’t any proof, then there isn’t any proof.

After looking at some Tesla patents the closest thing I could find to a reference to 4.2 volts was from US 7782021 (Aug 2010) and US 8063757 (Nov 2011). Extract screen grabs of the relevant bits are shown below (they are basically the same). You can find the full patents on
Google Patents

I didn't check all Tesla Patents so you can have a look if you want!:- Privacy & Legal | Tesla

Attachments

• US 8063757 nov2011.jpg
    US 8063757 nov2011.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 53
  • US 7782021 aug2010.jpg
    US 7782021 aug2010.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 42