Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20191127_020854.jpg
I’m having the same problem also. I’ve had 2 updates and after it was done, the release notes were blank.
Here are release notes from right after my upate and setting for Scheduled Departure charging

Attachments

• 20191127_020905.jpg
    20191127_020905.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20191128_133137.jpg
    20191128_133137.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 59
It's like Tesla is doing everything they can now to get the batteries to last. Reduce charge capacity, reduce charge speed, run the cooling pumps constantly when parked if charged above 90%, reduce regen even more when cold. All seemed to be aimed at being easier on the battery. Most of these changes are recent. It's like they know these batteries are going to fail soon and they are desperate to get past the warranty period.

So I did a 100% at home with range mode on. Surprised at the voltage. Pretty sure I saw 4.2 with the same range and energy available a while ago.
View attachment 482446 View attachment 482447
Your AC/DC (13K/8K) charging ratio looks very healthy, much better than mine (2.5K/20K). If too much DCFC IS the trigger then I would be surprised if your battery was affected at all. I wonder if Tesla are quietly restricting Vmax (-0.025V) across the board just as a 'good thing to do'?

I had the opposite approach from Alex today at the Manhattan beach mall. He said he was assisting with supercharger traffic and looking for feedback. I gave him feedback, while acknowledging the difficulty of his position. He was very patient, and interested in the saga of my P85DL from horsepower to auptopilot to launch mode to 1ft rollout to loss of cell voltage, performance, capacity and slowed supercharging.
He seemed genuinely interested, and said Musk was to visit his location in Dec, and he expected a lively discussion. I don’t, but I feel better.
and onramp to offramp autopiot? i know, pie in the sky....

Reactions: Droschke
No I haven’t met with him yet. But in telephone conversations they always emphasise to pre send all relevant documentation for them to pour over before we talk. And it just struck me, we all agree that 4.2V is the default setting, but lawyers (in UK) demand evidence proving everything. Taking a client's word won't cut it, particularly in court. Showing someone else’s data probably won’t cut it either. But if there isn’t any proof, then there isn’t any proof.
My suggestion is to go buy 10 brand new 18650 cells. you can get them from any vape shop. and get an 18650 charger that shows voltage. charge each one fully til it reads 4.2v (and it will) and submit that as evidence. All non software limited 18650's should charge to 4.2v. I have some that are more than 4 years old and they still charge to 4.2v. They just discharge quicker. Same battery, same tech. Just no BMS imposed crippling.

The below is a quote from @Ingineer on a @wk057 post in relation to the tear down of an 85kWh pack I believe. On the ‘Pics/Info: Inside a battery pack’ post.

You are a bit off: In the 85/90 pack there are 16 modules in there each containing 444 cells for a total of 7,104. In each module there are 6 series strings of 74 cells in parallel, so that's essentially 96 large cells in series for the total pack.

Fully charged the pack is at around 400 volts, so that makes about 4.17 volts per cell.

Whilst standard 18650 cells generally charge to 4.2V, does that mean that a 85kWh pack was capped at 4.17V from new?

I note my own total pack voltage at 100% SoC is 393.25V. I’m assuming I divide this by my 96 cells in series on my 85kWh which provides the 4.096V across the cell?

Fully charged the pack is at around 400 volts, so that makes about 4.17 volts per cell.

Whilst standard 18650 cells generally charge to 4.2V, does that mean that a 85kWh pack was capped at 4.17V from new?

I note my own total pack voltage at 100% SoC is 393.25V. I’m assuming I divide this by my 96 cells in series on my 85kWh which provides the 4.096V across the cell?

The key thing is 'around 400 Volt'. The 85 pack cells charged to 4.2 volt originally. I remember seeing 403 Volt shown in my car at 100% charge back in 2014. 4.09x is what my max is right now after it was capped.

The key thing is 'around 400 Volt'. The 85 pack cells charged to 4.2 volt originally. I remember seeing 403 Volt shown in my car at 100% charge back in 2014. 4.09x is what my max is right now after it was capped.
I remember always seeing 404 v
I had a data logged from @lolachampcar a few years ago

I remember always seeing 404 v
I had a data logged from @lolachampcar a few years ago

True I remember seeing that number as well. To be fair, it is rounded. Looking at the CAN bus cell voltage is more accurate. Either way, we have plenty of evidence that 4.2 Volt was the original max voltage.

How are you finding the scheduled departure charging? I have yet to get the update with that in it. But might come in handy for me.
Are you using it?
It is in the charging screen where you could set the scheduled start time.
Now there is another one for Scheduled Departure.

I used it last night and set it to be ready at 7AM 90% charge.
It completed the 90% charge at 5:35AM... so not exactly accurate.
It MIGHT need to learn... but who knows.
BTW... my HPWC only charges at 40AMP because only single charger in the car.

Reactions: jkennebeck