Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember the sales pitch a year ago just before I bought my S, was 10% - 90% in 20 minutes. I drive a lot and this was pretty important to me.
Yesterday I stopped at the supercharger heading home.
It took 55 minutes to go from 32.4% to 79.8%.
Battery temp was 81.4 F when I got there 97.0 F when I left, so it wasn't too cold to take a decent charge. 53kw was the highest charge I got on an unpaired stall.

It's just painful!

I have a 450 mile each way trip at least once a month. I can handle 20 minutes. This is adding more than 2 hours to my 6 hour drive.

Argh!

Of course it is :rolleyes:

My pump seems to run only if I charge to more than 80% (70% as it's capped). Is that the case also for you?

So, basically if I charge to more than 70% of my battery the pump starts sucking the extra energy out of the pack for hours. Plus, I do not get more than 37kW starting at 35% SoC to 80-90%. That 37kW is my so called "Supercharging" speed, LOL.

Last edited:
My pump seems to run only if I charge to more than 80% (70% as it's capped). Is that the case also for you?

So, basically if I charge to more than 70% of my battery the pump starts sucking the extra energy out of the pack for hours. Plus, I do not get more than 37kW starting at 35% SoC to 80-90%. That 37kW is my so called "Supercharging" speed, LOL.

Mine comes on between 70-75% and then stays on. 70D

Hi guys,
I’ve got an impacted 70D with 60,000 miles from January 2016, so 4 years old now. About 59 KWh and 313 km typical range remaining with the usual slow supercharge rate.

Today I had to drive 250 miles to Sydney for a job interview, leaving early in the morning. I skipped the coffee but really perked up when 20 mins in I got ‘Car needs service, car may not restart’ message. It went away after 10 minutes but when I stopped at the next supercharger it showed up again and brought its ugly friend ‘Acceleration and top speed reduced, performance may be restored on next drive’. Super...

So I made it to the interview with wet hands and 15 minutes to spare after getting an emergency appointment with the SC, had a maximum of 100 KW power and no regen on the trip. Got through the interview successfully and against all odds the S started up afterwards. Given I’d arrived at the SC on a flatbed truck last month I didn’t take that for granted. Anyhow, the display showed 4% charge remaining when arriving at the SC and to their surprise I drove straight into the workshop because the door was open. They hooked it up to a charger in preparation to check the car and the HV battery completely conked out right away. The main error message from the car was ‘Isolation fault’ and from what I understand the most likely explanation for that and the associated shenanigans is that the HV battery is cactus and I’m in for a replacement.

I had noticed over the last few months (I’ve been following this thread since it was just six pages long) that quite a few of the original posters here have had their batteries replaced and now it may be my turn. So I’m wondering if, despite the software BMS changes that are so irksome with reduced range and charging, are the old batteries on the way out and dropping off one by one? That for those of us most affected, hopefully ‘batterygate’ will be addressed by natural attrition and replacement? That wouldn’t be the worst solution to that part of the problem, provided the warranty covers it.

So I’m hoping that the warranty covers my current problem and that the replacement isn’t a dud and gives me 200 miles+ because everything else would suck big time...

My 85D got those warnings on Friday and I dropped it off at SC Monday. They will be doing diagnostics tomorrow, but I fear it is a non-warranty item (coolant or heater etc rather than battery or motor). Currently using taxi and train to get around. I wonder what they will recommend for you in terms of fix.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
It feels like we are making some progress. I think the newly released HV diagnostics mean that Tesla has gotten somewhat of a handle on the root cause and how to detect it (no small feat), which allows them to scope the problem and start ramping-up supply chain and manufacturing with a fix.

I think it was @Droschke who offered the analogy that packs are either sick or terminally sick, which I think is turning out to be pretty apt. I think the downside to all this is that if you have a sick (not terminally sick) pack, you are in battery purgatory, hoping for a complete failure before you 8 years are up (kinda like the eMMC issue). Hopefully, as they ramp up the supply of replacement pack, Tesla will get more proactive and loosen the definition of terminally ill.

#sigh, as predicted...

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.50.47 AM.png

This is the stupid sh!t that irritates me--this was obviously not going to be an issue that mobile service could handle, but did not have an option to schedule anything other than mobile service so had to waste two days while they figured that out.

It feels like we are making some progress. I think the newly released HV diagnostics mean that Tesla has gotten somewhat of a handle on the root cause and how to detect it (no small feat), which allows them to scope the problem and start ramping-up supply chain and manufacturing with a fix.

I think it was @Droschke who offered the analogy that packs are either sick or terminally sick, which I think is turning out to be pretty apt. I think the downside to all this is that if you have a sick (not terminally sick) pack, you are in battery purgatory, hoping for a complete failure before you 8 years are up (kinda like the eMMC issue). Hopefully, as they ramp up the supply of replacement pack, Tesla will get more proactive and loosen the definition of terminally ill.

Yes, here it is:

2019.40.2.3 Logic.png

This is the stupid sh!t that irritates me--this was obviously not going to be an issue that mobile service could handle,

This drives me nuts. I have a booking in for mobile now that I know must be done at the service center cause the mobile guy told me that. Yet the appointment is in two days and crickets from Tesla on rescheduling me for a service center. I am betting the mobile guy shows up and says "oh, that has to be done at the service center". Well if I could book the service center direct I would! The app seems to randomly force me one way or the other.

I just called the service center and asked if the work could be done by mobile and he said, no not usually. I then told him I had been booked for mobile and is there a way to fix that. He said, oh, if you have been booked for mobile they MUST be able to do it!! :rolleyes:

/end rant/threadjacking

They didn't write the law just for Tesla. The law just says all auto manufacturers will be fined for not reporting within 5 days of discovering an issue.
Tesla discovered and investigated back in April/May. They're hundreds of days late so the fines go up.

We don't want laws written specifically for Tesla - that's how Michigan banned sales and service.

The action hasn't been processed. It is under review though. If a recall is deemed appropriate then their fine will be millions (but probably not the $700,000,000 that went to Takata).

Are you 100% certain that Tesla hasn't been keeping NHTSA in the loop as they are supposed to? How many people thought that Tesla had reviewed most of the SUA reports with NHTSA already? (Even before there was a defect petition.) There certainly wasn't anything posted publicly, that I saw, about that prior to Tesla's recent blog post.

Reactions: bhzmark