Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Changes Warranty Terms To Shield Against Recent Issues

WOW. just WOW. Tesla updates their warranty terms to state that can cap your battery pack capacity and performance at their discretion and that it is not covered under warranty. That obvious is their direct response to this thread and clearly shows the path they are taking about not fixing any of this on their own dollar. They also said this new warranty supersedes any previous warranty (which we know is not legal for them to do). They also said if you don’t click update when your car gets an update then your warranty is voided. Like holy *sugar* WTF are they smoking. Man between this and all that goodwill bullshit and not reporting defects warranty repairs they really don’t want take any responsibility for their own defects and mistakes.

They also added lines for not covering discoloration and wrinkles in the interior seats , I have to LOL on that one because of all the idiotic entitled owners posting pics on Facebook when they see a crease in their leather or bought white seats that got dirty and post that are making service appointments to get them replaced hahah

Also seems like they are reverting from their unlimited mile warranty and now capped it at 150k miles. Guess Tesloop’s not going to be happy about that one.

Yea, the only warranty terms that matter are the ones that were in effect when your vehicle was delivered. This is clearly a mistake which they've done before. I wouldn't be surprised to see this fixed shortly.

Well people can only speculate I guess from the moment that Tesla is so quite on this subject and its representatives try to convince us that our cars are just fine and that we are all suffering from some form of mass hallucination. Let's not forget that this nasty update happened some weeks after a really scary explosion in Shanghai. An EV exploding like that without even charging (not that it should make any difference) is very serious and does threaten the existence of Tesla so much, that it preferred to treat the early adopters like it does for so many months now (the same people Elon personally thanked for helping pay for the Model 3...) than announcing what they know. Tesla has not even reported this to NHTSA as a potential safety incident. they chose to go to court and be investigated. I wouldn't underestimate so much what this may mean for Tesla.
You're absolutely right on all counts. The person I'm replying to ran with a proposed "condition Z" that may or not exist, and they keep issisting Z is lithium plating - as in this kind of lithium plating - 73. LITHIUM PLATING IS IMMENSELY HAZARDOUS - Qnovo - while simultaneously trying to claim li plating is safe, when obviously it is not.

I doubt Tesla would intentionally hide anything "immensely hazardous" and refuse to fix it. Tesla has a reputation of continually amking the safest vehicles ever, and that reputation doesn't mesh with them secretly trying to make their cars the most dangerous ones on the road.

Those of us uninterested in gossiping about rumored labels like "Z" just want to hear the NHTSA weigh in. They have no financial motivation to lie to us and are the authority when it comes to safety, so something like that would allow me to once again park my car in my garage. Gossiping is pointless, official government involvement will fix us all.

If there is a condition Z, it is the reason I don't park my car where its secrecy could kill anyone. I don't want Tesla to be secretly hiding something hazardous from us all, but I also don't want to risk any lives since it looks like they could be.

Last edited:
Tesla Changes Warranty Terms To Shield Against Recent Issues

WOW. just WOW. Tesla updates their warranty terms to state that can cap your battery pack capacity and performance at their discretion and that it is not covered under warranty. That obvious is their direct response to this thread and clearly shows the path they are taking about not fixing any of this on their own dollar. They also said this new warranty supersedes any previous warranty (which we know is not legal for them to do). They also said if you don’t click update when your car gets an update then your warranty is voided. Like holy *sugar* WTF are they smoking. Man between this and all that goodwill bullshit and not reporting defects warranty repairs they really don’t want take any responsibility for their own defects and mistakes.

They also added lines for not covering discoloration and wrinkles in the interior seats , I have to LOL on that one because of all the idiotic entitled owners posting pics on Facebook when they see a crease in their leather or bought white seats that got dirty and post that are making service appointments to get them replaced hahah

Also seems like they are reverting from their unlimited mile warranty and now capped it at 150k miles. Guess Tesloop’s not going to be happy about that one.

FYI, this deserves it's own thread. "Tesla retroactively changes warranty terms". If this isn't a mistake, a whole new set of classes actions will spring up.

If you decide to update, Take time stamped pictures of your current rated range at full charge, take a video of your supercharging speed (if you haven't been effected by charge gate and battery gate). That way if your battery is nerfed you will have proof to compare it to. It is a shame that it has come down to reactions like this in dealing with Tesla.

...or just make sure you subscribe to teslafi :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
They also said this new warranty supersedes any previous warranty (which we know is not legal for them to do).

The actual online text changed a few times, but this bit is no longer accurate--its back to saying what every warranty was in effect when you purchased is the governing warranty:

upload_2020-2-11_7-35-15.png

You're absolutely right on all counts. The person I'm replying to ran with a proposed "condition Z" that may or not exist, and they keep issisting Z is lithium plating - as in this kind of lithium plating - 73. LITHIUM PLATING IS IMMENSELY HAZARDOUS - Qnovo - while simultaneously trying to claim li plating is safe and perfectly OK to keep secret. Of course you can't keep lethal dangers secret, especially when they are so bad they must be over-reacted to in secret... so we have a case of cognitive dissonance. Either there is no condition Z and we are all safe, or we have an immensely hazardous condition Z that is still a secret danger gone unaddressed for too long. They continually ask what "Condition Z" is despite Tesla not acknowledging one while suggesting it is both a a colossal danger and a non-issue.

Those of us uninterested in gossiping about rumored labels like "Z" just want to hear the NHTSA weigh in. They have no financial motivation to lie to us and are the authority when it comes to safety, so something like that would allow me to once again park my car in my garage. Gossiping is pointless, official government involvement will fix us all.

If there is a condition Z, it is the reason I don't park my car where its secrecy could kill anyone.
Agree. You are right, everyone is speculating everything at the moment. But I think we all know by the chain of events and the reaction of Tesla, that we are looking at a safety issue face on. It is just that we do not know yet how serious it is.

The actual online text changed a few times, but this bit is no longer accurate--its back to saying what every warranty was in effect when you purchased is the governing warranty:

View attachment 510169

Still misleading since the new warranty is suspiciously linked to the older car owners' My Tesla accounts. The bolded part (done by me) should be on the cover page, not only under the "Battery and Drive Unit" section!

Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of:
• Model S and Model X - 8 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period. Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the ... Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.

Last edited:
Agree. You are right, everyone is speculating everything at the moment. But I think we all know by the chain of events and the reaction of Tesla, that we are looking at a safety issue face on. It is just that we do not know yet how serious it is.
With the latest iteration of Tesla's warranty, it leans towards the nerfing of every Tesla that has been sold when it gets close to the end of it's warranty. This is to protect Tesla from honoring any battery replacement thus saving them millions of $$$$. Yes I agree that everything is speculation but there is clear and concise evidence in Tesla's behavior. Battery Gate and Charge Gate on older vehicles and now a change in the battery warranty on all future vehicles. The potential to nerf all vehicles at their whim and vailed threats if you don't download an update. This is not the way to take care of customers or to sell a warrantied item....PERIOD.

Last edited:
I agree with @Gixx1300R - Tesla's new language says they will batterygate every car, for any reason, eventually. That's a pretty big change and it stopped me from shopping new Teslas, I was pretty close to discarding my disposable Tesla in favor of an inventory Standard Range raven (if you're OK with it being gimped in the warranty itself, check out the prices - AND they're at least as fast as a P85).

Regarding the forced updates, here is some info.
My S85 as been at a recommended Tesla dealer for about 20 days now to make some bodywork repairs due to an accident.
When i left it there, my S85 SW was still on 2019.32.12.7 because (fortunately) it wasn't able to make updates due to a missing door handle mechanism that was taken off because it was damaged.
I specifically asked the guys at the dealer NOT to make any SW updates once the door handle mechanism was repaired, because i would do (or not) the updates myself later.
But on the 4th of February i got a message on my phone saying the SW 2020.4.1 had been installed... i was like WTF!
The next day i went to the dealer and asked if they had done the update and why since i specifically asked them not to.
They guaranteed me no one there had installed any update, so i thought maybe they had installed the door handle mechanism and Tesla forced the update, but to my amazement i then saw the door handle mechanism was still out of the car...

My conclusion is that Tesla wanted to force the SW update installation so badly that this time it even bypassed the hardware check that was previously preventing the installation because of the missing door handle mechanism.

Last edited:
With the latest iteration of Tesla's warranty, it leans towards the nerfing of every Tesla that has been sold when it gets close to the end of it's warranty. This is to protect Tesla from honoring any battery replacement thus saving them millions of $$$$. Yes I agree that everything is speculation but there is clear and concise evidence in Tesla's behavior. Battery Gate and Charge Gate on older vehicles and now a change in the battery warranty on all future vehicles. The potential to nerf all vehicles at their whim and vailed threats if you don't download an update. This is not the way to take care of customers or to sell a warrantied item....PERIOD.
Totally. I mean I would understand if they would choose to just sacrifice us early adopters because Gen 1 cell warranties were overly optimistic (how else would most of us agree to buy such an expensive car without that?). This is just fraud. But with the warranty update, Tesla seems to be in a suicide mission. Who would ask us older owners about Tesla without us screaming back to them to stay away and explain what they are signing up for if they buy one?

I have an additional reason to be concerned about updating. I reached the 2500 WOT count limit on my Ludicrous battery. It's a counter that prior to v10 triggered a battery replacement which I'm now told is no longer necessary because the new software ignores the counter and doesn't display the error message.

There was no consequence to hitting this limit. I didn't lose power, range, or charge speed and the tech told me it was fine to drive it like this without updating to v10(in email).

But what really happens to this battery state with v10? Why is the counter there in the first place? It only happens on L upgraded 85's. Not 90s or or 100s. I have a strong suspicion that it is related to the size of the bus bar in the pack. The performance 90 pack got a beefier upgraded bus. My guess is that there was some concern over the longevity of this part at the 1525 amps the P85DL battery makes.

It could be that they simply wanted to examine batteries that hit this counter to make sure they're doing ok. But it's also possible that they already knew these upgraded packs would be limited in how many times they could safely WOT at 1525 amps. If the latter, then it's likely the reason V10 ignores the counter is because it probably would reduce max current (i.e. taking away Ludicrous).

I have a feeling I'm going to find out soon.

Still misleading since the new warranty is suspiciously linked to the older car owners' My Tesla accounts. The bolded part (done by me) should be on the cover page, not only under the "Battery and Drive Unit" section!

Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of:
• Model S and Model X - 8 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period. Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the ... Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.
I'd say that's probably just a tech issue. It def clearly states the new warranty is for new cars on the front page
upload_2020-2-11_13-50-39.png

Reactions: bhzmark

Well, yeah in a perfect world, they would have enough web and doc mgmt chops to link to the proper docs for each car/owner or someone would have taken the time to properly re-draft the section from scratch instead of a running set of hacks, but here we are....

I would not agree with that setiment. The new pack checks the following boxes for me:
  • Take me to a rated range/capacity close to where I was pre-16.x, the equivalent of 10% which in line with the degradation curve prior to the "updates"
  • Charges to 100%
  • Charges to 90% and 100% on my HPWC in reasonable time
The only thing left to check is speed on a Supercharger.

I am not expecting a 265 mile/77.5 kWh pack as that's not what the warranty states and I also don't think that's reasonable expectation for a 7-year-old car. As I have stated before, I think Tesla has honored the spirit of the warranty.

I catch up on this thread every few days and it always strikes me how reasonable your posts are among all the shouting. If you keep this up, I'm writing your name down as a write-in candidate in November.