Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t show your rated miles on this Scan My Tesla screenshot. What are the rated miles now compared to when it was new? What update gave you the sudden loss of range, and how much change did you see?
Have uploaded rated miles (km)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190707-132709.jpg
    Screenshot_20190707-132709.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Informative
Reactions: ran349
The Full rated range show 329 km or 204.4 miles. With a full usable pack of 46.7 kWh they are using 228 Wh/mile.
THAT IS RIDICULOUS!

What is your average typical Wh/mile on the dash display (or trips display)?
300Wh/mile is my average typical in summer.at 100% rated is 205 miles now, and typical is 162, so I believe the miles reported by the app are identical to those displayed on the dash.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJRas
It was very noticeable as well as The degraded regeneration.
In fact it damn near caused an accident today when some asshat decided to push their way onto the freeway and I had a car on my left. I gave it full acceleration and it barely got out of the way.
Still better than my old four-cylinder gas car but it scared the piss out of me and my wife.

This is beyond just safety this is just plain stupid.

Somebody’s trying to save a buck. It’s not gonna cost them that much to replace whatever failed module they need to replace if one is bad.
They need to start rebuilding batteries and just exchange them before somebody gets killed because of this.

can you bump it up from Chill to Sport or from Sport to Insane/Ludicrous offset somewhat? Or were you already in an aggressive acceleration mode and still felt that limited?

Last edited:
In this case, there is no physical limitation and the pack can still be charged to the original pre-update capacity. I've fully confirmed this with the NVRAM reset of my one client's BMS, which is happily charging to right around his original 100% capacity right now.
So will this do normal degradation at this point and is there a safety concern of overcharging the battery? I think I need to clarify. When you say original 100% capacity, I took it to mean original new battery capacity rather than degraded battery prior to 2019.16.x firmware.

Last edited:
Your are at 205 miles now. What was the full rated range when new?
Hi, would have been 232, but based on 58.6kWh usable, so 250w/mile. Now the range would be based on 46.7kWh, for 205 miles that's 218w/mile !.. at 250w/mile would only give me 186 rated miles !

Though I do have my reservations over the usable now, it looks like it subtracts the energy buffer of 2.8kWh, off the nominal, but if the new nominal already takes this into account, then the calculation isn't real ?.. also, when I've recently monitored kWh going in when supercharging, I've calculated usable battery to be 49.5kWh, same as nominal. See image below rated miles at around 98% back in December last year.

Attachments

• 20181202_150641.jpg
    20181202_150641.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Reactions: DJRas
They definitely did make a public statement:

“We are revising charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles via an over-the-air software update that will begin rolling out today, to help further protect the battery and improve battery longevity,”

Data that is not analyzed is not information. They need to analyze, test, link it it to results and completely verify, not announce suppositions, or they will certainly be accused of providing misinformation or outright lying if any part or what they reveal should turn out to be wrong.

They have said what they believe they can without running headlong into a legal and PR minefield.

Except that "begin rolling out today" means this is not the update that software capped capacity last month.

How do I output log files?.. I don't have any history, other than photos of range and kWh charge gone in when Supercharging

By pressing the RED DOT on the bottom right side, that starts recording a log (of the tab that you are on). If you press and hold that dot, it will show you the different formats you can output. Select CSV and CAN dump which I think wk007 is asking for.

So for example after you long press and select the file formats, if you press the red dot when you are on the BMS tab at the top, it will start logging until you press the red dot again.

Note if you do not see a red dot, it's a known bug, but if you press the bottom right corner it will still work.
Note2: The tabs at the top disappear when the logging starts.

I'm not clear what wk007 wants for you to log and if you're not sure either you can log the "all" tab maybe with 10 minutes of charging and a few minutes of driving? you can ask him to clarify instead I guess

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Icer