Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Tesla SeC a downgrade is not possible. Since it is security related, any discussion in the past to this matter was purged from open forums. I will not provide content which will violate the security and thus force the mods to taking action. Thanks for your understanding!

Another reason I've been on 2018.28.5 since August of 2018. Full range. Full supercharger speed. Full power.

I am a long time watcher of the forum, this is my first post. My car was initially in the affected group but has now transitioned back into the unaffected group by a process of 0.01volt increases in maximum cell voltage which were occurring every 2-3 weeks. To illustrate here is a photo taken in November 2019 shortly after I invested in an OBD link and SMT.
Charge Capped 4.1v at 100%.jpg

Clearly, the maximum cell voltage was 4.099 volts. From memory, the Usable kW was around 70.
Move on to December 2020 and things have changed for the better.
Uncapped Dec 2020.jpg

The maximum cell voltage is now 4.198v and usable kW is up to 76.9. Range at 90% has gone up from 214 to 232, and range at 100% is up from 238 to 257 (miles). This was a gradual process over a few months. I am up to date with firmware. The car is a 2016 85D with 34k miles, UK supplied. Mostly charged using a local supercharger (but only every 1-2 weeks usually), very little AC charging.
I just thought that I should mention this given that it's not something which I have noticed being demonstrated on here before (but I haven't forensically searched all 700 pages!). I have no explanation for this behaviour at all, but I am very pleased nonetheless.

I am a long time watcher of the forum, this is my first post. My car was initially in the affected group but has now transitioned back into the unaffected group by a process of 0.01volt increases in maximum cell voltage which were occurring every 2-3 weeks. To illustrate here is a photo taken in November 2019 shortly after I invested in an OBD link and SMT.
View attachment 626765

Clearly, the maximum cell voltage was 4.099 volts. From memory, the Usable kW was around 70.
Move on to December 2020 and things have changed for the better.View attachment 626766
The maximum cell voltage is now 4.198v and usable kW is up to 76.9. Range at 90% has gone up from 214 to 232, and range at 100% is up from 238 to 257 (miles). This was a gradual process over a few months. I am up to date with firmware. The car is a 2016 85D with 34k miles, UK supplied. Mostly charged using a local supercharger (but only every 1-2 weeks usually), very little AC charging.
I just thought that I should mention this given that it's not something which I have noticed being demonstrated on here before (but I haven't forensically searched all 700 pages!). I have no explanation for this behaviour at all, but I am very pleased nonetheless.
Interesting. Unfortunately, I still have not got Squat. Quite the opposite. My range has gone down again. :( But according to Tesla, nothing is wrong, move along.
The latest update MAY fix some things for some people, but I wouldn't know. I only got 2 updates on the day of release: Batterygate and Charegegate. All other updates usually lag a month behind. (and yes, the car has wifi 12 hours a day, and set to advanced updates).

View attachment 626765

Move on to December 2020 and things have changed for the better.View attachment 626766

Thanks for your informative feedback. You are correct about "... I ... mention this given that it's not something which I have noticed being demonstrated on here before ...". We have less than a handful of owners reporting some or all of their lost capacity restored. Many have not. So, your feedback is welcoming.

FYI, none of my lost capacity has been restored and I'm always up to date on software.

Reactions: gmo43
I must mention that none of the incremental 0.01volt increases occurred at the same time as any of the various software updates so far as I could see. So there was no immediately apparent change in maximum cell voltage after each update, but the increments came at reasonably regular intervals based on time.The original loss of range was rather more sudden.
It's no a completely rosy picture for me, in that the charging speed is very low at the moment, at about %+kW=95 up to %+kW=115 when the battery is very warm. But it always has been slow in cold weather so it's hard to tell.

I must mention that none of the incremental 0.01volt increases occurred at the same time as any of the various software updates so far as I could see. So there was no immediately apparent change in maximum cell voltage after each update, but the increments came at reasonably regular intervals based on time.The original loss of range was rather more sudden.
It's no a completely rosy picture for me, in that the charging speed is very low at the moment, at about %+kW=95 up to %+kW=115 when the battery is very warm. But it always has been slow in cold weather so it's hard to tell.

Thanks for the insights, for my part I can also confirm: No change of the brick max voltage after a several updates, latest was 2020.36.11, stuck at 4.11V and this equals ~96% soc, leveling starts below 90%soc. Charging speed at SuC, CHAdeMO and now CCS decreased further and is depending more on battery/ambient temperature albeit pre-heating is not enough for high charge rates. Thus Fall, Winter and Spring is worse than ever, so far.

I've noticed you're MCU still shows the Tesla T, thus I presume you are running not 2020.48.26 or above? Would you be so kind to share the Version you are using and if you choose to purchase the CCS upgrade?

Regarding charge rates at SuC or CCS: AFAIK the charge rates are internally limited by the BMS. I wonder whether the Charge Rates could also limited by Tesla through the SuC, e.g. when one is using an older software (e.g. v8 or v9) and if this would result in better charge rates with the CCS Adapter at a non Tesla "super" charger?

BR! Oaito.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
I've noticed you're MCU still shows the Tesla T, thus I presume you are running not 2020.48.26 or above? Would you be so kind to share the Version you are using and if you choose to purchase the CCS upgrade?
According to TeslaFi, there are very few 85-pack cars which have received 2020.48.26 or higher.
(Two on 2020.48.26 and 35 on 2020.48.30 as of right now).
The rollout of 2020.48.30 was going strong for a while but has petered out.

• Informative
Do you think one needs to charge to 100% in order to see if any capacity is indeed restored?

How about your pumps/fan running non-stop for hours if you charge to higher SoC before/after your capacity restoration?

I guess that's the only way to find out if current fw allows cells to reach 4.2v.

@Digs, do you have your fans running excessively / continuously at those high SOC levels?

• Helpful
To satisfy my curiosity, I have occasionally supercharged to 100% but more typically charge to 90%.I have noticed that the first cells to reach maximum voltage will occur at about 92% so that will be as high as you need to go to establish the maximum. From there on it's just a case of the other cells catching up and in the process the cell voltage difference reduces but it is painfully slow near the end.
I have not upgraded to CCS- I am unsure whether it would make much of an improvement to the charging speed given how old the car is now.
In terms of fans running, it's no different to how it has always been. If I charge to 90% I would typically not hear any fan activity, but going above 90% might result in a brief fan start, but never for more than a minute or two. The cell temperatures will tend to be at around 30 degrees celcius at the start of charging, rising to mid 40s after 30 minutes, and then cooling off gradually to below 30 (but without obvious fan activity) towards 90%. So in terms of running fans, my experience is quite different to many others on here.
My only thoughts about my charging routine are that although I am in the habit of supercharging rather than home charging, the car nevers stays at a high state of charge for any length of time. The drive home will reduce it by 8-10%, so the most it ever has overnight would be around 80%. And with the low mileage the number of charge cycles is relatively low and quite well separated in time.
Again, I have only observations and no clue as to why my car seems to have been given back it's range (by range, I mean as defined by maximum cell voltage achieved and usable kW as reported by SMT, plus the miles remaining read out in the car)

How do these numbers look? I’m kinda confused about who got capped etc... (2014 MS85)

Attachments

• CD446941-AE6F-4EBE-A9BF-6C7C8ED46D00.jpeg
    CD446941-AE6F-4EBE-A9BF-6C7C8ED46D00.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 7E5CF942-2E13-41D0-92EA-E8C754FEC34F.jpeg
    7E5CF942-2E13-41D0-92EA-E8C754FEC34F.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 93BBE30F-77DD-4C3D-BE58-A14D648EB2A8.jpeg
    93BBE30F-77DD-4C3D-BE58-A14D648EB2A8.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 50
How do these numbers look? I’m kinda confused about who got capped etc... (2014 MS85)

Looks like you are allowed up to 4.2V, so apparently not capped, but likely charge rate reduced.

What is the car doing when you took the pictures? (Missing parts of the SMT screens). Quite a high volt difference between high and low cells assuming little current flowing.

Last edited: