Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.38.49 PM.png

I retained all of the texts between myself and the Tesla Service Center.

#1 False claim "We have confirmed that your vehicle is experiencing a reduction in supercharging rates due to the vehicle's past supercharging usage. The vehicle has seen a high use of superchargers throughout its' life."

First when I initially purchased the vehicle there were no Supercharges in my area. I had Level 2 changing at work that I primarily used before installing a Level 2 Charger at home. Second I was not the first owner, I purchased this as Tesla CPO so even if the the first owner had performed excess supercharging that should have no impact on me.

View attachment 665723

#1 False claim "We have confirmed that your vehicle is experiencing a reduction in supercharging rates due to the vehicle's past supercharging usage. The vehicle has seen a high use of superchargers throughout its' life."

First when I initially purchased the vehicle there were no Supercharges in my area. I had Level 2 changing at work that I primarily used before installing a Level 2 Charger at home. Second I was not the first owner, I purchased this as Tesla CPO so even if the the first owner had performed excess supercharging that should have no impact on me.
Liars... sorry, but prevarication does not quite describe what you were told.

There should be no reduction in charging speeds below total accumulated10000 KwH of DC chargung

You can prove this on a 2014 ish and later car, by getting a reader, adapter cable and SMT or equal App.

Said App will show all DC charging since new.

I have less than 3000 KwH of DC, yet I am charge gated on the same 2019 update that borked all of us.

View attachment 665723

I wish I could mark the post as "sad" or "angry" or anything more meaningful than thumbs up.... Anyway, you can get your SC usage from your Tesla page. Log in and then click on the "Charging" tab. Once you are on that page there is a small down arrow icon that you can download all your Supercharging history if you are curious and don't have the cable/app/bluetooth device to view the car's actual SC usage.

1621890510407.png

Very frustrating that Tesla makes these changes so that they don't have a bunch of warranty claims within 8 years of the battery. they'll string ya along until you are out of warranty and then make you pay to replace it once it is actually dead.

"There is no software update that would change the characteristics of the charging rate" What?!? o_O That is exactly what happened in the past multiple times!

It would be curious if someone ASKED Tesla to reduce their rate to protect their battery what their response would be 🙃

• Informative
Reactions: Whiteblaze
However the warrenty was disclosed and there was disclosure on reduction of supercharging rates and mileage. I did not agree the the latter.
That's like saying vehicle mileage put on the car by a previous owner shouldn't count against warranty miles.
[IMG alt="DonovanMS85D"]https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/data/avatars/l/99/99736.jpg?1586548124[/IMG]

However the warranty was disclosed and there was no disclosure on reduction of supercharging rates and mileage. I did not agree to the latter.

Reactions: sdoorex and Guy V
However the warrenty was disclosed and there was no disclosure on reduction of supercharging rates and mileage. I did not agree the the latter.

Actually the warranty did pretty much does cover that:

The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and
use.
Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT
covered under this Battery Limited Warranty. See your owner documentation for important
information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery.

energy=range/mileage
power=Kw/HP/Supercharging rate

You can argue about their use of the word gradual, but other than that they did disclose it.

Reactions: bhzmark
Actually the warranty did pretty much does cover that:

energy=range/mileage
power=Kw/HP/Supercharging rate

You can argue about their use of the word gradual, but other than that they did disclose it.
I agree on the gradual loss. They did not disclose that they would throttle the charge rates from originally 150kWh to 50kWh nor did they disclose that they would cut the range by approximately 28 miles with a software update, I would call that a sudden loss of range.

That's like saying vehicle mileage put on the car by a previous owner shouldn't count against warranty miles.
They didn't count in the CPO warranty, and the battery/power train were changed to 8 years/unlimited miles early on. There was no mention of any supercharging limits in the warrantees, maybe because there weren't yet any superchargers then? ;)

Hahaha I don't even remember what the original was anymore! I know that when I just went on a trip with it I noticed it took way longer than before
When brand new, ORIGINALLY, before any restrictions or de-restrictions, your max would have been about 115-120kW at LOW SOC. In your photos, the SOC is TOO HIGH to be able to really determine. Check again at around 10% SOC.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
When brand new, ORIGINALLY, before any restrictions or de-restrictions, your max would have been about 115-120kW at LOW SOC. In your photos, the SOC is TOO HIGH to be able to really determine. Check again at around 10% SOC.
I actually did start at like....7% on this charge. When I started the max hit 110KW, however it stayed there for only about....5-6 seconds? Then immediately started falling in KW. I am doing a commute tomorrow and will leave my car unplugged tonight. What should I capture and log to see how badly my vehicle has been affected?

I actually did start at like....7% on this charge. When I started the max hit 110KW, however it stayed there for only about....5-6 seconds? Then immediately started falling in KW. I am doing a commute tomorrow and will leave my car unplugged tonight. What should I capture and log to see how badly my vehicle has been affected?
Expect 105-110 as a unitless sum between battery % and charge rate

Reactions: aerodyne