Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s data show that 1,743 Model S vehicles in the United States ...57 have had battery replacement. This is quite interesting and the first we got such data (from my understanding)

May 2019 to July 2021 = 3.3% battery replacement/failure rate over 26 months or ~1.6% failure per 1 year? That seems pretty high to me... Anyone else? Trying to make the decision to keep my 2013 or trade it in/sell it.

Wish Tesla had some sustainable battery replacement option that wasn't 22k.

Well I was wrong, it appears that they didn't put the wrong date, it just took a little longer than the expected...

Big news: There is a proposed settlement.

They estimated that actual damages were $175/vehicle, and that it would be risky to even get that at trial, so the $625/vehicle settlement is a good deal for the class.

Of course the attorney's take 27%, ~$410k, of the settlement fund. While DJRas gets $1,000 for his effort.
Any chance you can upload all the docs from the docket so we can read them? Or send it to my via private message. Thanks

Tesla’s data show that 1,743 Model S vehicles in the United States ...57 have had battery replacement. This is quite interesting and the first we got such data (from my understanding)

May 2019 to July 2021 = 3.3% battery replacement/failure rate over 26 months or ~1.6% failure per 1 year? That seems pretty high to me... Anyone else? Trying to make the decision to keep my 2013 or trade it in/sell it.

Wish Tesla had some sustainable battery replacement option that wasn't 22k.
”Tesla’s data show that 1,743 Model S vehicles in the United States were subject to a 10% maximum voltage limitation caused by a May 2019 software update.”

So that failure rate only applies to those cars.

This has been arduouus (to put it mildly).
I am satisfied that this IS the best we could get.
I believe that without my (and especially my legal team's efforts and their hired experts) we would have been permanently capped at 10% capacity loss.
My car has been restored to the full 4.2v capacity and is about 15% degraded at 190,000 miles and almost 7 years. I find that acceptable.
Additionally, the software updates through late 2020 vastly improved the diagnostic capabilities that from my expert's analysis does protect the battery from fire failure and has properly identified many faulty batteries that have been now replaced under warranty.

Charge rate reduction was not part of this lawsuit because that occurred AFTER we filed. Though that affects many more people, it will be difficult to bring action because there was never a guaranteed charge rate (the wording was always "up to"). Additionally, it is legally difficult to assess and assign a monetary loss due to the extra time now required.

I believe that without my (and especially my legal team's efforts and their hired experts) we would have been permanently capped at 10% capacity loss.
My car has been restored to the full 4.2v capacity and is about 15% degraded at 190,000 miles and almost 7 years. I find that acceptable.
Additionally, the software updates through late 2020 vastly improved the diagnostic capabilities that from my expert's analysis does protect the battery from fire failure and has properly identified many faulty batteries that have been now replaced under warranty.

Charge rate reduction was not part of this lawsuit because that occurred AFTER we filed. Though that affects many more people, it will be difficult to bring action because there was never a guaranteed charge rate (the wording was always "up to"). Additionally, it is legally difficult to assess and assign a monetary loss due to the extra time now required.

Perhaps not a really fair solution for all those affected, but huge thanks to you David for all this effort.
I moved on a long time ago, sold my S85 (that was just partially capped) and got a X 100D, so i'm curious to know if my previous S85 has gain any range lately.

David - Thanks for all your hard work. You have definitely helped lots of affected owners with your time, energy and diligence. You also proved and got Tesla to admit that they indeed did cap our packs' voltage and the capacity we (have) lost wasn't "normal degradation" as the hecklers insisted.

David - Thanks for all your hard work. You have definitely helped lots of affected owners with your time, energy and diligence. You also proved and got Tesla to admit that they indeed did cap our packs' voltage and the capacity we (have) lost wasn't "normal degradation" as the hecklers insisted.
And this victory lets other owners get a foot in the door, if Tesla tries to nerf other newer packs...

And this victory lets other owners get a foot in the door, if Tesla tries to nerf other newer packs...

Correct. Without David's effort those owners who got their capacity restored or got their packs replaced would still be living with the consequences of 2019.16.x.

Unfortunately, my capacity hasn’t been restored to this date but I’m super happy for the rest of us.

Thank you for all you have done for all Tesla early owners. Will all 2013 model S owners be entitled to compensation (are we all members of the class)?
Not from how I read it:

All United States residents who, anytime during the period from May 15, 2019 through September 1, 2020, owned or leased a Tesla Model S vehicle that experienced a limitation of maximum battery voltage as the result of the software update issued by Tesla in May 2019.

So only the 1,743 vehicles that had the cap applied are members of the class.

Is that the case though, I thought the most recent warranty requires the owner to accept all software updates and whatever might be contained within them to 'protect the battery' etc. (noted the warranty in force when the car was purchased is the one that applies)

• Informative
Reactions: gmo43 and Droschke