Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is this at certain SOCs? Mine will drain the battery actively above 80% SOC. So normal vampire drain is 1-2mi per day, while above 80 is up to 4mi/hour

I returned from a day trip Wednesday evening with about 32% SOC. About 24 hours later, the SOC was 29%. It might be that these days, our garage is ~85 degrees or more. But I've also noticed similar reductions in January when the garage is in the 40s.

Another reason for rapid vampire drain is old 12v battery. Car is powering up and charging it more often and draining the HV. Mine goes in cycles. 4-5 miles per day (mpd) on temperate days overnight in the garage. 8-10 mpd when really hot in garage. Up to 15 mpd once every 1.5 weeks, probably charging the 12v on that day.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Speaking of electric vehicle battery fires, here is good article about a Chevy Bolt catching fire, and explaining that the Chevy Bolt has recently received a software update for a recall to prevent fires in the car. I don't follow this as closely as many others here but I certainly haven't seen this on the front pages of the media as it is with Tesla.

Of course Chevy doesn't just sneak in the update in the middle of the night, owners unknowing other than the information of "bugs and fixes", they have to drive to the dealer for a lengthy service appointment, labeled a recall, and therefore there is full disclosure regarding the details for the update.

I suppose this is the difference between a car company and a technology company.

Yes but unlike companies that actually fix issues Chevy has had multiple rounds of recalls on the Bolt and continued to have cars catching on fire even after the software updates that were supposed to prevent that.

Holding Chevy up as better than Tesla isn't going to work out well for you here. I can document the heck out of how bad the Chevy situation is and it's worse than the Tesla situation.

to wit: I'm willing to park a Tesla in my garage overnight, any year any model. I'm not willing to do so with a Chevrolet Bolt 2017-2019 and I'd be undecided about a newer bolt considering how bad they've handled the current issue.

Reactions: WhiteWi
to wit: I'm willing to park a Tesla in my garage overnight, any year any model. I'm not willing to do so with a Chevrolet Bolt 2017-2019 and I'd be undecided about a newer bolt considering how bad they've handled the current issue.

Chevy has not taken two years to disclose issues as Tesla has done here. They also are spending 800 million to fix the issue vs 1.5million in Tesla's case.

I am actually an owner of a Bolt '19 which is seemingly not part of the recall apparently because my battery was assembled in the USA unlike the ones in the recall.

Chevy has not taken two years to disclose issues as Tesla has done here. They also are spending 800 million to fix the issue vs 1.5million in Tesla's case.

I am actually an owner of a Bolt '19 which is seemingly not part of the recall apparently because my battery was assembled in the USA unlike the ones in the recall.

No Chevy told people not to worry while Bolts burned houses down.

There isn't video like that of a Tesla in someones garage After a software update was applied to prevent such.

There aren't cases for Tesla where they applied two separate software fixes in a row and cars still kept catching on fire to the tune of 10 fires in just over a year (shortly pre-July 1, 2020 to July 1, 2021).

List of known Chevy Bolt Fires – All EV Info shows a list.

Sure Tesla has made mistakes and I'm fine with saying that owners in this thread deserve to have pack replacements or significant discounts on a newer Tesla or something that keeps the situation from being a major financial loss for the Tesla customer.

I'm just sayin I don't see Chevy as the beacon of light to point to. They have plenty of problems also, arguably worse than Tesla in many ways.

Last edited:
Well, this is a good news:

Sounds like they are just doing it to get modules to analyze to try to come up with another software fix. Or at least a way to not replace them all.

These modules will be sent back to GM and LG for a forensic analysis. GM will try to find the defects and figure out if an in-situ detection method can be devised. They hope that they will be able to find a pattern or come up with a reliable detection mechanism. The big caveat is that if they are able to detect all modules that are defective, then only those modules will be replaced going forwards.

Reactions: WhiteWi
The thing that REALLY cheeses me off... I have gotten NO restoration... They KNEW about my range loss, since I was one of the first to complain about it before even the service centers knew about it. So that means Tesla saying that the data is not available is pretty much a lie to the court. And each time I complained, I got the standard longevity BS, and told that a future update would restore some or all of it. NOW they call it degradation, since the warrantee is done?
What a total load :( So much for being one of their FOUNDING buyers (meaning that without US, there would not be Tesla).

The thing that REALLY cheeses me off... I have gotten NO restoration... They KNEW about my range loss, since I was one of the first to complain about it before even the service centers knew about it. So that means Tesla saying that the data is not available is pretty much a lie to the court. And each time I complained, I got the standard longevity BS, and told that a future update would restore some or all of it. NOW they call it degradation, since the warrantee is done?
What a total load :( So much for being one of their FOUNDING buyers (meaning that without US, there would not be Tesla).
What is most concerning is that Tesla can do this again in the future to bypass battery warranty claims. I also have no gotten any restoration. My battery is sitting at 57Kw on a 85Kw pack. Tesla waited until the warranty expired and now I am stuck with something that should have been covered.

What is most concerning is that Tesla can do this again in the future to bypass battery warranty claims. I also have no gotten any restoration. My battery is sitting at 57Kw on a 85Kw pack. Tesla waited until the warranty expired and now I am stuck with something that should have been covered.
Ya, funny that PRIOR to the warrantee expiring, it was "to protect the longevity" and "A future update should restore most if not all", but now its degredation (sudden), not to protect the battery or you supercharged too much. Where I am from, they call that lying and fraud.

Very true. Like someone said before, part of this deal should have been to extend battery warranty for the duration of the reduction in capacity, and guarantee it will never happen again. The fact that it wasn't part of the deal, indicates prolonging until some warranties expire was likely the strategy all along as multiple people pointed out here previously. Also, it wouldn't be surprising to see reduction in capacity through SW as these batteries age to prevent warranty claims.
The two lesson they learned is they can do this again and there will be no repercussions, and second, no-one so far challenged the notion of who owns the car (not saying I expected that from the DJRas' lawsuit, to be clear, it is a separate matter). Literally almost everyone paid 80k or more for the car, and yet do not really own it. I have a feeling if this happened to any other luxury brand, there would be consequences.
And after all said and done, I'm not convinced that range calculations weren't changed during this process and that's in part how range was "returned". No matter how conservative I drive, when car is charged >90% soc, miles will go really fast, and Whr/mi stays high too. I do not think it was like that before battery gate. Once I drop to 80%, I get better Whr/mi. In addition, nowadays, if battery is in 70s F, Whr/mi will be much higher than if it's in 80s or 90s. That definitely wasn't like that before. It had to be in 50s before I'd see a significant difference in Whr/mi. Nothing about battery has changed during this process, only SW has changed.
In any case, trust has been broken here and they clearly have not done enough to restore it, so I remain skeptical.

Of interest from the recall note I just received:
My battery will be swapped (or they say modules will be swapped) with the newest battery technology which will increase my original battery size by at least 8 percent.
Will be interesting to see how they do this logistically and in the meantime I am now supposed not to charge above 90 percent or deplete below 30 percent or so.

Reactions: Droschke
Ingesting part Is they say do not charge or leave in the garage.

on a different note, this article seems to say Tesla solved this problem at roadster time…:)
How Tesla engineers solved the problem of exploding EV batteries
does anyone know if 85/70s batteries are the same as what was used in roadster? (Minus the size)

Ingesting part Is they say do not charge or leave in the garage.

on a different note, this article seems to say Tesla solved this problem at roadster time…:)
How Tesla engineers solved the problem of exploding EV batteries
does anyone know if 85/70s batteries are the same as what was used in roadster? (Minus the size)
Roadster batteries were an off-the-shelf basically laptop cell not designed for EV's, as Tesla couldn't get a manufacturer to take them seriously enough to custom make cells. The 60/70/85 packs use a different chemistry than the roadsters.

• Informative
Reactions: mymagiccarpet