Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the date got pushed back to July 5th. They are still waiting for Rear Suspension arms. Even though I have air suspension, the new battery is heavier, needing the stronger suspension parts for stability. They said they are still covered at no charge by Tesla :)
So, the "retrofit kit" is the rear suspension arms? It's weird that no one else to my knowledge with the same battery you are receiving has mentioned anything about the rear suspension arm upgrade required.

As someone with this updated 350v battery in my 2012S, I am curious about the rear suspension arms now being required. Does anyone have data on the weight of the new battery vs the original 85?
I think I will go now and take a pic of my sticker that shows the vehicles gross weight... I would THINK that if there were a significant change in weight, it would have to be changed to comply with DMV regs. I will compare it once the install is done.
OR they may be starting to do it now as an additional CYA (just in case)...
Dunno, but if thats what they wanna do, the more new parts on my car for free the better! :)

I think I will go now and take a pic of my sticker that shows the vehicles gross weight... I would THINK that if there were a significant change in weight, it would have to be changed to comply with DMV regs. I will compare it once the install is done.
OR they may be starting to do it now as an additional CYA (just in case)...
Dunno, but if thats what they wanna do, the more new parts on my car for free the better! :)
You lucky dog

Reactions: lightningltd
I see the latest version of the Tesla App (IPhone) no longer shows miles when you change the charge percent slider. I hope that is a bug (facepalm)
I was gonna post this. In early May I updated my App for the arrival of the new car, and noted the same thing.

Greater than zero chance this is on purpose.

As noted many times here, the old cars do not have a degradation clause in the warranty, but the new ones do. Being able to see at a glance that your RM is more than 30% degraded from the EPA rating would certainly increase the warranty claims.

It's just par for the course, and goes along with things like rounding up SoC, and gradually including the buffer in the range calculation.

I just wonder what shenanigans are ahead for the refresh MS.

Reactions: lightningltd
I was gonna post after I brought the car into service (per the 'letter') but I have some uncanny timing. I had initially set an appt for May 2 however it was set as mobile service so they changed it to May 17.

May 16, they reached out to basically say that they didn't have all the parts for repairs, and rescheduled to May 30.

May 27, they reached out again to say that they still didn't have all the parts, and rescheduled for June 13.

The evening of June 8th I get the dreaded BMS_u18 message, it basically cut the range in half. When I parked the car before that message, the battery SoC was at 73%. After the BMS_u018 message popped up, the battery SoC showed 98%.

The following morning, June 9th the BMS_u018 message was no longer present and the battery SoC had returned to 'normal'. Car was fine both June 9 and 10. I had charged to 80% SoC the morning of June 10th. Parked the car at the end of the day June 10th with 62% SoC.

The morning of June 11, the BMS_u018 message was back. This time with about a 90% drop in range. Battery SoC show 100%. Assumed it would 'self-heal' like it did last time. However, this (June 12) morning battery SoC is at 0% and will not charge. It just quickly switches from Ready to Charge, Starting to Charge, Charge Complete when plugging in.

I sent screenshots over to the service center via the app. Shortly thereafter, got confirmation for the service appt tomorrow (June 13).

Now just have to arrange a tow unless it self-heals by tomorrow. Crossing finger!

I was gonna post after I brought the car into service (per the 'letter') but I have some uncanny timing. I had initially set an appt for May 2 however it was set as mobile service so they changed it to May 17.

May 16, they reached out to basically say that they didn't have all the parts for repairs, and rescheduled to May 30.

May 27, they reached out again to say that they still didn't have all the parts, and rescheduled for June 13.

The evening of June 8th I get the dreaded BMS_u18 message, it basically cut the range in half. When I parked the car before that message, the battery SoC was at 73%. After the BMS_u018 message popped up, the battery SoC showed 98%.

The following morning, June 9th the BMS_u018 message was no longer present and the battery SoC had returned to 'normal'. Car was fine both June 9 and 10. I had charged to 80% SoC the morning of June 10th. Parked the car at the end of the day June 10th with 62% SoC.

The morning of June 11, the BMS_u018 message was back. This time with about a 90% drop in range. Battery SoC show 100%. Assumed it would 'self-heal' like it did last time. However, this (June 12) morning battery SoC is at 0% and will not charge. It just quickly switches from Ready to Charge, Starting to Charge, Charge Complete when plugging in.

I sent screenshots over to the service center via the app. Shortly thereafter, got confirmation for the service appt tomorrow (June 13).

Now just have to arrange a tow unless it self-heals by tomorrow. Crossing finger!

I believe this is the first time you are posting in this thread and I'm assuming your car battery voltage was capped by Tesla since you are mentioning the "letter".

Would you confirm?

Did you receive the letter from Tesla as reported here?

If so, when did you get that letter?

Last edited:
I believe this is the first time you are posting in this thread and I'm assuming your car battery voltage was capped by Tesla since you are mentioning the "letter".

Would you confirm?

Did you receive the letter from Tesla as reported here?

If so, when did you get that letter?
Yes...the 'letter' was received late April, postmarked Apr 21

Reactions: DJRas and Droschke
Thanks. Would you tell us a bit more about the history of your car as it relates to the voltage limitation topic? Model, year, mileage, lost range, etc?
2014 MS85, 105k, gated with the 2019 update...I'd estimate (anecdotally) full range at ~210m prior to BMS_u018 message. Oddly, I just checked and 12v was discharged, hooked up 12v to charger and SoC says 100% but 0miles range. Still will not charge. Keeping trickle on the 12v overnight and hopefully I'll be able to drive it onto the truck tomorrow to service center.

2014 MS85, 105k, gated with the 2019 update...I'd estimate (anecdotally) full range at ~210m prior to BMS_u018 message. Oddly, I just checked and 12v was discharged, hooked up 12v to charger and SoC says 100% but 0miles range. Still will not charge. Keeping trickle on the 12v overnight and hopefully I'll be able to drive it onto the truck tomorrow to service center.

Thanks. To this date, there are only 3 owners in this thread who have reported receiving the "letter".

Keep us updated here with the battery replacement, especially its part number. Good luck!

Reactions: DJRas
Looks like the date got pushed back to July 5th. They are still waiting for Rear Suspension arms. Even though I have air suspension, the new battery is heavier, needing the stronger suspension parts for stability. They said they are still covered at no charge by Tesla :)

Really curious about this "Rear Suspension arms" requirement. I thought the 1014116 battery you are getting has 14 modules vs.16.

Hard to believe it's still heavier than a 16-module ones.

Reactions: DJRas
FYI

CLERK'S NOTICE CONVERTING MOTION HEARING TO ZOOM WEBINAR HEARING and NOTICE OF REQUIRED REGISTRATION. Motion Hearing as to 58 MOTION for Attorney Fees and Expenses, and Service Award [CORRECTED] , 60 MOTION for Settlement - Final Approval of Class Settlement set for 6/16/2022 09:00 AM before Judge Beth Labson Freeman will be held via a Zoom webinar. Webinar Access: All counsel, members of the public, and media may access the webinar information at [LINK:Freeman, Beth L. [BLF] | United States District Court, Northern District of California] Court Appearances: Advanced notice is required of counsel or parties who wish to be identified by the court as making an appearance or will be participating in the argument at the hearing. A list of names and emails must be sent to the CRD at [email protected] no later than 6/14/2022, at 2:00 PM PST. General Order 58. Persons granted access to court proceedings held by telephone or videoconference are reminded that photographing, recording, and rebroadcasting of court proceedings, including screenshots or other visual copying of a hearing, is absolutely prohibited. Zoom Guidance and Setup: [LINK:Preparing to Participate in a Zoom Video Conference | United States District Court, Northern District of California] (This is a text-only entry generated by the court.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Really curious about this "Rear Suspension arms" requirement. I thought the 1014116 battery you are getting has 14 modules vs.16.

Hard to believe it's still heavier than a 16-module ones.
It may be because its a revision C battery...
I think Revision A said 85kw, suspect revision B may have been the one with 2 modules removed. Don't know what a revision C really is, since as far as I know there have been no tear-downs on this revision since its such a 'unicorn'.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I think Revision A said 85kw, suspect revision B may have been the one with 2 modules removed.

For those who are interested in 350VDC packs, below are from their labels reported under various threads at TMC:

Non-Reman
1014116-00-A 85kWh 350VDC
1014116-00-B 90kWh 350VDC
1014116-00-C 90kWh 350VDC

Reman:
1597780-01-A 85kWh 350VDC

FYI

CLERK'S NOTICE CONVERTING MOTION HEARING TO ZOOM WEBINAR HEARING and NOTICE OF REQUIRED REGISTRATION. Motion Hearing as to 58 MOTION for Attorney Fees and Expenses, and Service Award [CORRECTED] , 60 MOTION for Settlement - Final Approval of Class Settlement set for 6/16/2022 09:00 AM before Judge Beth Labson Freeman will be held via a Zoom webinar. Webinar Access: All counsel, members of the public, and media may access the webinar information at [LINK:Freeman, Beth L. [BLF] | United States District Court, Northern District of California] Court Appearances: Advanced notice is required of counsel or parties who wish to be identified by the court as making an appearance or will be participating in the argument at the hearing. A list of names and emails must be sent to the CRD at [email protected] no later than 6/14/2022, at 2:00 PM PST. General Order 58. Persons granted access to court proceedings held by telephone or videoconference are reminded that photographing, recording, and rebroadcasting of court proceedings, including screenshots or other visual copying of a hearing, is absolutely prohibited. Zoom Guidance and Setup: [LINK:Preparing to Participate in a Zoom Video Conference | United States District Court, Northern District of California] (This is a text-only entry generated by the court.
Sorry but what does that all mean?

FYI

Sorry but what does that all mean?

It means they are going to have the final approval hearing on 6/16/2022 as planned.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I have neither been contacted by Tesla nor any attorney regarding my lower battery capacity, slower Supercharging sessions, and presumed reduction in performance with respect to our 2013 S 85. In early 2019, we had a consistent displayed range of 256 miles. After a software update in June 2019 our maximum range was instantly reduced to 246 miles while experiencing slower Supercharging sessions. Over the last 3 years/20K miles of driving and numerous software updates, we've seen the maximum range fluctuate from 232-244 miles. Unfortunately since March 2022 our maximum range has been steady at 236 miles. How does one confirm if their Tesla is included? I don't know if there is something physically wrong with the car or battery pack. What I can speculate is that software updates have diminished the utility and convenience of the vehicle. I'm sure I'm not the one experiencing this.